Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Bet that's a one of a kind paint job. I've seen lots of pink/orange fades on various models, but never one with fire truck yellow. It's hard to see the decal colors but my guess is that Serotta didn't keep Colorado II decals on hand in those colors. The standard decal colors for the pink/orange fade are green with yellow borders. I have the pink/orange fade on a 1991 NHX. While that paint was a standard color for the CII, it wasn't standard for the NHX so my frame also lacks a model decal.

Great to see it, thanks for posting.
If you google “serotta neon fade,” you will see other examples of that same paint scheme, although where the colors transition seems to vary more than with other 2-color fades.

Those colors have held up exceptionally well. The neon pink tends to fade just looking at it.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
That is a great example of the Colorado II. I have one from that time period that I ordered new. They were the pinnacle of custom bicycle frames in that era and still extremely fine frames. If it fits you, just ride it forever.
It fits great other than the fact that I am almost 30 years older than when I ordered it so I am not as flexible now as I was then so I went with a different stem and post coming out of the fork steerer tube so I could get some height on it, so it fits like a glove again.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Riding Along

I have a 1991 Colorado II and I would run back into my burning house to save it, then I would go back in for the wife and kids... I picked up the frame here a few years ago. It was the bike that I lusted after as a young teenaged racer but could not afford at the time. It was worth the 20+ year wait, so worth it.

Last edited by Black Dog; 05-05-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I have a 1991 Colorado II and I would run back into my burning house to save it, then I would go back in for the wife and kids... I picked up the frame here a few years ago. It was the bike that I lusted after as a young teenaged racer but could not afford at the time. It was worth the 20+ year wait, so worth it.

Outstanding. That is a beautiful color. How does it look in the sun? I feel the same way. When I walked out of the bike shop with my fame and fork in hand I know I had a shyt eating grin a mile wide on my ugly mug.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
Outstanding. That is a beautiful color. How does it look in the sun? I feel the same way. When I walked out of the bike shop with my fame and fork in hand I know I had a shyt eating grin a mile wide on my ugly mug.
The bike was resprayed at the Serotta factory in '97 and while there was spaced to 130mm and the internal rear brake routing was plugged and cable stops were added to the TT. The paint is deep and rich in the sun. I will get it re-painted again one day. Perhaps a deep metallic candy red or blue...or after seeing so many amazing fades like on your bike, I am very tempted.

Last edited by Black Dog; 05-05-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Hey Daryl, you mentioned that bike to me awhile back, this is the first time I've seen it. You didn't exaggerate, that is a beauty.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:

HOt. I want that bike.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
Hey Daryl, you mentioned that bike to me awhile back, this is the first time I've seen it. You didn't exaggerate, that is a beauty.
Hey Bob, it is still not as pretty as that blue one that you sold!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Pulled fork sc54 2817. That is the only numbers on the frame. There are several big serotta s stamped all over the frame and fork. Brev campagnolo stamped on all dropouts. S stamped on top of brake bridge. When I get bike back together I will take a few pics and see if I can figure out how to post on here. Does that number make sense to anyone? I downloaded the 91 year catalog but it was too fuzzy for me to read.
Mine is SC54 2691 and is a confirmed 1991.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Mine is SC54 2691 and is a confirmed 1991.
Does yours have the serial number on the bottom bracket?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Hey Bob, it is still not as pretty as that blue one that you sold!

It went back to the original owner EDL, part of the deal we had when I purchased it. I sent him a couple of PMs since then but I never heard back.
I wish I still had it but won't have room to store bikes since I'll be moving into a nice apartment complex in Petaluma Ca. that allows me to keep 2 bikes and can leave a bike or two in "Frisco" with friend and family.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Does yours have the serial number on the bottom bracket?
It does.