Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Nibali is interested. I think his chances are low but I wouldn't count them at zero either. He's proven many times that when he targets something he's a contender.

He's already equal to or greater than Saronni or Moser in the hierarchy of Italian cyclists in my opinion (though Moser can make a good argument). If he were to be able to win a Flanders he'd really cement his case for legend status.
When Nibali won MSR and set his intent to race Flanders, my first thought was "holy ****, it'd be crazy if it happened, but I think he *could* win Flanders". Of course he'd need a lot of luck, and the race would have to go w very specific way... but in the right circumstances he has the attributes he needs: we know he is good for long hard days, he's shown that he can handle himself on cobbles, and he is a cagey racer. His lack of skull-crushing power, and no sprint to me seemed like his real weaknesses-- both of which become a non issue if someone like Benoot goes early on the Muur and takes Nibali with him. Outside chance for sure, but not impossible.

...But, then I read a few interviews with DSs and riders and two points stuck out to me that basically have me feeling like his chances are more or less 0 for the win this year: 1) it was pointed out that the bergs are so steep and bumpy that the ability to make huge watts in the saddle are essential to making and following attacks-- Nibali's GC style is just not gonna equal the heavy hitters on the decisive short punchy climbs, and 2) the course is so long and complicated that it takes years of riding the race to really know how to position yourself and your team effectively in the crucial moments-- this is his first attempt so he doesn't yet really know how to handle his ride from a planning standpoint.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on why Nibali is an exciting addition to the race but in the end probably has next to no chance of winning.

Last edited by JimmyTango; 03-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Nibali is interested. I think his chances are low but I wouldn't count them at zero either. He's proven many times that when he targets something he's a contender.

He's already equal to or greater than Saronni or Moser in the hierarchy of Italian cyclists in my opinion (though Moser can make a good argument). If he were to be able to win a Flanders he'd really cement his case for legend status.
Nibali's still got a ways to go to sniff Moser imo. Moser's one of two men to win three Roubaixs in a row (and Octave Lapize's wins are from another era entirely), and did so as a great one-day rider in a golden age of classics riders.

Nibali is this era's Saronni I think, and he's probably surpassed Saronni from an achievement standpoint.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
On the other hand, I am not sure I can see past that ridiculous cheating incident when he got DQ'd from the Vuelta. Maybe you just chalk it up to a bad decision in the heat of the moment, but it was beyond flagrant.
I'm able to look beyond it. It think it was indeed a gross error in judgement in the heat of the battle. It was a really dumb thing and he got what he deserved. I don't really think it casts a long shadow over his career though it was comically dumb! The video of it is almost laughable because it was plain and simple cheating in the most blatant fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Nibali's still got a ways to go to sniff Moser imo. Moser's one of two men to win three Roubaixs in a row (and Octave Lapize's wins are from another era entirely), and did so as a great one-day rider in a golden age of classics riders.

Nibali is this era's Saronni I think, and he's probably surpassed Saronni from an achievement standpoint.
It's hard to argue this point but his victories in the three Grand Tours put him in a rarified place. No question it's hard to argue Moser's three Paris-Roubaix victories and these are viewable on YouTube. They were epic victories at the height of his powers and he also raced at Flanders during his career. They targeted different goals, Moser and Nibali so there's not a ton of overlap in a comparison.

Anyway, his presence may turn out to be nothing but it would be neat to see it be something more than just a publicity stunt and have him in the mix.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 PM

My favorite one day races are:

Paris Roubaix
Flanders
Ghent Wevelgem
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
Liege
Fleche Wallone
Amstel Gold
Milan San Remo
Worlds

Lombardia is just okay for me.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I'm able to look beyond it. It think it was indeed a gross error in judgement in the heat of the battle. It was a really dumb thing and he got what he deserved. I don't really think it casts a long shadow over his career though it was comically dumb! The video of it is almost laughable because it was plain and simple cheating in the most blatant fashion.

It's hard to argue this point but his victories in the three Grand Tours put him in a rarified place. No question it's hard to argue Moser's three Paris-Roubaix victories and these are viewable on YouTube. They were epic victories at the height of his powers and he also raced at Flanders during his career. They targeted different goals, Moser and Nibali so there's not a ton of overlap in a comparison.

Anyway, his presence may turn out to be nothing but it would be neat to see it be something more than just a publicity stunt and have him in the mix.
Nibali is easily the better Grand Tour rider. Mosers only grand tour win is that laugher of a Giro that eliminated basically all mountains so the Tifosi got what they wanted. Pro wrestling is less scripted than that Giro win.

They're a bit different animals. Nibali seems more in that Saronni, Nencini vein. He's definitely more versatile. Moser was just a watt monster.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Um, I didn't qualify anything. I am an unapologetic and unabashed fan of them. They're all great races. I think the Tour de France, and Grand Tours more generally are like watching paint dry. Which is a bit of a contrarian view to those who think Le Tour is the top of the heap.
This is certainly true of the Tour, not so much the Giro/Vuelta. But even in those a stage can suddenly develop the flavor of a one day race. Contador attacking and winning the last mountain stage that he would race - history.

But nothing beats the Classics and of the Classics, the next two weeks are holiest of the hollies.

I cannot wait. I cannot wait. I cannot wait.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I'm an unapologetic and unabashed fan of the Monuments. They're all deep in the history of the sport, and could you really identify five one-day races someone would rather win than those five?

They're the pinnacle of bike racing, as far as I'm concerned, and align with that Phillipe Gilbert said in his recent Rouleur interview: They're about racing to win, rather than the defensive and often negative racing we see in the Grand Tours.

Roubaix is top of the hill, but love MSR for the slow burn and buildup to the finish. Flanders is awful and full of chaos but you've got to be on point to win it, and LBL and Lombardy reward the climbers who also happen to be tough as nails.

Strade Bianche is great, but its too early in the season and frankly needs a lot more history before its in the same ballpark as the Monuments.
What he said..lookin forward to Sunday, hope the feed is a-workin..
Old 03-31-2018, 08:55 AM

Another huge classics fan here, and to add to the slight thread drift, I love Classica San Sebastian. Like Strade Bianche it always has a great field, exciting racing, the whole package for a great one day. Outside of the monuments its a can't miss race.

As for Flanders tomorrow, I don't see how anyone beats Quickstep. I think it will be Terpstra.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:30 AM

I like the GTs. They’re just different. Especially the Giro. Love M-SR as well. I guess I like Italian races the best.

P-R and Flanders can be very excellent as well. I find L-B-L and Lombardy to be snoozers.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 AM

What if the satellite falls at tomorrow's race area???