Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I have a set of Light Bicycle rims on DT Swiss 240’s and a pair of Btlos on Aivee hubs. Both 24/28 with CX Rays.

The Btlos are 36’s and the LB are 40 somethings. The only real difference I can tell is in the braking. The Btlos seem to brake better and quieter with the same pads, which are a pair of Enve pads. It’s all I had available when I needed new pads. They were both being used with the same brakes.

Thx! I’d be going w disc so I’m surmising I’d not notice a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I have a set of Light Bicycle rims on DT Swiss 240’s and a pair of Btlos on Aivee hubs. Both 24/28 with CX Rays.

The Btlos are 36’s and the LB are 40 somethings. The only real difference I can tell is in the braking. The Btlos seem to brake better and quieter with the same pads, which are a pair of Enve pads. It’s all I had available when I needed new pads. They were both being used with the same brakes.
Do you know which braking surface your BTLOS have?
Old 05-15-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Do you know which braking surface your BTLOS have?
Graphene braking surface (arc)

That’s how my invoice reads.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that is helpful.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Before I bought my Bora WTOs I asked BTLOS which braking surface worked the best and they said "Graphene arc".

Tim
Old 05-16-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Before I bought my Bora WTOs I asked BTLOS which braking surface worked the best and they said "Graphene arc".

Tim
This makes one wonder why they bother offering the inferior braking surfaces? Cheaper to produce?
Old 05-17-2021, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
This makes one wonder why they bother offering the inferior braking surfaces? Cheaper to produce?
Doubt they are that much 'inferior'. I think it fits in with their very liberal and varied option list..
Old 05-17-2021, 08:46 PM

I just put together a bike using btlos 50mm road wheels. I paid for the upgraded construction. They are awesome. I weigh 215ish. They haven’t blown up so far.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:25 AM
cmg

so the forum's opinion, 55mm or 60mm depth? pros and cons? does the 60mm hold speed longer?
Old 05-19-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
so the forum's opinion, 55mm or 60mm depth? pros and cons? does the 60mm hold speed longer?
If anyone can discern a difference in the 5mm rim depth, I would be amazed.

I made my rim depth decision on valve stem lengths that would make sense, without using an extender.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post

I made my rim depth decision on valve stem lengths that would make sense, without using an extender.
+1 Michelin tubes with 60mm stems are easy to find and fit well with my 45mm rims....tubeless would be a different decision process I imagine.

Also, 45mm seemed like a good compromise of aero and crosswind stability.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Picshooter

I recently bought a pair of BTLOS 40's. A good experience all around. I ended up going UST and trying tubeless for the first time.If that failed my 60 mm tubes were at the ready, no valve extenders needed. Keeping things different I also went with Bitex hubs and while these were ordered with a Shimano freehub, I picked up a Campy freehub as well so I can use them with Campy 10 bike. I also tried Pirelli's and to my surprise had no trouble at all mounting, or inflating. I had the compressor at the ready, but they pumped right up with my Silca.
Ironically the only issue I had was that the included stems were too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
+1 Michelin tubes with 60mm stems are easy to find and fit well with my 45mm rims....tubeless would be a different decision process I imagine.

Also, 45mm seemed like a good compromise of aero and crosswind stability.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
5mm is 1/5 of an inch. The 55mm rim weighs 15 grams less than the 60mm rim.
No such thing as a free lunch and there really isn't any significant 'flywheel' effect with bike wheels. I think it's great that BTLOS offeres 5mm increments in their rims..30 to 60, then 80mm..BUT unless you are going from one extreme to the other..30 to 60 or 80mm, I doubt you could tell a difference and then 'maybe' only in weight and how much winds may blow you around. Even with weight..30mm to 60mm..less than 100g..4 ounces..lost in noise. Deeper rim is probably stiffer. Many think what they are feeling with carbon is less 'rotational' weight but it's really just stiffness.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:38 PM
cmg

so bought the 60mm to give it a try. went low budget on the build, Chinese hubs, non-Sapim spokes. the build is fantastic, wheels are straight, true and no hop. after the 20 mile test ride i'm impressed. they replace a set of reynolds assaults. they seemed lighter. spin up after they're moving is pretty quick, they hold speed really well. the only place i notice them is at start up from dead stop. i'll write it up after the newness wares off. bought them in early August and got them yesterday. The UPS tracker is worthless and the one from the seller t.17track.net worked better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new wheels 1.jpg (77.6 KB, 236 views)
Old 10-20-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
I have a set of WGX50s that I picked up second hand. I had to swap the freehub from XDR to Shimano but that was very easy once I found the right Novatec parts (bought from Bikeinn.com)

I only have 12 miles on them after work last night and my initial impressions are solid. I'm coming off the Giant SLR1 42mm carbon wheels that my TCR came with.
  • There is no noticeable difference in weight. I think both wheelsets are in the 1450g range.
  • The exact same GP5k 25mm tires measure out at almost 29mm on the BTLOS.
  • The ride quality is substantially improved, even at the same pressure with the same latex tubes (~95psi).
  • I "think" they are less susceptible to wind gusts. I will continue to update on this over the coming weeks as I get more miles on them.
  • The tires are a lot louder now. I think the extra width hits a sweet spot on the GP5k that ticks them up a few dbs.
  • More aero and easier to hold 20mph+? Jury is still out. Will continue to update.
Update a thousand miles later. Still same feedback. I like them. Not OMG these are so much better than anything in the world!!! But I still like them and they are still round.