Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 07-15-2020, 06:05 PM

2020/21 Kona Hei Hei

Andy’s posting of his Transition Spur got me to put this up. New version of Kona’s Hei Hei. 120/120, 67.5ha, 465mm reach. New skool xc geo but not too progressive for a “retired” xc dork.

I swapped the SRAM stuff for XTR m9100 and some custom wheels. Still need to install the dropper but (this is my only gripe) the internal routing is kinda a PITA especially when it’s 90 in the garage still at 9pm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBD2BD26-032C-4E76-9889-61B6FE72EA5B.jpg (93.1 KB, 369 views)
Old 07-15-2020, 08:45 PM

cool bike

this kona hei hei is a wicked sano sled. it sucks that it kinda got stepped on by the slobbering over the transition and the revel.

did that bike not come with a dropper?
Old 07-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villgaxx View Post
this kona hei hei is a wicked sano sled. it sucks that it kinda got stepped on by the slobbering over the transition and the revel.

did that bike not come with a dropper?
it did come with a fox transfer, it's sitting on my work bench. it didn't have the little barrel connector thingy for the bottom of the post in the parts box so the shop had to get one. as i mentioned the internal routing isn't exactly easy and i haven't gotten the cable housing routed yet. will try again today i think. i've also put on a 70mm stem, pictured is a 90.

vitalmtb is coming out with a review in the next day or so, so maybe the stepping on will be stepped on. it is more XC than the spur an the revel but it's supposed to be, which for me in my area is what i need.

Last edited by dougefresh; 07-16-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:10 AM
what's a little rust?

Kerry's videos make it look good and Pinkbike gave it a good review. I want to ride one!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:22 AM

Nice! How are you liking the seated climbing position on this bike? The seat tube angle is somewhat conservative by the new standards.

Sizing is a little funky for 6'2", 34" inseam me - there's a pretty big jump in ETT from L to XL, putting me right in between sizes with my preferred stem length. Otherwise would definitely be on the list to consider.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Nice! How are you liking the seated climbing position on this bike? The seat tube angle is somewhat conservative by the new standards.

Sizing is a little funky for 6'2", 34" inseam me - there's a pretty big jump in ETT from L to XL, putting me right in between sizes with my preferred stem length. Otherwise would definitely be on the list to consider.
Agreed on the big jump from L to XL. I'm 6'1.5" but with a short 32" inseam. I went for a large but considered a XL. I went large so I could have some seatpost exposed. I did need to go to a 70mm stem from the stock 60mm. With a XL I'd need to be on a silly short stem.

This bike climbs very well IMO. The seat angle isn't super progressive but it keeps you well forward on the steep stuff. The suspension on the climbs really keeps the back wheel sucked to the trail.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:54 AM

no hei hei in the pinkbike field test

that's sorta disappointing. more than sorta. i'm a kona proponent, and it seems they're getting their lunch eaten by transition this year. pinkbike doubled-up on the speshy and cannondale bikes cuz money, but I also would never buy those bikes in a billion years and would much rather see how the hei hei matches up with the spur and the ranger. kona is underexposed these days, and that's not a good sign.

I would also like to see the hei hei built up with the new sid suspension.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villgaxx View Post
that's sorta disappointing. more than sorta. i'm a kona proponent, and it seems they're getting their lunch eaten by transition this year. pinkbike doubled-up on the speshy and cannondale bikes cuz money, but I also would never buy those bikes in a billion years and would much rather see how the hei hei matches up with the spur and the ranger. kona is underexposed these days, and that's not a good sign.
current hei hei got a full review on Pinkbike last spring
Old 08-01-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
current hei hei got a full review on Pinkbike last spring
not so much, atmo; the video was titled first look & ride as part of their pond beaver silliness. the written review was more detailed and was clearly put together after the video, but we all know nobody reads and pinkbike and all the rest are branded by their video content.

I wanna know where transition got the cash to pass around during this apocalypse...

or maybe the new bikes really are that good.

irregardless sick, kona's fallin' behind.

the process x had better be a hit with the cool kids...
Old 08-02-2020, 06:23 AM

Great looking bike. Big fan of Kona bikes as well. (KonaSS=Kona Single Speed)

Had my eye on the new Hei Hei - I do cross country and XC marathon, and I think lost interest in the new Hei Hei based on some comment on Pinkbike that it didn't feel very snappy for racing.

Ended up with the new Specialized Epic. Did what you did, pulled of the brand new Sram X01 kit and added new XTR. Only a couple rides so far, but really like it. Would love to compare to the Kona some day.