Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 06:40 PM

Campy EPS Questions (trepidation)

Okay, This could be TLDR. Plenty of members here possess the expertise to educate/advise me. If you need, please skip to the bottom of the post. Thanks
I found a bike for sale here locally. Trek Project One, original purchaser, maintained like one would expect by someone who would have a bicycle custom configured. The price is beyond fair, given the value of the sum of the parts.....but. It's assembled with Original Version Super Record EPS, all currently functioning as designed. I've always been a mechanical shifter Luddite. I've seen Shimano rapidly obsolete previous versions of Di2, and swore I'd never own a bike that required a "firmware update" to operate.
Though I'm not an industry insider, I've always felt that Campagnolo did a good job servicing their older technology. Yet as I researched EPS 11 speed I see three versions of practical technology upgrades. My primary concern with an eight year old system is the battery.....Ah, "Power Unit". And I see that the newer "power units" require a corresponding "Interface Unit". It seems that the older version batteries....."Power Units".....aren't supported in the supply chain when the newer versions are released. Am I considering purchasing a used bike that I'm not going to be able to service as it ages?
Initially I was looking to replace that ugly, brick shaped, V1 "power unit" with one that locates internally. Yet it seems that all 11 speed is no longer serviced through the supply chain. If I choose to ride this bike until the battery no longer functions/charges, what practical options are available?
Old 05-13-2021, 07:13 PM
Cat 6

If you have V1, you can just replace the battery and interface for a V2 version, or a V3 version. You cannot replace mix batteries and interfaces.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
If you have V1, you can just replace the battery and interface for a V2 version, or a V3 version. You cannot replace mix batteries and interfaces.
What he said. The battery and interface unit are the key. You can upgrade them together along the v2/v3 path just fine and the 11 speed stuff will keep trucking along.

Ride it till the battery won't hold a charge, then look to upgrade imo.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Plus 3..altho I have a V1 EPS and considering how often I charge it(not much..maybe 2-3 times PER YEAR)..go for it. Shifters are very 'tactile', stuff works flawlessly. Use the magnet 'turn off battery' interconnect doohicky..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-15-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the information. I needed confirmation for my research.
I planned to ride the current system until the electrons cease to flow. I just function better when I have a plan for those "little surprises".
The "magnet doohicky" looks like it's never been out of the original package. Does it just turn the system off? Or does it have another purpose?
The bike came with a bucketload of original documentation for all the Campy bits, but no real 'operator manual'. I've kind of poked around the Campagnolo site for something like that. I guess it's there somewhere? I'll wander through YouTube and see what's there also.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombtfslpk View Post
Thanks for the information. I needed confirmation for my research.
I planned to ride the current system until the electrons cease to flow. I just function better when I have a plan for those "little surprises".
The "magnet doohicky" looks like it's never been out of the original package. Does it just turn the system off? Or does it have another purpose?
The bike came with a bucketload of original documentation for all the Campy bits, but no real 'operator manual'. I've kind of poked around the Campagnolo site for something like that. I guess it's there somewhere? I'll wander through YouTube and see what's there also.
Turns the whole system 'off', stops trons from coming outta the battery and preserves not only the charge but the battery life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItwlZV93jf4
Old 06-17-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Plus 3..altho I have a V1 EPS and considering how often I charge it(not much..maybe 2-3 times PER YEAR)..go for it. Shifters are very 'tactile', stuff works flawlessly. Use the magnet 'turn off battery' interconnect doohicky..
I'm a loyal campy guy, but my EPS V4 unit seems to have died after less than 1yr of use. It's either a dead battery or the interface. Campy tech wants me to send it all in for diagnosis and potential warranty replacement. Apparently to do this, you have to go through a bikeshop to authorize the return/diagnosis process. Then, I'm not sure if they ship to Italy or some US service center; hopefully the latter. Either way, the process has already taken one week just in emails back and forth. Not sure how long the diagnosis will take. I requested they just send a new battery and interface and I can troubleshoot and more quickly determine what's broken and then return the unused parts. They won't do this.
I'm tempted just to buy a new battery, but at $400-500USD, it's hard to justify rather than just wait it out for the likely warranty replacement. I've never had to process any sort of bike claim in over 20yrs, but between this and some China carbon rims, I'm on a bad streak this season.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:27 AM
PegoNagos

I had 11s EPS v3 on a bike about a year. It shifted great.

