Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
He said last and this year, last year was the handout.
I distinctly remember buying credit last year, and I believe there was an add-on, like if I bought the credit now it would be worth an extra $10 later..something like that. If you want to refresh my memory proving I'm wrong and Rivendell actually asked for free money like a GoFundMe, I'll wait.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM

I think it's interesting how many posts here seem to suggest that Grant would do better if he tried selling stuff he doesn't like/believe in because then he would attract more "mainstream" riders.

Considering how many "mainstream" shops are failing I don't think that jumping into that competition would be a wise move for Grant or anyone else at this time.

As for the axes, soaps, etc. Grant likes to share obscure things he loves that are not well known with his friends and customers. I don't think his inventory of those items ties up very much of his limited working capital. I was surprised when I bought some pine tar soap how good it was for my motorcycle camping trips. One bar lasts a long time, it worked as body wash, shampoo, and laundry soap and never got soft and mushy so it stayed nice for days when carried in a plastic soap dish. OK, I never bought an axe because I still have my Boy Scout axe that I got in 1954 when I became a Second Class Scout. I did get to examine a nice assortment of Grant's favorite axes in the really wonderful Ace Hardware Store in Truckee, CA. If I needed an axe they would be at the top of my list. :-)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM

I enjoyed reading this:

And this:

From the latest blooog.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Also, Riv isn't the only one with a "minimum order" practice:

ORDER MINIMUM: $39.99

Due to the high costs of shipping and handling we have implemented a minimum order of $39.99. We have found that with orders less than $39.99 often the shipping charges exceeded the value of the merchandise. Please note that we do not want to discourage you from buying our product, but we encourage you to check with your Local Bike Shop for products that do not meet the minimum. Also note, you can always purchase some of our other unique and interesting products to achieve the order minimum.

https://store.somafab.com/info.html
Old 01-10-2019, 10:44 AM

That Bicycle Guide stuff is cool. Man I wish I'd saved my stash, the Hot Tubes section for custom framebuilders was great.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Also, Riv isn't the only one with a "minimum order" practice:

ORDER MINIMUM: $39.99

Due to the high costs of shipping and handling we have implemented a minimum order of $39.99. We have found that with orders less than $39.99 often the shipping charges exceeded the value of the merchandise. Please note that we do not want to discourage you from buying our product, but we encourage you to check with your Local Bike Shop for products that do not meet the minimum. Also note, you can always purchase some of our other unique and interesting products to achieve the order minimum.

https://store.somafab.com/info.html
Or, you can do as I did last December when I wanted a set of IRD quick release slotted downtube shifter boss cable stops: I got a group order together with four other members of the Internet-BOB google group. We not only made the minimum order quantity, we also crossed the dollar threshold for free shipping. I had five sets shipped to me, and I sent four out to the others via USPS.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM

I enjoyed seeing the BG articles again, great stuff. Maybe that's the crux of it, bikes like the MB zip and the XO 1 (to me) were VERY innovative and different in a good way. The RB1 was a great bike as well, almost mainstream. I know Bridgestone isn't Rivendell, but I had several of the BS catalogs (probably still do around here somewhere).

I get Rivendell's "not everyone races" vibe, but that 3 tubed thing is a plumbers nightmare, the extra tube is superfluous and at $3-4k and X months delivery (I don't know what they actually cost or how long it takes, but they're batch built) is a very very small market. I think an XO-1 at 650B would show well today as an alternate (again different) to an Open or something...
Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 PM

The Taiwan frames are in stock, not $3-4k and only the big ones have an extra tube. I get not liking or wanting one, I don't get making stuff up about what the company currently sells.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:49 PM

Maybe You Can Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
The Taiwan frames are in stock, not $3-4k and only the big ones have an extra tube. I get not liking or wanting one, I don't get making stuff up about what the company currently sells.
What you have posted that Rivendell should do, you had some good input on what would be beneficial changes, all of it runs counter to Rivendell's latest blog post.

