Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 11:39 AM

MTB questions

I am beginning to wish I had just held out for a complete build since all the new MTB lingo and options is making my head hurt (I never have headaches).

Frame is a 27.5" Boost carbon with 73 mm BSA BB

I am definitely not a hardcore MTB rider and trying to do a cheaper build. What I have so far:

Frame, BTLOS carbon wheels, GX/ X1 shifter, cassette, RD, chain 1X build.

What 11s crank do I need - Standard, Boost, Super Boost: confused: I assume just a standard crank?

What is a decent disc brake set-up - no mountains or super steep or long descents. Center lock 180 or 180/160 rotors

Who makes a fairly light decent 27.5 Boost 120 - 130 travel tapered steerer fork that is around 2000G or less and not $$$$ - say $300-$400.

Used is fine and I have a WTB in the classifieds.

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2021, 11:57 AM
VAV

[QUOTE=sokyroadie;2927897]I am beginning to wish I had just held out for a complete build since all the new MTB lingo and options is making my head hurt (I never have headaches).

Do tell. I wanted a hardtail a while ago a friend suggested buying a frameset and building it up. I went NO THANKS for exactly the reasons you mention. Good luck

ps. I ended up buying a Fuse hardtail and still don't know the specs of some of the components.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:57 AM
shimergo

Quote:
What 11s crank do I need - Standard, Boost, Super Boost: confused: I assume just a standard crank?
If you want to stick with SRAM, look for a GXP Boost crankset and mate it with a GXP bottom bracket. If your frame does in fact have a 73mm BSA BB shell, you won't need to install any spacers between it and the BB.

Quote:
What is a decent disc brake set-up - no mountains or super steep or long descents. Center lock 180 or 180/160 rotors
I prefer running Shimano brakes (SLX, XT, etc.) with Shimano rotors.

Quote:
Who makes a fairly light decent 27.5 Boost 120 - 130 travel tapered steerer fork that is around 2000G or less and not $$$$ - say $300-$400.
On that budget, look for a used Fox Performance 32 or 34 (32mm or 34mm fork stanchions depending on how rowdy you plan to get) or potentially a Rockshox SID Select fork. Most of these forks are well under 2000g.

I recommend scouring the Pinkbike classifieds for some deals too.

Last edited by scoobydrew; 05-15-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:05 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
If you want to stick with SRAM, look for a GXP Boost crankset and mate it with a GXP bottom bracket. If your frame does in fact have a 73mm BSA BB shell, you won't need to install any spacers between it and the BB.
GXP is dead for Sram MTB. Even their entry level SX cranks are DUB now. (GXP is the older 24/22mm spindle and DUB is their newer 28.99mm spindle)

Unlike Shimano cranks, Sram cranks are not boost specific. You can change the offset with the chainring. 6mm offset ring is 142/std. 3mm offset is boost.

If your frame is superboost, Sram does make a Superboost crank with a wider Q factor, but you can cheat on an older crank and use a 0 offset fatbike ring. You just need to make sure the arms clear the stays.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:09 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
GXP is dead for Sram MTB. Even their entry level SX cranks are DUB now. (GXP is the older 24/22mm spindle and DUB is their newer 28.99mm spindle)

Unlike Shimano cranks, Sram cranks are not boost specific. You can change the offset with the chainring. 6mm offset ring is 142/std. 3mm offset is boost.

If your frame is superboost, Sram does make a Superboost crank with a wider Q factor, but you can cheat on an older crank and use a 0 offset fatbike ring. You just need to make sure the arms clear the stays.
You're right. Totally forgot they make BSA DUB BBs.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:10 PM
Resident Slacker

Shimano entry level brakes are better than Sram's IMHO. Just don't go below Deore. Deore retains the same single finger lever style that is used all the way up to XTR. Go with metallic/sintered pads.

180/160 rotors should be fine.

What tire width will you be riding?
Old 05-15-2021, 12:33 PM

I just went thru this and got help from local shop. I really like the TRP disc brakes. I found a used fork on a FB mtb group.