Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
We have gotten so soft on crime it's ridiculous. At what point do we reverse this trend?
Quote:
You really don't want my thoughts on solving a good bit of our criminal problems. Most would cringe at how I feel I'm sure.
The country with the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world is "soft on crime"?

I am genuinely curious about your (or anyone else's) thoughts on criminal justice, if you care to share them. I'm sure we can find, as Matt Tuck says, a happy medium between casual indifference and dismemberment.

Last edited by Jaybee; 12-18-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Soft on crime? Tell that to a guy who's doing 10-30 years for a bag of weed.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
You really don't want my thoughts on solving a good bit of our criminal problems. Most would cringe at how I feel I'm sure.
I think I'd probably agree with you.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
The country with the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world is "soft on crime"?

I am genuinely curious about your (or anyone else's) thoughts on criminal justice, if you care to share them. I'm sure we can find, as Matt Tuck says, a happy medium between casual indifference and dismemberment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Soft on crime? Tell that to a guy who's doing 10-30 years for a bag of weed.
Locking up Our Own might be interesting to you.

I'd say there are some systemic challenges to the criminal justice system working optimally. And there isn't one lever that you can simply pull to make things better.

That said, we tried prohibition of alcohol once. It was largely an exercise in futility, and if anything it gave rise to more organized crime. Since we can't learn our lessons, we decided to try it again on drugs -- with the same predictable result.

theft is different though, because that is depriving another person of their property. If authorities turn a blind eye to such behavior, and it becomes normalized, it is a slippery slope to strong people taking things from weak people. This is why property rights go hand in hand with liberty.

I think as a culture, we've done a poor job of utilizing our criminal justice system for the 4 main roles of such a system: Punishment for past crime, Deterrence against future crime, Separation of dangerous individuals from the rest of society, and Rehabilitation of offenders.

It feels like we need a rebalancing of these priorities, and a resulting rebalancing of the sentences handed out. The current system doesn't seem to be in anyone's interest, except maybe the prison system and (to a lesser extent) law enforcement.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Locking up Our Own might be interesting to you.

I'd say there are some systemic challenges to the criminal justice system working optimally. And there isn't one lever that you can simply pull to make things better.

That said, we tried prohibition of alcohol once. It was largely an exercise in futility, and if anything it gave rise to more organized crime. Since we can't learn our lessons, we decided to try it again on drugs -- with the same predictable result.

theft is different though, because that is depriving another person of their property. If authorities turn a blind eye to such behavior, and it becomes normalized, it is a slippery slope to strong people taking things from weak people. This is why property rights go hand in hand with liberty.

I think as a culture, we've done a poor job of utilizing our criminal justice system for the 4 main roles of such a system: Punishment for past crime, Deterrence against future crime, Separation of dangerous individuals from the rest of society, and Rehabilitation of offenders.

It feels like we need a rebalancing of these priorities, and a resulting rebalancing of the sentences handed out. The current system doesn't seem to be in anyone's interest, except maybe the prison system and (to a lesser extent) law enforcement.

I bet a good chunk of theft could be solved by just making sure those with very little gets more. Thats the obvious starting point imo. Very little evidence of usa heading that way unfortunately. Dont think deterence is the way to go if the objective is to really bring down crime in most forms.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
. I bet a good chunk of theft could be solved by just making sure those with very little gets more
I notice that these package thieves drive nicer cars than I do.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I notice that these package thieves drive nicer cars than I do.
Yes i was thinking more broadly than the porch pirates
Having money never stopped everyone from stealing. Thats how many gets rich in the first place i guess :/
Old 12-18-2018, 12:22 PM
DELETE ACCNT

would have been so much better with explosive dye packs
Old 12-18-2018, 12:23 PM
That guy..

ha ha.

im not saying we as a society should just accept this as being a norm.

but seriously. porch pirates are honestly so low on the list of things to worry about.

here's a solution. dont order $$$$ items online and have it shipped to your house. these packages can be shipped to your local mail depot. at least where im from.. you can..for free too. heck. even if they made you pat $5 a package. wouldnt you think itd be worth it?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Code of Hammurabi states that thieves be put to death.

Property rights are a central tenant of society. Whatever punishment we have now, it is clearly not enough of a deterrent. In some societies thieves get their hand chopped off.

Maybe we can find a happy medium between dismemberment and casual indifference. Seems like a pretty wide field of possibilities.
Hypothetical here, but what's wrong with taking a finger, or a sliver of a finger? Punishment starts off small and a good remembrance for what happened.

With enough infractions, thieves won't be able to use their hands and will have a harder time stealing.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I bet a good chunk of theft could be solved by just making sure those with very little gets more.
While I don't disagree with the fundamentals, I'd amend the above quote to "I bet a good chunk of theft could be solved by just making sure those with very little get a reasonable chance of getting more".

In other words, not handouts, but real opportunities to be able to work and bring home livable wages (including the availability of training for good work opportunities).
Old 12-18-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
While I don't disagree with the fundamentals, I'd amend the above quote to "I bet a good chunk of theft could be solved by just making sure those with very little get a reasonable chance of getting more".

In other words, not handouts, but real opportunities to be able to work and bring home livable wages (including the availability of training for good work opportunities).

Agreed, a sense of accomplishment is ofc equally important.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:00 PM

I have no sympathy for these people. Moreover, it's funny to watch them get glitter bombed and fart sprayed. I'd love to see this become a regular thing.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

Judging from their cars/houses, the people in this video do not look hard up, even taking into account the likelihood that Bianchi is stolen.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Hypothetical here, but what's wrong with taking a finger, or a sliver of a finger?
What's wrong with it is that it would make us freaking barbarians.

We have a social consensus on reasonable penalties for theft, and a legal system to determine guilt and impose sentences.

Each community can provide additional funding to its local PD, to prioritize the enforcement of these crimes. Or they can continue to enjoy low taxes . . .