Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I'm not looking for a pissing match, but if you could explain your statement a bit more I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
My bad, all I meant to say was that I felt the difference between two sets of tires, and the tires according to brr had a 4-5 watt difference in rolling resistance. That is to say I can notice having to expend 10 more watts than usual to go the same speed apparently, but I think rolling resistance magnifies the feeling of slowness since you slow down more quickly when you coast.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:32 PM

I think it was the cyclingtips podcast, but I recall the EF Nippo and Quick Step reps were unequivocal that clinchers and tubeless tires are faster than tubulars. In some cases up to 12 watts, so while riders may choose tubulars they have at least clearly been informed by team management of pros and cons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
6 inches.

Are we talking tires or appendages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-05-2021, 01:56 PM

OK, thanks. Now I have another reason to not get a power meter. I may succumb someday, but if I do buy one I think I'll be pretty disappointed in my numbers.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Are we talking tires or appendages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
one thing is for sure, it's a good thing the OP caught that little mishap while the sealant was still liquidy. at least with the sealant i use - once it's dry, it's not going anywhere. i spilled some sealant in my driveway over a year ago and just let it dry, and it's still there!
This is something that has crossed my mind about this goop as well as batteries etc used now to shift or propel what was once considered a very "green" form of transportation/exercise etc
Old 03-21-2022, 06:10 AM

So many tubeless threads, I picked one randomly.
Didn't wanna start a new one just for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9lBquHFHk
Old 03-21-2022, 09:26 AM
Back At It!

Didn't read all the pages, but a couple things stuck out to me from Hellgate's first few posts... and to each his or her own, but for me...

1. Tubeless- maybe one day, but at this point I just don't see the need... again, not against it (have tubeless on MTB), but don't see the need for my smaller road tires right now. I have considered putting an ounce or so of sealant into a tube though... purely for the sealing of a small cut/etc vs anything else... maybe that is a good alternative?

2. The issue with the CO2 that Hellgate had- I ran with CO2 for a while many years ago, but decided the waste of the canisters wasn't good for the environment (many just leave theirs at the side of the road) and it really isn't that big of a deal to have a Lezyne Road Drive mounted to my seat tube bottle cage... that way I know I will never be without air.

Again, to each their own, just my .01... of course, I'm not a watt chaser and I ride for pleasure/fitness and not for the fastest known time.

Last edited by fourflys; 03-21-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:57 AM

the youtube link is private.
If Vittoria Corsa Control are so bad what 28C tires are people using that give the best performance? SCHWALBE PRO ONE TLE?
Old 03-21-2022, 11:31 AM

Anecdotally, I've had fewer (zero) issues with all tubeless setups versus tubed over the years. My S/O commutes from the Outer Richmond to the Mission every day and started out with tubed Bontrager tyres, resulting in slow leaks a couple times a week (crap like glass from broken car windows). I switched her over to some used GP5K TLs I had kicking around and there hasn't been a single issue since, other than occasionally topping off sealant and air.

I just ride for pleasure, not transportation, so I can afford to experiment with things ranging from latex tubes to tubeless and experience has conditioned way more trepidation over flatting a tubed setup than tubeless. Nothing intrinsic is gonna save you if the casing is totally compromised, but overall, TL puts my mind at ease more than tubes.

WRT things like rolling resistance? Just avoid junk tyres and buy what's appropriate for your style of riding.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
So many tubeless threads, I picked one randomly.
Didn't wanna start a new one just for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9lBquHFHk
I always wonder abut stuff like this. Does he always record himself on rollers and today was the day that happened? Did he just happen to record himself on the day his tire blew? Was it staged for effect? That seems crazy, unless he did it in an AirBnB under an assumed name (kidding).