Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM

1950s Jo Routens restoration by Mariposa

A bike truly worthy of restoration: https://mariposabicycles.ca/blog/201...re-jo-routens/. I assume that the seatpost was custom made by Routens for this bike.

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-05-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Stunning work. While there's no shortage of eye candy there, I'd agree that the seatpost takes the cake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
A bike truly worthy of restoration: https://mariposabicycles.ca/blog/201...re-jo-routens/. I assume that the seatpost was custom made by Routens for this bike.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:57 PM

Great article about Routens in the current BQ.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Great article about Routens in the current BQ.
Great article, I have to agree. And to think that I knew almost nothing of this most accomplished rider and builder.
One of my Peugeot's seatposts is branded JPR, which it turns out are the initials of Jo Routens' son (also a racer and successor in the family bicycle business) who designed it.

Ahhh, that Peugeot, whose JPR seatpost is extremely lightweight and micro-adjustable from under the cradle, so convenient! I pre-rode sections of the Tour of California (out of Nevada City, Auburn, ect.) in fast company some six or eight years ago on this bike, and still remember how many of us endured heat-induced leg cramps from sodium loss!

And speaking of old French bikes, I bought this 1981 650b model last night, had been donated by the original owner who never rode it (I could feel the freewheel tightening on the first modest climb I tested it on). $60 took it home:

Last edited by dddd; 04-05-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:32 AM

That article made me wish I could get into a time machine and commission a bike from Routens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 AM

Wait!....Where are the buttons for the electronic shifting?.....Where is the reservoir for the brake fluid...Where are the disk brake rotors?...Where is the powermeter and cyclecomputer?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 AM

Like ^^^^
Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 AM

I think that on these forums I sometimes come across as more of a retrogrouch than I am... I like the convenience of integrated shifters, lots of gears, clipless pedals, etc...Sometimes it is good to take a few steps back and look at the big picture. This is especially true with vintage bikes. A bike like the subject Routens is a great example from an era when the best bikes were fabulous as a whole...That is they were far greater than the sum of their parts. I would love to take this bike on a weekend trip-maybe across the C&O towpath with a small set of panniers and a handlebar bag...I'm sure that I would come away from the experience in awe of the brilliant design capabilities of the builder...