Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 PM

Not sure why they ever stopped making the Rivendell Rambouillet.

There is still a market for that somewhat traditional frame/bike especially if you look at all the other companies who still make it: Surly, All-City, Black Mountain Cycles, etc.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Not sure why they ever stopped making the Rivendell Rambouillet.

There is still a market for that somewhat traditional frame/bike especially if you look at all the other companies who still make it: Surly, All-City, Black Mountain Cycles, etc.
Actually, the Ramboullet was a production lugged steel frameset that followed in the footsteps of the original Rivendell Standard. The frames you mentioned from Surly, All-City, Black Mtn Cycles are all tig-welded framesets and cheaper to make.

Rivendell has come out with its own tig-welded frameset called a Rodini or something like that. The Roadeo is a "lighter" lugged steel frameset that I think replaced the Rambo.

Whatever, Riv has gotten away from what it was and I too am another who stopped following what they offered once their focus was on axes and double top tube framesets.

Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Man,..I concur. They should be pushing their bikes as the first all road bikes. Holy cow.If this isn't their time..I dunno what is! Seriously..am I crazy? They should be killing it in this market.

What am I missing?
Yup.

Grant is hopelessly out of touch. Rivendell should have been the OG hipster brand.
With gravel bikes the market has moved to the general area that Grant always promoted but he totally missed out. Being completely out of ideas--at least ideas that anyone would actually buy--he could have just copied Surly and used something other than gaspipe. Instead his bikes veered off into bizarro world.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Yup.

Grant is hopelessly out of touch....he could have just copied Surly and used something other than gaspipe. Instead his bikes veered off into bizarro world.
But isn't that what the Rodini is suppose to be? A "road" bike with heavier tubing then say the Roadeo? Yes, he is focusing on a bunch of other weird shape bikes, but they still have the Roadeo, Roadini, and of
course the custom Rivendell!

I'm always amazed that Grant never tries to show his "road" bikes with more modern parts. Yes, I know he's not into e-shifting like di2, but he could show his bikes fitted with DA/Ultegra/105 mechanical? Hope they can figure it out!

Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2018, 12:23 AM

I don't know, the Rambouillet had much more traditional or sensible geometry than the long chainstay/tall headtube for long chainstay/tall headtube's sake that all of their current bikes seem to have. Their lack of middle of the road/all-around offerings has always been a huge turnoff for me.

Like, I would ride the hell out of this bike. If it had Shimano or SRAM.

This Blériot also looks way more sensible than most of their current stuff.

Regardless, begging for handouts every few months while continuing the same very specific and esoteric offerings isn't a good look.

Last edited by jtbadge; 12-30-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:36 AM

I was wrong, Riv does advertise a bike with modern parts - looks like Sram Force:

Riv advertises it as their "fastest" bike too!

In contrast, the Roadini, a tig-welded frameset doesn't seem to work, even as a 1x!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 12-30-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I was wrong, Riv does advertise a bike with modern parts - looks like Sram Force:
Riv advertises it as their "fastest" bike too!
Sure, but a sold out $2600 frameset. Also Force 10 is almost ten years old at this point.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
You’re keeping us together, and we thank you for that and will never, ever ask again. — G
well, i suppose he forgot the last line of his initial fundraiser email.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
Riv once told me it’s a waste of their time to pack and ship small orders to me.

Do with that as you wish.
I am not pro or anti Riv, but you're also the customer Bob Jackson refused to sell to. Riv's comment is shades of that. It isn't exactly a one-off thing. Sorry, I don't mean to pull skeletons out, but there's some context to your comment from Riv's side that we aren't seeing.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 AM
ferro verum est

Black Mountain Cycles, Surly, and Soma stole the Riv thunder...think about how many people bought Surlys after reading Grant's writing on steel frames, they definitely got his message. But people who had the extra dollars at his price points could almost get a frame from a framebuilder instead of his Rivendells.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 AM

I think the iconic musa frame sets that allowed riv to find a foothold in this market simply became too expensive to be profitable. Likely the horizon from order to delivery also extended too far for most folks. Frame sets like the musa Atlantis, ram, roadeo, hunq among others were lost. A bloody shame. They should be investing in mit frames like the iconic set above rather than the profoundly quirky ones currently offered. I like grant. He is very good for the sport of cycling, the industry, and for us. I hope that someone grabs his hand and pulls him to the light. Btw, that silver ram above is sublime.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:49 AM

You’re keeping us together, and we thank you for that and will never, ever axe again. — G

fixed it
Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
And yeah..I've always wondered ...What is up with the axes and pine tar soap? Does grizzly Adams ride their bikes?

I've heard the Guy on a Buffalo is a regular pine-tar soap and axe customer...but they'll only sell to him if he buys in bulk.

Pine-tar soap and axe's as a business focus for hipster lumberjacks won't likely take you too far...which will lead to, well, you already know.

William
Old 12-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Grant cried that no one wants to wait and or pay for a custom, though those are still available. Moved a lot of the models to MIT but added long stays and made them less traditional looking to fit a wider range of riders per each size.
Most of the models are for upright, pull back bars. They’re the equivalent of surly with overlap of models except not a single disc in sight
Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I am not pro or anti Riv, but you're also the customer Bob Jackson refused to sell to. Riv's comment is shades of that. It isn't exactly a one-off thing. Sorry, I don't mean to pull skeletons out, but there's some context to your comment from Riv's side that we aren't seeing.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at here.

Bob Jackson has sold me everything I’ve wanted and the only thing they didn’t want to do is build me a custom bike because they don’t do custom frames anymore.
Closed Thread