Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 05:13 PM

Best fenders for 35mm tires?

Hi, folks. I love fenders for riding in the winter. Newest bike will have 700x35mm tires, and I'd like to make sure I'm buying the best of the best.

What's the best fenders that are out there today for a 35mm tire? Are the Rene Herse H50 considered the gold standard?

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...mm-tires-pair/

Your advice is appreciated - thanks!
Old 05-15-2021, 05:17 PM
Meh

Those are indeed the gold standard and I have the hammered version for winter on the Scarab. Hell of a pain to setup - there is a reason Box Dog in SF charges $200 for Honjo setup.

One thing to watch out for is the fork crown mount - they work best if you have a mount on the bottom of the crown. If you have the mount at the rear of the crown, you need to use an L-bracket, which will result in more rattling.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:18 PM

I like PDW better than Herse on my 700x35 bikes. Easier to install and less rattle IMO. (Source: I’ve tried both.)
Old 05-15-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Those are indeed the gold standard and I have the hammered version for winter on the Scarab. Hell of a pain to setup - there is a reason Box Dog in SF charges $200 for Honjo setup.
Yeah, I'll set up plastic fenders on bikes no problem, but for metal fenders of any type I take those into the shop. Way better to have a professional do that, in my opinion!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:18 PM

Honjo makes the best aluminum fenders.

Berthoud makes the best stainless fenders.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:23 PM
That guy..

I use H40 Honjo's. Excellent fenders. Not hard to set up, and super sturdy. Surprisingly light too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2021, 09:46 PM

I got the fluted version of those, I guess they're called the H47/H51, as an upgrade from the Velo Orange set I had been running. Ended up being harder to set-up and more flexible for like 3x the cost. Honestly I didn't see any advantage and I think the people that gush about Honjo/RH are coming from SKS chromoplastics or other cheap crap fenders.

I sold off the RH set pretty quick and have VO sets on four different bikes now with no complaints.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
I got the fluted version of those, I guess they're called the H47/H51, as an upgrade from the Velo Orange set I had been running. Ended up being harder to set-up and more flexible for like 3x the cost. Honestly I didn't see any advantage and I think the people that gush about Honjo/RH are coming from SKS chromoplastics or other cheap crap fenders.

I sold off the RH set pretty quick and have VO sets on four different bikes now with no complaints.
I too am a big fan of the VO fenders. I find their pre drillings and hardware make setup much easier than the other traditional fenders that have no pre drillings.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Randomhead

I think the problem with Berthoud for 35mm tires is you probably want to go with 55mm fenders. I have some 45mm Berthoud on my 32mm tires and they are a bit narrow internally due to the rolled gutters inside.

I like the way Honjos look, but I have heard of too many broken fenders. I think you could use a Berthoud fender as a rack if it had eyelets for panniers. I had a fully packed large ortlieb saddle bag fall off onto my Berthoud fender. Given the sound, I thought I was going to have to take the fender off and throw it away. But it was unharmed. I'm sure a Honjo would have been destroyed.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:37 AM

I've had all the fenders mentioned minus the Herse (wonder who makes them?) and at the end of the day I'd choose the Planet Bike Cascade ALX. Hands down great fender and a great value. The other thing I like is to be able to remove them for certain rides. They also mute the sound a bit compared to others when you get a pebble or whatever between the tire and fender. A+ in my book.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 7.33.11 AM.png (90.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 08:10 AM

One thing I didn't mention is that you didn't mention what bike you were building? That can certainly inform your decision. Not sure I'd go with the Planet Bike on a Weigel or other similar bikes.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:51 AM

Best for the money? Best for image? Best coolness factor?
I use the Velo Orange fenders myself.

My Honjo fenders sit above my workbench like a piece of art.

Some 35 mm tires measure 34 and some measure 38. Clearance to frame or fork is another factor.

The mudflap is probably more important than say VO to Honjo comparison.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Best for the money? Best for image? Best coolness factor?
Best for safety?

SKS.
Their quick release feature has saved me numerous time. Would not consider anything else.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:02 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Best for safety?

SKS.
Their quick release feature has saved me numerous time. Would not consider anything else.
I use PDW which also has this feature.

This is what I use (I run 700x35 as well). Rattle-free and kept me dry all winter, riding through rain, snow, and slush.

https://www.rei.com/product/104915/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-16-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I use PDW which also has this feature.
Nice. Another fender option.