Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the back end of those bikes seem quite long?
All else being equal (it never is) longer chainstays= smoother/more stable ride.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Hey Ken I understand that. In the case of the Riv photos shared I was reminded of some of the old Raleigh models that were out. Things like the Roadster and DL22.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 PM

_

Last edited by BobbyJones; 02-11-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
My understanding is that the long chain stays were the brainchild of one of their former employees.

Instead of going low trail and disc they went long chain stay in addition to
cannibalizing their line-up.

And I can't believe they don't have the Hunqipillar anymore!

Anyways, a discussion thread on this topic on the RBW Owners Group got nuked as it turned into "squabbling". The kooliad hasn't worn off!
I just picked up a used Hunqapillar and it's a very nice riding bike.

At this time, I don't think there is another bike out there like the Hunqapillar (except other Rivendells). Some of the newer companies are putting out bikes in the same genre but all I've found either require disk brakes or are designed for drop bars (vs MTB bars) or both.

Grant's post was very discouraging and I hope they are able to figure it out and survive.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:15 PM

What is most puzzling to me about the post is that they don't seem to be trying anything different/new. Like they just plan to do the same stuff and "hope" it gets better. The market has spoken, they need to change and adapt. I am pretty far from their target market, so don't know what that is. But it is incredibly sad to see them just watching it all flush away.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Oof. That is a tough read. It's particularly difficult to read the same whiny story year after year.

I love Rivendell. They have influenced my thinking about riding so much. I still think back to the time when I was a new cyclist and discovered them in the early internet age. What a revelation! Theirs isn't the only way of thinking, but it's a healthy addition to your lighter/newer/faster/tech-ier urges.

Lately, I just cannot get behind anything they are doing. I click through their site looking for something, anything to buy to help them and it's all so strange. Leather straps that polish your hubs when you ride, Acera rear derailleurs, a bell.. not a bike bell, just a bell that dangles from a string off your handlebars. Completely manufactured attempts at building bikes sloppy and whimsically. It's like watching your favorite uncle age into senility.

Here are screenshots of three bikes from the 2004 Riv site:
This x1000. Nailed it. Bike design for road/dirt/mtb etc is converging around common sets of numbers for a reason. Grant is more interested in being different than he is in designing and building nice bikes that people want. His first version of different (90's through to around ~2012ish) was what people wanted. The market followed and he hates being samey, so he veered off course, and way off what most of us would say we want in a bike. Sounds like a hobby not a business. Feel bad for his employees.

If I had more storage first discretionary bike I'd buy is a rambouillet. Such a sweet bike.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

Riv needs to start selling the new etap.

But seriously, that is a sad sad read. Not really sure what to say or what they can do. It may be time to call it quits, which is sad not only because it is going to unemploy a few people but because Rivendell is cool
Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
What is most puzzling to me about the post is that they don't seem to be trying anything different/new. Like they just plan to do the same stuff and "hope" it gets better. The market has spoken, they need to change and adapt. I am pretty far from their target market, so don't know what that is. But it is incredibly sad to see them just watching it all flush away.
I'm not sure what a better plan would be if "bike sales are still decent." It's the parts/accessories that seem to be floundering in our new Amazon World. Riv certainly isn't the only bike company struggling with this, it just seems like we're in a saturated market where everybody can find anything they want somewhere in the world for a drastic discount.

I don't have the answer, but I think this is the problem.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM

"If I had more storage first discretionary bike I'd buy is a rambouillet. Such a sweet bike."

You mean the bike they stopped making? For several years, the Ram was their signature frame. Maybe sales didn't support continuing with it, but Grant and crew seem to have a penchant for giving up on their best designs.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
"If I had more storage first discretionary bike I'd buy is a rambouillet. Such a sweet bike."

You mean the bike they stopped making? For several years, the Ram was their signature frame. Maybe sales didn't support continuing with it, but Grant and crew seem to have a penchant for giving up on their best designs.
The Ram was replaced by Roadeo on the mid-reach brakes end, and AHH for long-reach brakes and - on the smaller sizes - 650B. Both were in production until very recently as Waterford frames. "I wish they still made the Rambouillet" is a thing people say after definitely not buying the similar bikes that were available for many years after the Ram was discontinued.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Deep Doo Doo

If employees are already taking a 40% cut in pay and they're still struggling AND he's openly contemplating on how to offload the business with fantasy "plans" that have no basis in reality, then the problem is way bigger than slow selling accessories.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I'm not sure what a better plan would be if "bike sales are still decent." It's the parts/accessories that seem to be floundering in our new Amazon World. Riv certainly isn't the only bike company struggling with this, it just seems like we're in a saturated market where everybody can find anything they want somewhere in the world for a drastic discount.

Damn.
https://www.amazon.com/Augshy-Jingle...-2-spons&psc=1
Old 02-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post

velo orange sells parts/accessories and they seem to be doing just fine in this new Amazon world.

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 02-12-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
If employees are already taking a 40% cut in pay and they're still struggling AND he's openly contemplating on how to offload the business with fantasy "plans" that have no basis in reality, then the problem is way bigger than slow selling accessories.
If your business is selling stuff and stuff isn't selling, your problem is stuff isn't selling.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Methinks it's time for Grant's friends to stage an intervention.
Closed Thread