Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 12:44 PM

Enve Wheel Build Questions

I have a set of CK hubs that I am planning a wheel build for. I am considering the ENVE 3.4 SES clincher (tubeless compatible) rims.

I know there are tons of reports on these rims but if anyone can provide insight or a strong option on the following, I'd really appreciate it!

1. Is tubeless setup reliable, relatively easy day-to-day? I have read that going tubeless can change the tension on these wheel builds. I have always used tubes for road bikes.

2. Is there a best tire to avoid sidewall wear? I have read that these rims are not the kindest to tires.

3. Are they durable for riding day-to-day? A long time ago I had a set of Zipp 303; nice wheels but race day only.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2020, 12:49 PM

one thing that has always annoyed me about ENVE rims is the internal nipples. more of a pain in the butt to build, and you need to remove a tire and rim tape to true.

senseless. i do not consider any "aero" benefits of going to internal nips worth the hassle around them.

that didnt answer your questions, but my POV on enve.

i also think enve had top notch carbon wheels when carbon wheels first started to show up, but now other mfg's have caught up and enve no longer commands the high price they charge.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 PM

1. no issues. you'll be fine
2. see below
3. RIDE THEM EVERY DAY

From the enve site:
"ENVE SES 2.2, 3.4, 5.6, 7.8, 3.4 Disc, 5.6 Disc, 7.8 Disc, SES Rear Disc Wheel – There are no limitations on tire compatibility with these wheel models. Your ENVE SES wheels may be set up and run with inner-tubes and non-tubeless tires or tubeless (TL) and tubeless ready (TLR) tires alike. We recommend the use of a Tubeless (TL) or Tubeless Ready (TLR) 700x25c tire set up tubeless to maximize aerodynamics, rolling resistance, crosswind stability, and your ride experience.

Non-Tubeless Setup (i.e. I want to run inner-tubes) – Each ENVE SES wheelset is delivered with one roll of RED, model specific, ENVE tested and approved tubeless rim tape. This tape should be installed regardless of whether you intend to run your wheels tubeless or not. Do not run cloth or plastic (including ENVE) non-tubeless compatible rim tape or strips. Plastic rim strips and cloth tapes are too thick, bridge the drop-center rim channel, and will make installation and removal of tires extremely difficult. Click here for our tubeless tape installation video.

Cotton and/or Natural Fiber Sidewall Tires – ENVE does NOT RECOMMEND the use of cotton or natural fiber sidewall non-tubeless tires with ENVE SES wheelsets for EVERYDAY USE. These tires are intended for high-performance racing applications only. If you choose to run these tires, please inspect your tires after each ride for cuts, tears, and any signs of abrasion and/or wear in the sidewall and at the location of the rim/tire interface. If any wear and/or damage is identified, replace before riding. Riders who choose to run tires with cotton or natural fiber sidewalls do so at their own risk."
Old 07-14-2020, 01:23 PM
ergottWheels

I have set up tires on current gen rims and it's been very easy while still being secure. Tension drop was less dramatic and I attribute that to companies starting to pay attention to acceptable range of fit, but also my sample size is still relatively small. Long term durability of Enve rims has been excellent from my experience. With disc brakes rims aren't even really a wear item so apart from an unfortunate accident, there's really nothing to fail long term.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses and information - much appreciated!

The other rim I was considering is the new Mavic CXP Pro Carbon; however, I have yet to see ant reviews on this as a custom wheel build... The ENVE brake track and advertised heat resistance is attractive.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:54 PM

I have a set of 4.5s.

Love them:

1. Never tried tubeless.

2. Meh. I'm big at 215, and rode cotton sidewalls on these for a couple of years with no issues. I run higher pressures, though. Currently on Pirelli p-zeros, and these have shown no signs of sidewall wear at all over 1300 miles so far. Nice tire, and supple for their construction. If you like cotton sidewall tires, run them at higher pressures. Seems that the issue only really comes with the cotton tires under larger riders at relatively lower pressures. For reference, on 25s (that are really 27s) I run 95/90).

3. Yes, everyday strong and tough, especially if you clean them regularly.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
I have a set of 4.5s.

Love them:

1. Never tried tubeless.

2. Meh. I'm big at 215, and rode cotton sidewalls on these for a couple of years with no issues. I run higher pressures, though. Currently on Pirelli p-zeros, and these have shown no signs of sidewall wear at all over 1300 miles so far. Nice tire, and supple for their construction. If you like cotton sidewall tires, run them at higher pressures. Seems that the issue only really comes with the cotton tires under larger riders at relatively lower pressures. For reference, on 25s (that are really 27s) I run 95/90).

3. Yes, everyday strong and tough, especially if you clean them regularly.

I am also considering the 4.5s; a bit of hesitation on the tubeless - maybe unfounded. Good to know the rims are tough!
Old 07-14-2020, 11:47 PM

For the last few years (well before the G23 came out) I’ve been using the latest gen 3.4’s as my gravel wheels and have been very pleased with them.

