Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 11:06 AM

OT: Driveway Repair

So the story goes - having a deck built on to our pool. Contractor goes to the lumber distributor and tells them to call him when they're going to deliver so he can be there and, well, they don't.

It's raining that day, has been for several days and instead of leaving everything on the driveway, they decide to go off the driveway and leave it closer to the pool leaving me with:

Lumber company has agreed to pay for repairs. Unfortunately, that lovely depression has opened up a hole that goes under the driveway.

Trying to get anyone to come out, let alone fix it, is trouble because it's prime season and this is not a huge job.

Do I keep trying to find someone or go back to the lumber company and tell them I can't and it's up to them (and their insurance)?

If anyone knows, can I fill that area in with topsoil to prevent further erosion in the meantime?

Last edited by mdeth1313; 05-14-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:51 PM

General contractors.......having just gone through a master bedroom and bath addition on my house, although highly recommended, I picked the wrong one. I’ve got at least a dozen instances where the contractor should have been on site to oversee situations like yours. The best was at the completion of the project, my wife and I get a $9,500 “extras” list. About $1,000 of it was legit, the rest.......contract clearly states any and all additional work must be authorized and signed off by the homeowner before proceeding.

I think he forgot that he put that in the contract. I’m not out to stiff the guy, he did a decent job, there just wasn’t any attention to detail when it came to certain situations. I know more than the average person when it comes to construction so I was able to identify the issues. I can’t imagine what a homeowner with no construction experience ends up with when they get a poor contractor.

I’m working to resolve it so it’s best for both parties as far as the extras list. I did my homework, it’s unfortunate he didn’t do his.

As far as your situation..........I would put it on the contractor to resolve the issue. They likely deal with the supply house on a regular basis. They should address the issue.

As far as the hole, hold onto the pictures, put some soil in the hole and pack it in with your heel.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:27 PM

1. Put dirt in hole, tamp well.

2. Caulk the crack with black poly caulk made for such repairs.

3. Have a beer.

This is just not worth worrying about. I might just skip 1 and 2.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:43 PM
Randomhead

I was going to say just fill the crack until I saw the hole. I don't really understand how that hole got so deep. I would definitely fill the hole. If I was going to skip a step, it would be fixing the broken driveway.

This maybe just me, but I think I would fix it to my satisfaction and not bother the builder about it. Yeah, it's their fault.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post

3. Have a beer.

Agreed, but that is just me. It seems weird that the hole is so deep. I would say that there was some erosion going on and his truck just exacerbated it. I would say its a shared responsibility, but I would still opt for filling and sealing myself and save myself the grief.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:04 PM

Would the driveway have chipped if the pre-existing hole wasn't there?

Where I live, nobody is coming out to fix that crack.

I would fill the hole and just accept it.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:08 PM

I don’t think that is from a truck but rather the little off road forklift they brought with the load. Must have been a gopher hole. Who knows. Seriously, it’ll be easier to fix yourself than to call multiple handymen to come fix it.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:29 PM
I need you cool.

yeah, some gravel in the hole and tamped well, some asphalt repair over the crack and you good to go.

Pick up some good beer for when you are done <1 hr later...

Send the bill for asphalt repair and beer to the contractor. Probably less than $50....
Old 05-14-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post

3. Have a beer.

Driveways get dinged from time to time. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to fix little issues like this one.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Rockstruck

I feel better, with floating lightness of being, in just reading this thread. Where the heck else but here can someone find a sympathetic ear to complain about this kind of stuff?

if it helps at all I could show the cracked cement drain in my driveway--similar story from a few years ago.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:42 PM

an asphalt drive way is always going to be a bit shabby on the edges. I would just try to cram some dirt in/around there and call it a day.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:59 PM

Prolly wanna go ahead and just list that house right now, it's over.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:23 PM

Fill the hole. Tamp it down. Finish filing the hole. Tamp it down. Get some asphalt patch. Patch asphalt. Get over it and move on with your life. Don't sweat the small things and you'll realize most things are small. That is small peanuts compared to what else is going to go wrong if you own a home.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:45 PM

Well if it helps to commiserate, this is my brand new expensive bluestone patio after the sealing job. 1 month later still trying to get the contractor to even come look at it.

I’m with the others as far as with your issue, fill the hole and seal it, but I have no particular expertise. It is a good time to be a contractor. I’m still trying to get a storm damaged fence repaired since March and looking at August before it’s done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B77E525-00E4-46B0-A712-5E21322A86D9.jpg (96.8 KB, 175 views)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:54 PM

If I showed pictures of my driveway, it’d bring tears to your eyes.

That’ll be a nice patio when its done.