Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
They should value their customers opinions and even I agree with some of your ideas.

So they are wrong that change would lose at least you as a customer. It's as if they have locked themselves into an unnecessary corner based on an assumption that their customers want them to be that way.
I think it's more a matter of one guy runs it and he wants it the way it is. Like, if it's different he'd rather not do it. So he does his thing and we either roll with it or go buy stuff somewhere else. I don't see a problem with his decisions or ours.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 PM

Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I think it's more a matter of one guy runs it and he wants it the way it is. Like, if it's different he'd rather not do it. So he does his thing and we either roll with it or go buy stuff somewhere else. I don't see a problem with his decisions or ours.
But as a customer you differ on his stay the course plan and he believes he can't change because of his customers.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
But as a customer you differ on his stay the course plan and he believes he can't change because of his customers.
Yes, we disagree. I consider Grant a friend, but we're both headstrong individuals who tend to drop our stakes and stand our ground. I don't expect him to agree with me on every point anymore than I expect you to.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Understood

Quote:
Yes, we disagree. I consider Grant a friend, but we're both headstrong individuals who tend to drop our stakes and stand our ground. I don't expect him to agree with me on every point anymore than I expect you to.
I share a steadfastness too, so I appreciate the relationship you share and the understanding bewteen you.

So, since it's not an option to change to generate more revenue, for he won't change to raise money, it's a matter of how big you can be as far as employees and inventory based upon how many customers and revenue numbers you had yesterday.

So it's a simple math problem, you recieve X dollars revenue due to the type of offerings you have, this allows you to only have X number of employees and inventory.

Square the numbers and the issue goes away, albeit with less staff and inventory.

Last edited by Burnette; 01-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Exactly.

The problem is, he's hitting up customers to support the liquidity needs of the business. Hey, if it works, why not.

In other words it's really game over, albeit delayed.

The biz, sadly, seems to have run it's course....at least in it's current construct.

That's sad to watch unfold regardless, because it's a business with employees who depend on the decisions of it's leader.

I hope they figure it out. This thread attracted some eyeballs for sure, including mine. If there was something of interest on the site I'd gladly buy it, but there isn't. Hopefully others are in the opposite position and found something new. Heck, if I lived in my old house, I'd have bought an axe just for the heck of it!!!

Quote:

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-10-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 02-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Rivendell's quarterly report and discussions on race:

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/peekin...-of-the-bunion

This post makes me long for the days about Grant's ramblings about eating bacon, not jogging & the evils of sugar.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
Rivendell's quarterly report and discussions on race:

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/peekin...-of-the-bunion

This post makes me long for the days about Grant's ramblings about eating bacon, not jogging & the evils of sugar.
Sounds like a business that's on its last legs. I couldn't be arsed to read the race bit. Maybe he should spend less time writing blog entries and more time thinking about how to keep his business afloat.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Good lord, that is a train wreck of a public communication. Surely there are some seasoned PR folks here who might share their opinion.

If I was a supplier, I'd cut him off after reading that pre-hail mary post rather than incur any (or more) losses.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Time to pass the collection plate again....
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Good lord, that is a train wreck of a public communication. Surely there are some seasoned PR folks here who might share their opinion.

If I was a supplier, I'd cut him off after reading that pre-hail mary post rather than incur any (or more) losses.
It's terrible.

Maybe not the best idea to disclose you've had flat revenue for 11 years after passing around the collection plate.

But hey, that insulation as bar wrap idea is nifty I guess.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Ouch! Will the last one leaving the building please turn out the lights... if they’re not already out.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 PM

It's just sad to read that people are working at reduced pay to keep it going. That's not sustainable.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Interestingly enough Rivendell is listed as an exhibitor at NAHBS Sacramento.
Don't think I've ever seen them showing there before (or at least not in the last 7-8 years).
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM

Still new to this bicycling world, but I get the impression that this most recent blog post is just Grant being Grant. Note that he doesn't actually tell you what his or anyone else's salary is. He seems like a pretty decent and generous guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if he pays well and offers good benefits. All that he tells you is that after all expenses have been paid, they have about 8,000 left. Anyway, 2.85 million in sales is pretty good for a company that probably doesn't sell more than 500 bikes per year.

Also, if he's in his late 50s or early 60s, it makes total sense that he's thinking about what happens next. It's the only responsible thing that an owner should do. Sadly, my guess is that they wind down and shut down once Grant exits soon -- at the moment, Grant is Rivendell and Rivendell is Grant. Transitions are hard to manage.

His rambling thoughts about race make sense to me. He's trying to get the lay of the land and understand how the world has changed. It sounds like he's inviting a discussion. The weird thing is that he invites reader comment, but it's not obvious where his email address is located.
Closed Thread