I run them tubeless, and Have had zero issues. I prefer them because they are hooked. Yes, I’m probably in the minority in that regard, but I have yet to understand how hookless is better for wheels of this size and pressure... and not just a cost savings for manufacturers.

FWIW, I also had the prior gen 3.4’s and the latest gen has better handling in crosswinds.

To each his own, but for me, having destroyed a few Chinese rebrands prior... it was a good investment.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:35 AM

I own 4.5's and 6.7''s and have owned 3.4's all in tubular. I have found all of Enve wheels to be bombproof after destroying carbon wheels from Reynolds, Corima and Zipp. The braking surface on the newer 4.5's and 3.4's is just fine for me but lacking on the older generation 6.7's. I sold my 3.4's. I always had the perception that I was going faster for the same effort on the deeper wheels. If I had a set of hubs that I needed to match with a reliable rim I would definitely pick Enve. Sorry I can't help on the tubeless part of the question.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:55 AM

I have 4.5ARs. I'm 185lb and not exactly "easy" on gear. These wheels have remained true for about 7k mi now and tubeless is great (IMO).

I used to get flats regularly from road debris here in the Boston suburbs (glass, etc). but that almost never happens anymore with tubeless. They can be tough to set up (fit on the rim is SUPER tight) but is worth the near-elimination of flats.

In my experience, it's key to use the tire brands/models approved by ENVE. I have had issues with some non-approved brands (e.g. Conti 5000 GPs).
Old 07-15-2020, 09:50 AM

I'd add that, if you're buying new, ENVE has a reputation for being very good with warranty and any other issues, if they occur.

When I was shopping for deeper carbon wheels, I tried Zipps, Enve, Reynolds, Boyds...nothing felt as lively as the ENVEs. And the LBS pointed out that the had no weight limit.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
I have 4.5ARs. I'm 185lb and not exactly "easy" on gear. These wheels have remained true for about 7k mi now and tubeless is great (IMO).

I used to get flats regularly from road debris here in the Boston suburbs (glass, etc). but that almost never happens anymore with tubeless. They can be tough to set up (fit on the rim is SUPER tight) but is worth the near-elimination of flats.

In my experience, it's key to use the tire brands/models approved by ENVE. I have had issues with some non-approved brands (e.g. Conti 5000 GPs).
Appreciate your insight!
Old 07-16-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
I own 4.5's and 6.7''s and have owned 3.4's all in tubular. I have found all of Enve wheels to be bombproof after destroying carbon wheels from Reynolds, Corima and Zipp. The braking surface on the newer 4.5's and 3.4's is just fine for me but lacking on the older generation 6.7's. I sold my 3.4's. I always had the perception that I was going faster for the same effort on the deeper wheels. If I had a set of hubs that I needed to match with a reliable rim I would definitely pick Enve. Sorry I can't help on the tubeless part of the question.
That's great to know, thank you!
Old 07-16-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
For the last few years (well before the G23 came out) I’ve been using the latest gen 3.4’s as my gravel wheels and have been very pleased with them.

I run them tubeless, and Have had zero issues. I prefer them because they are hooked. Yes, I’m probably in the minority in that regard, but I have yet to understand how hookless is better for wheels of this size and pressure... and not just a cost savings for manufacturers.

FWIW, I also had the prior gen 3.4’s and the latest gen has better handling in crosswinds.

To each his own, but for me, having destroyed a few Chinese rebrands prior... it was a good investment.

Thanks - I was wondering about the hooked technology
Old 07-16-2020, 08:07 AM

Enve Wheel Build Questions

Had the 4.5AR set up tubeless with G-One Speed 30mm and CK r45d hubset.
Cutting it short. One of the worst wheelset I have owned.

1. I had 3 pairs of ENVE from factory with CK hubs and all of them went out of true within couple of weeks. Maybe things have improved in the past year, but two years ago I felt that QC was a bit of an issue there. I get it, new wheels and new spokes sometime need time to settle, but with bladed spokes and proper stress relieve this shouldn’t be an issue.

2 as rightly pointed out above, internal nipples with tubeless is nonsense. Every time you need to true the wheel, you have to take tire and tape off. It’s ridiculous if you ask me. I had plenty of other tubeless road tires with external nipples and they worked very well; so, despite all their propaganda, I really see no advantage of having internal nipples.

3. The AR were hookless. Since you don’t have a hook, the tolerances were crazy tight. Install and setting the Schwalbe was ok, removing them, oh boy, it was one of the hardest thing I have seen. The idea of riding solo and attempting to remove the tire in the middle of nowhere pushed me to sell the wheels. I didn’t regret once.

When people ask me which wheels I would recommend for a road disc setup I keep pointing them toward Reynolds (the AR for road or ATR for gravel) or a custom set using whichever rims you like. If u have an experienced wheel builder such as Ergot you will have a much better set for pretty much the same price.
I opted for LB rims and I9 Torch disc and I couldn’t be happier. Wide, hooked and external nipples. So far, spotless.

Last edited by NoMoreParagon; 07-16-2020 at 08:14 AM.