Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Please check a friend’s bike today......

Short story my wife asked me to wash her ride around the neighborhood bike. Being well trained I went to move it from garage and when I picked it up noticed a click. Thought is was the headset but no...looked at quick release and it was fully open with front wheel held on by lawyer tabs only....

Truly lucky as she says that the bike was making a noise ‘Last few rides’.

Should have been on my list to check her bike before but now it is

Pay it forward...
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 AM

We run into this all the time at the shop; people not knowing how to operate their quick release skewers properly. Those lawyer tabs are great for this reason.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:25 PM

Saw a couple yesterday, the girl had just the pad holders in the rear brake calipers, rubber was gonzo. U have no idea the noise that was making at the time to stop.

BF in a 6K bike... told him.... dude super calm looked at the calipers and said "they can be swapped"... and they left... I think the sucker did not know at all and probably he did not want to feel more stupid. In a real emergency that girl was going to be really bad problems.

Same ride yesterday... another one but with an a better bike than the other one... nasty noise coming from the rear... told him in a light, dude you have the dork wheel broken... the what??? the dork wheel is broken, cant u hear it??? .. he got off the bike to look, i left and since was the end of the road i thought the guy was going to show up a few minutes later, he never showed up. Think he called a taxi or something or went back home right there instead to getting to the end of the road (half a mile down). Was funny tho...

THis year aswell, dude in a mtb, nasty noise... was riding with a rear hub split in a half... then he said.. no wonder i feel the rear a little bit spongy and making too much noise.

Some just dont care... or the things really dont click in their head.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 07-05-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:12 PM

i'll ask...
what's a "dork wheel"?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Is that like sending him looking for keys to the batter’s box or striped paint?

He walks into his LBS and says “I think my dork wheel is broken!”

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:23 PM

I went on a walk with the family yesterday and a young kid went past us with his front v brake disconnected. I’m not sure if it was an accident or if his parents did it intentionally due to unwarranted fears of front brake use.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:36 PM

My guess is that the wheel was out of true, solution: release brake.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I didn’t think of that. Seems probable on an entry level bike with v brakes. Not the best wheels with minimal pad/rim clearance.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-05-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I didn’t think of that. Seems probable on an entry level bike with v brakes. Not the best wheels with minimal pad/rim clearance.
This. I see this "quick fix" all the time, even on a co-worker's commuter. He didn't want any help fixing it, either
Old 07-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Randomhead

Only time i ever stopped another rider was to adjust his quick release. It was actually working okay, but it was about 1/3 undone, so I figured it could let loose at any time

I recently bought some through axle dropouts and the only option for the skewer required a hex wrench. I'm okay with that
Old 07-05-2020, 02:31 PM
The B!

i can remember jamming west-to-east across the saint johns bridge in portland, hauling bauls racing traffic.. came to the first expansion joint and gave it my usual enthusiastic bunny hop at around 30+ mph and heard/felt CLACK as i came back down on the pavement.. yup, front wheel wasnt tensioned.

and im in the habit of shaving my lawyer lips off, for faster wheel swaps .. dont actually recall if the anecdoted bike had 'em lips still on or not.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:38 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
i'll ask...
what's a "dork wheel"?
the dork disk (aka pie plate, pizza pan, dork plate, spoke dish) is the plastic spoke protector that sits behind the cassette....they come on all new bikes along with reflectors.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:01 PM

I once went for a ride with a friends Dad, who was a regular, but casual rider for years. We met at another person’s house and I took his bike off the car for him and noticed about 1 cm of play in the headset. “You notice any shimmy or weird handling on the bike?” “Not much”.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Seen that headset lose thing often aswell. One guy asked me in a stop like 2 months ago (forgot about that one), he knew something was wrong but did not know what was the problem, this dude was sharp tho... not long explanation he figured it really quick how to even fix it (he was not a bike guy).

He put a a new stem and the new stem stack was lower so he run out of spacers, the headset needed maybe an extra 5 mm headset to work fine.

The other one is the usual kid with this 24' mtb and the fork is backwards they cant turn, they can brake either because the cables arent connected

The next one is the helmet set up pretty much in the back of the neck.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Administrator

I remember our pal BumblebeeDave had a nasty wreck some time ago due to just this reason, front QR not tightened. It's always stuck in my mind since then as something to double check.