Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > The Showcase

Old 07-06-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Beautiful work - so, do you polish off the head-badge now?
Ideally with a lot of delicate xacto knife work the head-badge should still be nicely polished, maybe with some tape residue needing to be removed. Usually after painting and removing the masking I will take 1500 and 2000 grit paper to sand the edges then polish everything up on last time.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:02 AM

And I think I'm calling it done!

Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 AM

Continuing with this Stainless road frame. Milling the dropout for an internal rear derailleur cable

Reynolds 953 and KVA stainless

Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 AM

thats pretty hot. dig the internal routing idea
the gravel mountain we rode up and over is currently on fire!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM

spiffy
Old 07-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
thats pretty hot. dig the internal routing idea
the gravel mountain we rode up and over is currently on fire!
That's a bummer, glad I made it up this last week instead of the upcoming week.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 PM

All stainless road bike starting to come together. This has been a start stop project for myself, when I'm not busy working on someone else's bike I get to work on this one. It will be with me next March at the NAHBS in Sacramento.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:16 PM

Here's a frame Aaron built for me with a good photo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dbBdvrA9P4paB6TB7
Old 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM

That looks great Igor, I dig that build.

Last edited by 8aaron8; 08-05-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Some process shots here. First, the internal derailleur cable that will pass through the chainstay and exit the dropout. The small hole is where the tunnel will begin near the bottom bracket shell. Second, is the stainless fork blades. On top are the pre-rakes Reynolds 953 blades and the bottom are KVA stainless blades that I raked. I had to pack them with sand to prevent any creasing. It was pretty difficult even with leverage to pull these across my mandrel. Third, is tacking the rear end together using Alex Meade's free standing jig system which uses the surface plate as the jig's backing. And the last photo shows the head lugs after a little clean up of the silver flashing. This frame is going to show off a few different stainless finishes with no paint what so ever. I'm looking forward to the end result.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 AM

Working with stainless is really a labor of love. Here is the seat lug prior to using any buffing wheels or rouges. I take the lugs out to 2000 grit to make sure that there aren't any scars so when I polish them up they look great. This all stainless road frame is going to show off a few different stainless finish options. Stay tuned

Old 08-11-2018, 10:51 AM

This kid is getting better everytime....
Old 08-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Yup, and he's as nice as they come! if you are after some classic vibes, and want to see your bike at NAhbs, why not give Aaron a shout?
Old 08-12-2018, 12:13 AM

Would love to but I do not have dough for going custom at least here in the US, in my country yes but the problem is that nobody is building steel over there anymore, chinese imports killed the local industry like in 1998, actually everything started with super cheap chinese aluminum frames and carbon forks. The master who built all my stuff when I was racing died like 2 years ago, the other one has not touched a torch maybe in 15 years and he is just doing repairs and if im not wrong is the rep for fox forks or something like that... the other 2 guys nobody knows, they closed their shops long time ago. The interesting of those builders is that none of them had a jig, all of them had tables and stuff but no jig neither power tools like press drills and stuff, all of them had a campagnolo box tho... 2 of them certified reynolds aswell, really old school stuff.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 AM

It's definitely more slow going without using a jig but I do like the physicality of the process. I have tried two jigs in the past, neither were on the upper end of the spectrum like Anvil or Sputnik, and they were beyond ridiculous trying to get them set up. With my surface plate and the free standing jig that Alex Meade makes it's pretty quick and I can overlay my frame over a drawing so I no the end result is exactly what was agreed upon. Should I ever come across a nicer jig at the right price I would probably jump on it as I love tooling and learning how to use them. Unfortunately, I don't have the Campagnolo tool box but I do have a number of the tools from the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Would love to but I do not have dough for going custom at least here in the US, in my country yes but the problem is that nobody is building steel over there anymore, chinese imports killed the local industry like in 1998, actually everything started with super cheap chinese aluminum frames and carbon forks. The master who built all my stuff when I was racing died like 2 years ago, the other one has not touched a torch maybe in 15 years and he is just doing repairs and if im not wrong is the rep for fox forks or something like that... the other 2 guys nobody knows, they closed their shops long time ago. The interesting of those builders is that none of them had a jig, all of them had tables and stuff but no jig neither power tools like press drills and stuff, all of them had a campagnolo box tho... 2 of them certified reynolds aswell, really old school stuff.