Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Crazy, I never knew those existed. Pretty dang cool!
If you search this site for Alexi you will find a pic of him riding one of the beam bikes. Here is probably the best thread about the Softride frames:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...rewal+softride

Can anyone ID that stem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alexi.jpg (101.6 KB, 545 views)

Last edited by oliver1850; 05-15-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
It's a 57 cm by the serial number. I'm wondering if I had the seat height right for me in the photo as I'd normally have a lot more post showing on a 57 Serotta.
I love how the build turned out. Any idea on weight?
Old 05-15-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I love how the build turned out. Any idea on weight?
Not sure. I'll try to remember to get the scale and the bike in the same place some time.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
It's a 57 cm by the serial number. I'm wondering if I had the seat height right for me in the photo as I'd normally have a lot more post showing on a 57 Serotta.
Fair point, head tube seems to suggest that too, but why not measure it carefully for geometry? They had to build a frame to fit suspension components in somehow. I would not be surprised if it were quite a 'tall' 57.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
If you search this site for Alexi you will find a pic of him riding one of the beam bikes. Here is probably the best thread about the Softride frames:

Can anyone ID that stem?
I got my hand on one of the normal Softrides last year. Still deciding if I'm going to sort it out and keep it or send it on to another rider. It was way more bouncy at first than my Y-Foil but one I smoothed out my spin the thing took off.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:09 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:

Can anyone ID that stem?
Not sure but it looks like the sticker on the front of the early stems by Syncros.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
Not sure but it looks like the sticker on the front of the early stems by Syncros.

that should be correct.the coors light team used those welded aluminum 1" quill syncros stems for a year or two after the cinelli stuff.i used one when i built up my coors light team replica in 94'.
sold the frameset but still have that stem somewhere.i think they had some recalls on a number of those as well.

edit:i just saw the pic of the softride serotta,guess you already have a polished syncros.all the team bikes i saw had the painted black version

Last edited by sw3759; 05-15-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I got my hand on one of the normal Softrides last year. Still deciding if I'm going to sort it out and keep it or send it on to another rider. It was way more bouncy at first than my Y-Foil but one I smoothed out my spin the thing took off.
Sounds right. I think there were different stiffness beams available. I know that one of mine has a sticker that says that the maximum rider weight for road is 240 lbs. I don't know what Alexi's racing weight was but I'd guess nowhere near the limit. I'm about 160 and can notice the give, but it's not bouncy.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Was there a different logo before the one that said "Hammer 'n Cycle"?
Old 05-16-2021, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3759 View Post
that should be correct.the coors light team used those welded aluminum 1" quill syncros stems for a year or two after the cinelli stuff.i used one when i built up my coors light team replica in 94'.
sold the frameset but still have that stem somewhere.i think they had some recalls on a number of those as well.

edit:i just saw the pic of the softride serotta,guess you already have a polished syncros.all the team bikes i saw had the painted black version
I have been told that at one point the team used another stem with Syncros logos applied. Recall would explain that.

The team bike that I bought complete has a black stem, but I don't know that it is original. Bike seems right though, all Record and the rims are hand labelled "Coors Light" - as if they had spent time in a wheel pit. I didn't have another black Syncros when I built the 2nd bike, so used the polished one.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Sounds right. I think there were different stiffness beams available. I know that one of mine has a sticker that says that the maximum rider weight for road is 240 lbs. I don't know what Alexi's racing weight was but I'd guess nowhere near the limit. I'm about 160 and can notice the give, but it's not bouncy.
Yeah, the decal is gone off mine so I have no clue what the weight rating is on it. I have a second frame I got for the beam that is certainly heavy enough for me but can't for the life of me get that pin to drive out so I can swap the beams.

Seems like a lot of riders went with a heavier beam to offset the tendency to bounce.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:03 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
An Anvil frame is rare now. Don made beautiful frames and even better frame building jigs.

Nestor, he's insanely talented.
You got that right. I'm fortunate enough to have two - a beautiful blue Chisel, and an insanely detailed road fixed-gear (which I believe was one of the last few before he stopped building & moved his focus to fixtures full-time).

The Chisel still gets ridden semi-regularly, but the fixee has been sidelined due to some chainstay/dropout rust (probably my fault, and it kills me). I fear a repair would mess up the custom paint (with ghost flames!), so for right now it's taking a rest.

My only regret is that I didn't buy three instead of two, back-in-the-day.

Other somewhat-obscure members of my happy collection include a Tournesol rando (which definitely gets ridden, probably the most), a Handsome Speedy Devil (not high-end, but limited production model in collab w/ Twin Six & I really like it for what it is), an old-school Ibis Ti Mojo, and one of the allegedly "only 26 made - one for each letter of the alphabet" Ibis single-speed's based on the steel Mojo ("Augie").

I regret losing the eBay auction for Scot Nicol's personal Ibis Scorcher, waaay-back-when. That was probably my initiation into the harsh reality of auction-bid sniping. . .
Old 05-16-2021, 08:22 AM

Current frame builder, but not many Ahearne's out there, and each one is different.

So here's my entry...

November 16, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

November 1, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 05-16-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts but I am def. no expert.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:41 AM

I remember seeing this at a bike show and wanting to take it around the world in 1996? Also Glenn Erickson made some cool ones. I rode the stem a while but for technical riding it was horrible. Sold quite a few bikes and stems in the day. Older folks and TT people loved them.