Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2018, 11:02 AM

6800 Front Derailleur Shifting

For the life of me I cannot get my Shimano 6800 derailleur to shift nicely on my Ind Fab Ti frame. I have tried both set-up options and I just don't seem to get enough movement top to bottom. I can shift ok but am constantly rubbing and have to trim excessively (in my opinion) to keep things quiet. The the derailleur clamp, chain and chainrings have all been changed to no avail.

I have the same derailleur on two other bikes so I believe there is something about this frame and the 6800 derailleur that do not play nice. Are there any tricks that might get a better result?

I also read that the new 8000 series front derailleur is a new design and might work better. Can anyone confirm. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromopromo View Post
For the life of me I cannot get my Shimano 6800 derailleur to shift nicely on my Ind Fab Ti frame. I have tried both set-up options and I just don't seem to get enough movement top to bottom. I can shift ok but am constantly rubbing and have to trim excessively (in my opinion) to keep things quiet. The the derailleur clamp, chain and chainrings have all been changed to no avail.

I have the same derailleur on two other bikes so I believe there is something about this frame and the 6800 derailleur that do not play nice. Are there any tricks that might get a better result?

I also read that the new 8000 series front derailleur is a new design and might work better. Can anyone confirm. Thanks.
The 8000 derailuer works far better than 6800 and plays well with 6800 shifters.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
The 8000 derailuer works far better than 6800 and plays well with 6800 shifters.
The new new 11sp derailleur is nicer, but with some fiddling, you can get the long-arm derailleurs to shift right.

M
Old 04-14-2018, 11:38 AM

Great. I tired of messing with this one.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromopromo View Post
Great. I tired of messing with this one.
there's a few youtube videos on how to get the long arm derailleur to work. My version is to pre-tension the cable by pulling the cage out with the cable X far, then lock it down. As the cage moves back towards the bike, it'll tighten up more. Gives you just about the right tension without too much hassle

M
Old 04-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Read and follow the Shimano tech doc exactly. Make sure you set the tension with the shifter in the correct trim position. It's not like most FDs. A forth hand helps with the initial tensioning too. The new design gives better tire clearance but is finicky in its own way. But the tension microadjust really helps.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:43 PM

I can't help but wonder what would be posted if this was a post about a SRAM front derailleur....

My apologies to the OP. But Shimano front derailleur shifting sucks. Bad.

Last edited by bikinchris; 04-14-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I can't help but wonder what would be posted if this was a post about a SRAM front derailleur....

My apologies to the OP. But Shimano front derailleur shifting sucks. Bad.
Well, setup, long arm 5800/6800/9000 DOES suck but if done right, ala exactly like vid or instructions with inline or otherwise barrel adjuster...it works great but setup...yowser!!! Too bad cus 10s/9s, road/MTB easy and works great.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:43 PM

Two thoughts:

1) Some frames are more difficult than others to set up 9000/6800/5800 front derailleurs. Seems to be a function of chainstay length and chainline. I have a CAAD10 that set up quickly and easily with a 9000 front derailleur. My CAAD9 with 6800 nearly drove me to drink.

2) Check out this YouTube video for an easy workaround:
https://youtu.be/-5jnNScKhRs

Greg
Old 04-14-2018, 07:21 PM

I think I have tried all the tricks and need to try the new 8000 derailleur. It seems like Shimano cut the tolerances alittle to fine with the 6800 front shifting. I will admit that shifting performance is excellent ie super quick but I wish I had more overall room for the front rings. I am right at zero on both the high and low position and I hate having to trim all the time. As I said, my other bikes shift much better so I think my IF frame is a problem.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:05 PM

I had the same troubles with the 6800 FD on my Vamoots. I tried all the tricks, watched all the videos and finally gave up after a year or so. Bought the 8000 FD last fall and problem solved. I concluded there was something about my frame that was just not completely compatible with the 6800, as I’ve set up the 6800 with no issues at all on other bikes.