I had an issue where the front wiring thing went bad and Campagnolo NA replaced it under warranty.

Be VERY careful when plugging in the charger as it is delicate.

Personally, I don't see myself going back to electric shifting - especially a wired unit.

I had Di2 on a couple of bikes too. Had a dead battery a couple of times too - that really ruined those rides.

Cabled shifting works great. To me, electric shifting fixed a problem that didn't exist.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I had 11s EPS v3 on a bike about a year. It shifted great.

I had an issue where the front wiring thing went bad and Campagnolo NA replaced it under warranty.

Be VERY careful when plugging in the charger as it is delicate.

Personally, I don't see myself going back to electric shifting - especially a wired unit.

I had Di2 on a couple of bikes too. Had a dead battery a couple of times too - that really ruined those rides.

Cabled shifting works great. To me, electric shifting fixed a problem that didn't exist.
Yep, I'm always very careful, but the design is horrible with those little pins. I love the EPS shifting and no requirement for fine tuning, but when the technology fails, all I can do is stare at my bike in the garage till it gets fixed. Thankfully I have two other bikes to use; both non electric.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:42 AM

Somewhat related to the original question, I have Record v3 EPS. When the battery dies on it, can I use v4 battery + interface or do I have to find v3 battery to keep using v3 shifters / derailleur?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:39 PM

I believe V4 is only for 12 speed shifters and mechs, you can't use it with your V3 11 speed shifters and mechs.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:15 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Go for it! What's the worst that can happen? Install a mechanical drivetrain?

Not that I'd recommend a mechanical drivetrain for one of those aero Madones. ...or any aero bike for that matter. The cable runs are teh suck.

Took me 3 days to build the first project 1 Madone because it was a bare frame when they were brand new. Look at instructions compare to the bike in the stand, look at instructions, scratch head, look at instructions, repeat

M
Old 06-18-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout2015 View Post
Somewhat related to the original question, I have Record v3 EPS. When the battery dies on it, can I use v4 battery + interface or do I have to find v3 battery to keep using v3 shifters / derailleur?
there's a new v4 battery for 11s which is being discussed in ww, more info here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...tery&start=195
Old 06-18-2021, 07:34 AM

Interesting! Can anyone in the know comment if the 11sp v4 battery means the new v4 bar end junction can be used with 11sp EPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulcha View Post
there's a new v4 battery for 11s which is being discussed in ww, more info here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...tery&start=195
Old 06-18-2021, 08:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
I'm a loyal campy guy, but my EPS V4 unit seems to have died after less than 1yr of use. It's either a dead battery or the interface. Campy tech wants me to send it all in for diagnosis and potential warranty replacement. Apparently to do this, you have to go through a bikeshop to authorize the return/diagnosis process. Then, I'm not sure if they ship to Italy or some US service center; hopefully the latter. Either way, the process has already taken one week just in emails back and forth. Not sure how long the diagnosis will take. I requested they just send a new battery and interface and I can troubleshoot and more quickly determine what's broken and then return the unused parts. They won't do this.
I'm tempted just to buy a new battery, but at $400-500USD, it's hard to justify rather than just wait it out for the likely warranty replacement. I've never had to process any sort of bike claim in over 20yrs, but between this and some China carbon rims, I'm on a bad streak this season.
Probably a local eval but you may ask that bike shop if you can send it to Quality Bike Parts or Hawley..both service centers.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/service_center

Do the lights on the interface give any clues? From the peanut gallery, I'll bet it's the interface..