Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 10:18 AM

Embiid had some rather telling comments over the weekend about lacking an offensive identity and not being sure how they're going to play come playoff time.

I just get the sense this group doesn't like each other very much, and the bailout of giving the ball to Butler and letting him create in the playoffs isn't there this year.

Hawks got Capela at least. He solves a big rim running/rim protection issue they've had.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Embiid had some rather telling comments over the weekend about lacking an offensive identity and not being sure how they're going to play come playoff time.

I just get the sense this group doesn't like each other very much, and the bailout of giving the ball to Butler and letting him create in the playoffs isn't there this year.

Hawks got Capela at least. He solves a big rim running/rim protection issue they've had.
Horford had some cryptic comments too about some guys needing to take a look in the mirror. Philly could beat Milwaukee in the conference finals or semis, and they could also lose in the first round to Miami/Tdot/Boston.

What are the Hawks doing with Capela-Dedmon-Collins?
Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Horford had some cryptic comments too about some guys needing to take a look in the mirror. Philly could beat Milwaukee in the conference finals or semis, and they could also lose in the first round to Miami/Tdot/Boston.

What are the Hawks doing with Capela-Dedmon-Collins?
Capela will start, Dedmon off the bench. Collins the stretch 4, for good or ill. He's a turnstyle against 5s, and I think they're of the mind his range will still give Trae the spacing he needs with Capela on the floor. Who knows how it'll work in reality, they may need to end up staggering the Collins/Capela minutes.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Capela will start, Dedmon off the bench. Collins the stretch 4, for good or ill. He's a turnstyle against 5s, and I think they're of the mind his range will still give Trae the spacing he needs with Capela on the floor. Who knows how it'll work in reality, they may need to end up staggering the Collins/Capela minutes.
I do like the idea of giving Trae a lob threat to run PNR with. I think ATL's biggest challenge over the next 3-5 years is getting some plus defenders in there and developing a coherent defensive identity that can hide Trae.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I do like the idea of giving Trae a lob threat to run PNR with. I think ATL's biggest challenge over the next 3-5 years is getting some plus defenders in there and developing a coherent defensive identity that can hide Trae.
The other school of thought is that you bring down Trae's offensive usage from the stratospheric level its at right now -- really, the offense just disappears as soon as he sits because, well, he's the offense -- that you'll get some better defensive effort out of him since he's not saving it all for the other end of the floor. No matter how many 3 and D guys you surround Trae with, he's going to need to do more than what he's giving on that end of the floor right now. Putting his arms up for starters would help.

So a more diverse offensive identity less reliant on Trae might help improve the defensive end of the floor, and help that points per possession not completely crater when Trae sits, in theory anyways.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:22 PM

Trade deadline is getting wild.

I think Calpela will work well in ATL but only time will tell
Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 PM

What is Myers doing? A bet that Wiggins can be rehabbed and DLo will never be a winning player? They spent an awful lot to get DLo this summer.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
What is Myers doing? A bet that Wiggins can be rehabbed and DLo will never be a winning player? They spent an awful lot to get DLo this summer.
We’re all scratching our heads over here. flipping Wiggins for somethin??? Trying to stay under the repeater luxury tax??
Old 02-06-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
We’re all scratching our heads over here. flipping Wiggins for somethin??? Trying to stay under the repeater luxury tax??
The tax part I get. Wiggins is a neg value contract. Unless you think he can turn that around and become approx as good as Harrison Barnes, not sure that you are getting value here.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
It was more a cap space move than anything else. And the first round pick is top 20 protected, so the Warriors will be keeping that and it'll roll into some second rounders in 5 or 6 years for the Nets.

And they're getting a 2021 top 3 protected pick for taking on what is a big deal for Wiggins, but the guy's only 21 and maybe that Golden State culture gets him going in the right direction?

D'Lo is duplicative once Thompson and Curry are back, and Wiggins is more complementary to those guys than another backcourt player?

He's still only 24.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:05 PM

When is Curry coming back? I have tickets for a March 7th game.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Haha. You must've sold your Mosaic to get them. Still shocked at how much tix are going for.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
He's getting re-evaluated in early March and they're sorting it out from there. My guess is you don't see him or Klay this year.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly. The other nite against Boston Trae was outstanding, but they had no defense.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
He's getting re-evaluated in early March and they're sorting it out from there. My guess is you don't see him or Klay this year.
Thx