Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 12-18-2020, 04:29 PM

Anyone doing 2021 Death Ride here?

I just signed up and will be my first time. Anyone else on here planning to do it? I'm from the bay area, so will be going up and down the east bay hills to train.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
I just signed up and will be my first time. Anyone else on here planning to do it? I'm from the bay area, so will be going up and down the east bay hills to train.
Are you riding today? I might be convinced to do a East Bay Loop at a civilized hour. Waldo and Crankles are much faster in our hood, but I have better stories
Old 12-20-2020, 12:01 PM

Decided to take today off (feeling a slight sore foot flare up which I am self diagnosing as gout).
Old 12-21-2020, 11:16 AM

I haven't done it in several years but when I first got into riding it was a regular on the calendar for me! Beautiful roads and the no cars is pretty nice(hit 66mph down Monitor). My two tips: Start early, even earlier than they announce the start time, it helps with crowds at feed zones and beat the heat of the day on Carson Pass. Second tip, buy/wear a thrift store jacket/hoody at the start and simply donate it at the first feed zone(base of first side up Monitor). This means you're not lugging around a jersey full of your shed layers all day.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:51 PM

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
I haven't done it in several years but when I first got into riding it was a regular on the calendar for me! Beautiful roads and the no cars is pretty nice(hit 66mph down Monitor). My two tips: Start early, even earlier than they announce the start time, it helps with crowds at feed zones and beat the heat of the day on Carson Pass. Second tip, buy/wear a thrift store jacket/hoody at the start and simply donate it at the first feed zone(base of first side up Monitor). This means you're not lugging around a jersey full of your shed layers all day.
Sound advice here. I froze my tail off at the beginning of the ride a few years back.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Question

Didn't the organizers do a name change on this famous ride or am I thinking of a different event?
Old 12-21-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Didn't the organizers do a name change on this famous ride or am I thinking of a different event?
There's an ALS Death Ride in Colorado. That's what I thought this was about at 1st.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 PM

I just can't see this ride happening in July 2021, so would not recommend signing up. This is a ride of thousands with hundreds amassed elbow to elbow at each RS. It is a zoo. Vaccines will not save large scale events like this in CA by then .., at least if I were a betting man that's what I'd wager.

Check out the Alta Alpina Double Century which runs about the same time. About 150 riders instead of 5000, I think they'll be able to pull that one off next year.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:42 AM

AADC is a terrific ride; all 5 passes of DR + 3 more with another 80 miles and 5,000' of climbing.