Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 11:29 AM

Anyone else having trouble getting into this season? I don't know if it's the fast turnaround after the bubble, the seemingly arbitrary COVID protocols meaning you never know who is going to be playing on a night-to-night basis, or the clear disdain that all the best players and teams have for playing right now, but I'm just not feeling the NBA this season. Maybe there's no juggernaut to root for or against. Some of the interpersonal drama that drives the league has simmered down now that Harden is in Brooklyn and Giannis is a Buck for a while.

"Hey, Let's Have An All-Star Game!" is about the worst idea ever. Can't wait until KD, Lebron, Harden, Giannis, Steph and PG are all out at the same time for contact tracing because they were hanging out that weekend and someone's girlfriend had COVID.

I dunno, maybe I'll care again in April when the Clippers and Lakers and Nets and Bucks start taking things seriously. Utah Jazz, I'm sorry, but I cannot take you seriously.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:33 AM

My Jazz are 20-5 with the best record in the league. I know it's early in the season, but I'm going to go to Salt Lake City downtown and get ready for the parade.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:40 AM

If you'd asked me before the season if the Suns would be an enjoyable team to watch with Booker, Paul and Ayton as their big three, I'd have said you were crazy. But they're a sneaky West Coast League Pass joy to watch.

Paul still hasn't turned off everyone in the organization with his no chill ever approach, Ayton's looking inspired, and Booker might be the smoothest shooting guard in the league not named Bradley Beal.

But yes, this season is a weird mess and the players are playing like it.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:43 PM

The Jazz are also among the healthiest teams in the league and have gotten reasonably lucky about who they are playing and when. That's why it's hard for me to take the regular season seriously. Because of the short rest after the 2020 season, some teams are playing hard and some aren't. Some teams have players out for COVID protocols and some don't.

The capricious whims of the universe and the too long season have always played a big part in NBA outcomes (Kawhi-4-bouncer.gif) but this year it seems dialed up to 11.

I am glad the Suns look good. The whole Pacific division looks good!
Old 02-12-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
The Jazz are also among the healthiest teams in the league and have gotten reasonably lucky about who they are playing and when. That's why it's hard for me to take the regular season seriously. Because of the short rest after the 2020 season, some teams are playing hard and some aren't. Some teams have players out for COVID protocols and some don't.

The capricious whims of the universe and the too long season have always played a big part in NBA outcomes (Kawhi-4-bouncer.gif) but this year it seems dialed up to 11.

I am glad the Suns look good. The whole Pacific division looks good!
Curry has been playing out of his mind.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:12 PM

Basketball is my favorite sport to watch, followed closely by soccer, and I’ve been mostly into NBA so far. College basketball on the other hand has been a non-entity this year. I’ve watched maybe 3 games total. Besides the argument of should college athletes even be competing or how they should be competing, the quality of the college game has taken a nose dive.

I’ve been finding myself rooting for Houston with new coach and wanting to see Wall succeed.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:07 PM

I'm sad and afraid that this latest Blake Griffin/Pistons news (he's gonna sit while they pursue a trade or a buyout) means we might never see him on the court again.

Just in case, here's a retrospective of some of his great plays. He's usually remembered as the business end of the Lob City Clippers, but his evolution into playmaking pick-and-pop 4 as his injuries started to rob him of his hops was pretty amazing. He deserves to be remembered as one of the smartest players of his generation.

I hope a contender picks him up, but god, that contract.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'm sad and afraid that this latest Blake Griffin/Pistons news (he's gonna sit while they pursue a trade or a buyout) means we might never see him on the court again.

Just in case, here's a retrospective of some of his great plays. He's usually remembered as the business end of the Lob City Clippers, but his evolution into playmaking pick-and-pop 4 as his injuries started to rob him of his hops was pretty amazing. He deserves to be remembered as one of the smartest players of his generation.

Woj seems to think there'll be some interest for Blake, either for someone willing to do the cap gymnastics or as a signee off the street once he clears waivers.

To your point, he's too good a pick and pop 4 at this point that a contender would be crazy not to take a flyer on him.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Seems similar to the career arc of Malone. I’ve always liked Griffin, but if I were a GM, I’d be concerned he’s already contemplating his stand-up/acting career. He’s actually pretty damn funny.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Registered (ab)User

Slightly off-topic:

I've been wintering in Arizona where my 81-year-old Dad likes to watch TV with the volume turned up pretty loud.

Y'know what's worse than watching an NBA game on television with the volume turned up pretty loud? Listening to Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser yelling about NBA games on television with the volume turned up pretty loud!

Kill me now.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Slightly off-topic:

I've been wintering in Arizona where my 81-year-old Dad likes to watch TV with the volume turned up pretty loud.

Y'know what's worse than watching an NBA game on television with the volume turned up pretty loud? Listening to Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser yelling about NBA games on television with the volume turned up pretty loud!

Kill me now.
Nice one.

...that's why you have a bike.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:37 AM

It's been 13 years since my beloved Sonics were stolen and moved far away.

Since then, I've become a Blazers fan – Melo, GT Jr, Nurk, CJ

and

Damian

Lillard
Old 03-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
This just in:
https://www.netsdaily.com/2021/3/5/2...pistons-buyout
Old 03-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Wow. He’d probably be a good fit there.

Side note: How you know you’re on a bike forum. “He’d” was autocorrected to “HED.”
Old 03-06-2021, 10:02 AM

I agree with Nate Duncan - Blake's best role is as a backup 5 - you can run long stretches with him as the offensive fulcrum while he gets other guys involved and if he's not playing big minutes against Embiid/Towns/Jokic his defensive shortcomings and inability to protect the rim won't be so glaring.

He would fit pretty well into what the Nets are doing offensively, but if I were the Nets, I would be looking for a rim protecting center, someone who could at least put up a modicum of resistance in the playoffs. They are already scoring a billion points/game and that's true even if one of their stars isn't playing. Someone like say, Jarrett Allen? Oh... right.