Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
This is always kind of baffling to me. If you climb enough in training to be in the lead group at Le Tour, shouldn't you also have an equal amount of experience going down?
He probably doesn't "push it" in training. High speed descending, like anything else needs to be practiced. If you use downhills as "rest" during training, you most likely won't be too confident when you have to attack on them.

Is there any credence to what Paul was saying about Zakarin being too high a cg to descend properly? Kinda makes sense, he couldn't seem to get low enough.

Agree with above, DuMoulin was already behind on the straight part, though the moto probably helped at the end. I thought as he was saying it that they all were basically together at the top, on a 12 mile descent you just got out-cornered.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I find Dumoulin's comments disappointing. I just rewatched the descent. Roglic was a better descender and he had a gap long before the short flat. Dumoulin could just not keep up with him.

Jeff

Agree. I like TD, but he should be mad at himself, not a moto. He rode like a Sky domestique. Rule #1 in racing: "in order to win, you have to be prepared to lose". He should have sat on Thomas' wheel and said " OK, let's give Roglic the yellow". In the last 30km, Thomas looked to be the only Sky guy who could bring Roglic back. Sit on his wheel, then counter when he catches him. Worst possible outcome would be that TD drops to 3rd. Best outcome: Tour win. Instead, he chased for the last 30km, and got jumped on the line. L'amateur by Sunweb.