Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 01:24 PM
head to toe Assos

Here's your Monday afternoon gripe. Enjoy!

http://gothamist.com/2019/04/22/vide...ikes_bells.php
Old 04-22-2019, 02:06 PM

So, apparently it's illegal to ride a bike in NYC that is not equipped with a working bell. Is that correct? Don't live there so don't know.

Interesting how this coincides with an uptick of bicycle-related injuries. So if they get cyclists out of the way the injuries will go down? Well, I guess that would work.

This seems like harassment and a major mis-allocation of police time & manpower. Not sure what else to say.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
So, apparently it's illegal to ride a bike in NYC that is not equipped with a working bell. Is that correct? Don't live there so don't know.

Interesting how this coincides with an uptick of bicycle-related injuries. So if they get cyclists out of the way the injuries will go down? Well, I guess that would work.

This seems like harassment and a major mis-allocation of police time & manpower. Not sure what else to say.

Here is a link to the State statute, yes a bell is required. http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:

Would be interesting to know what other jurisdictions require, I know in Ontario we have to have bells, and I also know that in New Brunswick bells are also mandatory.

Each year in June the cops do a blitz in Toronto for bells, lights, reflectors etc. for the start of cycling season.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM

When you say reflectors I assume a working light is a surrogate for this or do you actually have to ride with plastic reflectors affixed to your wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM
Tired Member

Yes. A bell is required. They do this "enforcement" every now and again. Typically, you have something like 24 or 48 hours to buy a bell, put it on your bike, and then go to the precinct office with your receipt. The summons is then waived.

We had a rider go down in NJ on Saturday on our group ride. We called 911, and the local sheriff responded first. I was shocked --- shocked that he was so nice. I've become used to cops giving cyclists a hard time.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Or were the police just reaching for anything they could on any one on the ride they didn't manage to arrest for possession of herbs?

420 is still illegal for recreation in NY right?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 PM

F U to the NYPD. I've had a few run-is with them over the years while working and they suck. The dept is full of power-tripping a-holes.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:01 PM

new article but old news. the NYPD has been unfriendly to cyclists forever.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
new article but old news. the NYPD has been unfriendly to cyclists forever.
Word.

My fave--after FEDEX guys, NYPD--the most likely offenders parked in bike lanes. And not for five minutes, but all day, every day--like on the run in to the Brooklyn Bridge...
Old 04-22-2019, 03:27 PM

Research from the guys social media. somebody has it out for cyclists in the NYPD and has put in some research. What a bunch of jerks.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
When you say reflectors I assume a working light is a surrogate for this or do you actually have to ride with plastic reflectors affixed to your wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lights are acceptable in lieu of reflectors, did not know about the reflective tape requirement if you don't have a blinky.

Lights and reflectors on bicycles, etc.
(17) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor assisted bicycle and bicycle (other than a unicycle) shall carry a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light on its front and a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector on its rear, and in addition white reflective material shall be placed on its front forks, and red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimetres in length and 25 millimetres in width shall be placed on its rear. 2015, c. 14, s. 21 (2).
Same

(17.1) A bicycle may carry a lighted lamp on its rear that produces intermittent flashes of red light at any time, and may carry such a lamp at the times described in subsection (17) instead of or in addition to the lighted lamp displaying a red light or reflector required by that subsection. 2015, c. 14, s. 21 (2).

As for bells, eh section actually allows for horns, bells or gongs.

And back on topic, seems to be a bunch of cops who need to meet their ticket quota and found an easy way to do it.

Last edited by pdonk; 04-22-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:50 PM

Nieves added, "We're not doing anything illegal......."

Three seconds of searching on YouTube and I see at least 20 laws broken

Attached Images
File Type: jpg racenbb.jpg (52.9 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg racenbake.jpg (70.0 KB, 302 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:20 PM

That **** makes me feel sad tbh. Police have so much better things to do than this petty crap.

But if you are organizing a ride perhaps not name in 420 on facebook (if they did that but i kinda assume they did). Actually that part of the cops research work i have to say is a job well done imo. Shows they are on top of things i guess. Provided that is the reason they wanted to check this ride out rather than to just ticket any cyclists for not having a bell that is.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM

That's it, I'm buying a gong for my bike. F*** it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
As for bells, eh section actually allows for horns, bells or gongs.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:46 PM

420 Bake and Race. LOL

Alleycats are so 1990. And so lame...

Sorry no sympathy here.