Even if they followed just your ideas it would be better than what they are doing.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Uh, not exactly.. sorry if it seemed that way.

To your point, the Clem L complete is $1650 in one size, other than that you have to wait. The Clem Smith H seems to be in stock both colors and all sizes. I don't know if they're the Taiwan frames or not as I thought they all were Taiwanese TBH.

For my comment I randomly picked the Cheviot there is one size in stock, therefore you have to wait. $1400 plus a build kit is $3k more or less, no? The customs you have to wait/sold out, the tandem Hubbuhubbuh round 2.5 has one color/ one size in stock, so I'm not making stuff up, and understand that it may be extremely difficult for them when they're obviously cash starved at this point..

Fully agree with your comment on the BG stuff, that's missed now, and my main point was around thinking how innovative/interesting the Bridgestone stuff was..

Last edited by Davist; 01-10-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I think an XO-1 at 650B would show well today as an alternate (again different) to an Open or something...

Yeah, a 650B version of the XO-1. I built this 650B version of the sidepull bike about a dozen years ago... Would people buy them? I wonder... Did anyone actually buy that clone, the Handsome XOXO? It's no longer offered.

I really tried to like that mustache bar, but after fitting it on 3 or 4 different bikes with different stems I realized that it just did not work for me.

Sometimes I think a certain bike looks cool, would be fun, but then I find myself reaching for another machine to ride, and it's typically the more conventional or standard build to which I gravitate.

I think part of the trouble with these new Rivendell bikes is that they are different than what people are accustomed to seeing and riding. Even if you're open minded about it, unless you have access to one to demo, it would be hard to make that monetary leap of faith to have the experience.

And, I'm sorry, but that Radavist article about Poppi and the new Atlantis just makes the bike look shoddy to me. Despite the down-home nature of it all, these bikes are luxury goods, really. Beausage doesn't cut it. A beat up old steel mountain bike with slack angles, long chainstays, rim brakes, and drop bars is a lower point of entry to this kind of thing.

But what do I know. My kids buy new jeans with ripped out knees. I guess I just don't get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 525301991_5663100c85_z.jpg (139.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 515154208_d126f1d3a9_z.jpg (87.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 525242192_1162c1bf5e_z.jpg (118.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg handsome xoxo .jpg (60.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 PM

I'm beginning to wonder what site some of you are looking at. I found most current (the Taiwan ones) models in stock, with a new batch of Cheviots on the way soon. Yes, price all built up can hit $3k or more for the lugged bikes, I thought you were quoting frame prices as shown on the frames page. Customs are obviously a different animal that takes money and time, that's true of all customs.

I would argue that the Sam, Hilsen and Atlantis are all variations on a 650B XO-1. If Grant designed that bike today..well..he has.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
What you have posted that Rivendell should do, you had some good input on what would be beneficial changes, all of it runs counter to Rivendell's latest blog post.

Even if they followed just your ideas it would be better than what they are doing.
Maybe, but they're not asking for my advice. There's an entire corner of the internet devoted to How Riv Is Wrong And How I Can Fix It, and it seems to consist mostly of people who want bikes they can get somewhere else. They should buy those bikes.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Same

Quote:
Maybe, but they're not asking for my advice. There's an entire corner of the internet devoted to How Riv Is Wrong And How I Can Fix It, and it seems to consist mostly of people who want bikes they can get somewhere else. They should buy those bikes.
But like many others you see opportunities that are still viable if chosen and need for change. We see what you see and feel much the same.

Rivendell should take some of your thoughts to heart.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Ok... so what should they do? Just keep selling the same crap and close a few years from now?

Like someone said, do something bridgestone inspired in 650b or.....
Dont do a tandem that everyone knows will not sell and say, if we get x amount of orders we good otherwise we not doing it (a freaking wastw of time and money to prototype something not a lot of people are interested in)
Closed Thread