Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2021, 12:15 AM

Many years on tubeless for my mountain bikes and 2+ years in on tubeless with Conti GP5000TL tires (25C) on DT Swiss PR 1400 tubeless-compatible wheels on the road bike. Well over 2000 miles in on that combo and couldn't be happier. I'll never go back to tubes. Ability to run lower pressures for both mountain and road has been a game-changer. Obvious traction improvement on trail with the MTBs and much better feel on the road bike on the all too common chip seal roads in my area.

The right tire/rim combination makes all the difference. On the MTB side of things, almost everything works now (not nearly so true 7-8 years ago). In the road world, it's still new enough that some combos work way better than others. The Conti/DT Swiss combo was simple to setup and has been flawless in operation. Highly recommended.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddykins View Post
pretty sure that wouldnt have happened with downtube shifters...
potd

Last edited by reuben; 05-04-2021 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:31 AM

I wasn't sure about going to tubeless on my road bike (28 mm tires), but the experience has been quite good. I keep a dynaplug tool as well as the regular bacon strip one with me for those types of situations and I've never had to use them on the road bike. Gravel bike I've used the dynaplug once, 2 years with no issues. Going tubeless without one or both of the aforementioned is like going out without a spare tube or patch kit for non-tubeless.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Awesome money shot....
I was going to go there but wondered how the mods would take it. Thanks for the giggle.

Tim
Old 05-04-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmoose View Post
On the MTB side of things, almost everything works now (not nearly so true 7-8 years ago). In the road world, it's still new enough that some combos work way better than others. The Conti/DT Swiss combo was simple to setup and has been flawless in operation. Highly recommended.

This is so true. My house rule, anything above 32 width is tubeless. Anything below, I will wait and see.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Clean that stuff up before it wrecks the flooring
Or get one of these..danger!! Should be in any bike tool kit with tubeless tires anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slip-and-fall-inury-wet-floor-signs.jpg (21.3 KB, 244 views)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
This is so true. My house rule, anything above 32 width is tubeless. Anything below, I will wait and see.
hmm, wonder where I fit? I run 32 gp5k tls and they've been faultless, wore them down to the cords (about 4500 miles in the back). 1 flat in about 7k miles, fixed with tube roadside. No need to run narrower if your bike fits them..
Old 05-04-2021, 07:20 AM

makes sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Yeah it’s really fun patching tubes versus just riding and not getting flats most of the time, makes total sense dude!
Old 05-04-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
Pretty sure that wouldnt have happened with downtube shifters...
you must have some kind of strange bicycle. I don't think shifter type is related to how many tubeless tires you shred prematurely causing white gu to come out. UNLESS....... Your shimano brifters are chewing the heads off of cables and spitting out bits of wire that you are then running over. But wait, the sealant would easily seal up those tiny holes.

WAIT! DT shifters make you slower which in turn makes your tires last longer!!!!!

I guess you are right, probably wouldn't have happen with DT shifters
Old 05-04-2021, 07:28 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
if latex leaking tires are not your thing, the new new thing is these plastic
air bladders that go inside the tire, no liquid needed.
You can change tires in the house with out worrying about liquid latex all
over the floor, pretty handy. No more standing in a cold garage to change tires.
+1
Old 05-04-2021, 07:51 AM

My 28mm michelin tubeless tires on two bikes have been great so far. No pinch flat or air loss on a rock strike big enough to dent the rim a little. If I get a puncture that won't seal, I carry a tube and CO2. I'm not messing with plugs or bacon strips. The ride is great with air pressure in the sixties.

When I removed my tire last week, it went back on with no tools and seated easily.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
hmm, wonder where I fit? I run 32 gp5k tls and they've been faultless, wore them down to the cords (about 4500 miles in the back). 1 flat in about 7k miles, fixed with tube roadside. No need to run narrower if your bike fits them..
I meant 32 and above. Interested in those 32 gp5k tubeless. Anyone with experience using these on light gravel/road mix?
Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 AM

This one time in the 90's, I was riding in a fast group and the rear derailleur snapped on the guy in front of me. It made me wary of multi-speed bikes for years. Just about the time I was okay with derailleurs, bam, my XT RD snapped while I was JRA in the woods. Lots of trust issues.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I meant 32 and above. Interested in those 32 gp5k tubeless. Anyone with experience using these on light gravel/road mix?
I run the GP5K TL 32 tubeless as my road setup on my Aspero. Incredible tire, well made, extremely durable, I've used them for mixed terrain rides with no flats to date.

I've been a fan of tubeless for a long time and can remember when Stan and others were experimenting with sealant mixtures on mtbr.com. Just like tubes, there are going to be times when the puncture is too big to hold air requiring either a replacement tube or a plug. One huge benefit I've found from tubeless is that there have been times that I got a puncture but didn't even realize it until I got home and found the goop sprayed around the tire and frame, self sealing and not having to switch out a tube roadside outweighs the trouble with the goop to me.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I LOVE sealant all over the floor. I think sealed tires seeping sealant is cute. I enjoy bikes with sealant sprayed everywhere, on legs and frame, headset etc. Breaking sealant glued tires free of thw rim is a joy. Having to get tire tools I very seldom needed on tube style tires is making me giddy. Having to service tires that aren't leaking by adding sealant every so often takes more time than fixing a flat. That makes SO much sense.
[/sarcasm]
I fix other people's flat tires, but I very rarely needed to fix my own. When I did fix my own, it usually was because I had ridden worn tires far too long. I literally go whole a tire life without flats.

Last edited by bikinchris; 05-04-2021 at 12:21 PM.