Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
sweet mercy mr. happy, when did you get that? that is STELLAR. color combo looks somewhat familiar too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Happy, if you didn't exist, we'd have to invent you. I have a soft spot for a couple of other bikes of yours, but I think that one is the creme de la creme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbecman View Post
I must agree, that is one beautious bicycle.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkywizard View Post
that is simply put...perfect!
need I point out the cherry on top? that's a six ben RSL stem...

as mel brooks once said in History of the World, part 1: "it's good to be the king"
Old 06-27-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy man
Weren't all Legends custom at that time? I remember spending a lot of energy asking the bike shop to simply convert a stock 57cm Csi to a Legend Ti.

I've wondered about this, as some of the later catalogs don't have any stock geo charts. Seems to me they would have had to send some floor models to dealers and that those would have been stock geo. By that I mean built to pretty much they same dimensions as they had been in previous years.

Anyone have a mid 2000s Legend with a serial number that starts with TI instead of CTI - or one that's 57 x 57 and 73 x 73.5 and starts with CTI? Could have been tagged as customs and still built to the old stock geo. My guess is they built frames with the stock geo, but may not have advertised the fact.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:11 AM
Senior Shmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I've wondered about this, as some of the later catalogs don't have any stock geo charts. Seems to me they would have had to send some floor models to dealers and that those would have been stock geo. By that I mean built to pretty much they same dimensions as they had been in previous years.

Anyone have a mid 2000s Legend with a serial number that starts with TI instead of CTI - or one that's 57 x 57 and 73 x 73.5 and starts with CTI? Could have been tagged as customs and still built to the old stock geo. My guess is they built frames with the stock geo, but may not have advertised the fact.
There may not be many stock frames from 1999 on. When I shopped for a Serotta in 1999 I was told by three dealers that they were all custom. You couldn't walk in to a dealer and find a good selection. Only very Large dealers could afford to order "stock" bikes which would be then be made custom for the dealer. The few examples that I saw at dealers then were customers frames waiting to be picked up or the odd display sample that was not my size. I agree it would be interesting to see one of those.

VF
Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 AM

Per Mr. HappyC's request, here's the S/N from my sloppy second Ottrott.

And here's a gratuitous pic from this morning's ride. Facial expression of pain duly kept out of photo....

Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 AM

So the reason for asking 54ny77 to post the serial number is that that Ottrott was a dealer demo from 2006-7. The "O" is for "Ottrott" (no longer "Legend Integrated") and there's no "C," since it wasn't custom.

Another detail that is partially visible is the milling of the bottom bracket shell, which is characteristic of Legends and Ottrotts of that period.

P.S. That bike has a magic carpet ride. Ride it in good health!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryfactory View Post
There may not be many stock frames from 1999 on. When I shopped for a Serotta in 1999 I was told by three dealers that they were all custom. You couldn't walk in to a dealer and find a good selection. Only very Large dealers could afford to order "stock" bikes which would be then be made custom for the dealer. The few examples that I saw at dealers then were customers frames waiting to be picked up or the odd display sample that was not my size. I agree it would be interesting to see one of those.

VF
This makes sense, but are you sure about the year? If it was 1999, the dealer was mistaken. There's a geo chart in the 2000 catalog, but not in the 2001.

54ny77's pic of the Ottrott and happy's explanation seem to indicate there were still some stock sized frames still being made near the end of this serial number system. Thanks for that info. Also, I think some of the lower models such as the Heritage series may have only been available in stock geo. I realize the discussion was about the top of the range, not the bottom.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Senior Shmoozer

The dealers I visited in '99 were basically saying "We aren't keeping any stock Serottas, if you want one, we will order it for you and since custom is not an up charge, you might as well go custom. What they may have really been thinking is "I could put three cannondales in stock for the price of one Serotta which the dentists can order custom anyway" Two dealers at the time also told me if I ordered the bike, they would refund the fitting fee. What this really says to me in hind site is this is about the point when the factory (and the dealers) began to move away from stock and become full custom. The rest is history.
VF

Last edited by victoryfactory; 06-28-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Serotta Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryfactory View Post
I took delivery of my Legend in the late summer of 2003. (no milling on HT)
Ser# CTI 52 4958
Yours must be Fall of 2003 no?

VF
I think that about nails it. Thanks everyone. This forum is great!
Old 01-25-2024, 10:36 AM
Serotta Dentist

Well, nine years ago everyone helped me date my Legend Ti by narrowing down its serial number. I'm back again with the same request. I just took possession of another Legend Ti. Its serial number is CTI 62 4162. That seems to put it in the 2002 range, but it has an F1 fork and a 1" head tube. I thought 2001 was the last year for the F1.

If anyone has a serial number close to mine and knows the date of their Legend, please let me know. I'll post pictures when I get it built up.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:55 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Yall need a spreadsheet that where you can enter the serial number and date of purchase. Then you can see the sequence and timing of them all.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:46 AM

There was no upcharge for custom vs. stock Legends when I got mine but mine was a stock and wonderful 60cm.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocobiking View Post
Well, nine years ago everyone helped me date my Legend Ti by narrowing down its serial number. I'm back again with the same request. I just took possession of another Legend Ti. Its serial number is CTI 62 4162. That seems to put it in the 2002 range, but it has an F1 fork and a 1" head tube. I thought 2001 was the last year for the F1.

If anyone has a serial number close to mine and knows the date of their Legend, please let me know. I'll post pictures when I get it built up.
Did you buy that red and white one that was on Boulder Craigslist (and shown in the Classifieds-GoodDeals/BarnFinds)?

Last edited by tv_vt; 01-26-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:30 AM

Mine is "C LS 54 720". I'm pretty surer it is from 2012-2013. It was equipped originally with DA 9000 group which was introduced in the summer of 2012. The NY plant closed in the summer of 2013. Mine is a 54 "long" -- the seat tube is 54 but the top tube is 56 -- and it was custom built for the original owner.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:08 AM
Serotta Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Did you buy that red and white one that was on Boulder Craigslist (and shown in the Classifieds-GoodDeals/BarnFinds)?
It was this one on ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main pic.jpg (153.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-26-2024, 11:31 AM

Oh yeah, saw that one. Nice looking bike. Definitely has the F1 fork on it.