Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 12:45 PM

What's your favorite ride outside DC?

I'll be spending a week in the DC area and have some time to explore. I've done the usual rides around the Potomac River and am looking for something within 2 hours by car.

40-80 miles with less than 4k of elevation gain would hit the spot. The more scenic and twisty the better!
Old 06-27-2020, 01:44 PM

I like the Catoctins, just an hour from DC by car, though the climbing into them may be steeper then you are looking for. You should be able to cobble something together from the maps and cue sheets for either the Civil War Century or the Frederick Gran Fondo. The Civil War Century with the "bailout" option at 64 miles might meet your criteria; it does have a long curvy descent back to Thurmont. One word of caution is that there are "very" limited water/food stops in the park and small towns, so plan accordingly.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:06 PM

Check out Potomac Pedalers cue sheet library. Many great rides. Antetium Scout is a great ride. Some climbing but wonderful scenery. Other ride to check out is Twice Across the River which goes into VA. Rides from Marshall, VA are also very nice. So many choices.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:19 PM

Elizabeth Furnace, in the GW National park in Shenandoah
Old 06-27-2020, 02:20 PM

Don't have a specific route to share but for something outside the box look east instead of west. There are dandy routes toward the Bay in lower Anne Arundel, Calvert, and Charles Counties. Definitely not flat but not too hilly either. I used to live in Beltsville and had some dandy loops in my brain toward Galesville, North Beach, and Prince Frederick.

Can be a bit of an adventure to escape on that side of the city though by bike as no equivalent of the W&OD, Macarthur Blvd, etc. For rides toward lower Anne Arundel the Park-Ride at the US-50/Davidson Road interchange is a popular starting spot.

Even farther outside the box is riding north of Baltimore in Harford + Baltimore Counties toward southern PA. Was mentioned in another thread this week. Really beautiful and the hills are short but relentless and surprisingly steep.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeclips View Post
Elizabeth Furnace, in the GW National park in Shenandoah
For a cue for this one, search for "SkyMass" (for Skyline Drive + Massanutten Mtn). Is a DC road ride classic.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:29 PM

Mt. Weather

I've done this ride many, many times - usually starting from Middleburg.
Depending on your way back, 45-50 miles, with a nice climb to the top of Mt. Weather (a shade under 2000', which is about 1500 feet above the general height of land down near Middleburg). For me, this racks out to about 3500-4000 feet of climbing for the loop. On the way back into Middleburg, there are some great options to string together combinations of paved and gravel roads too. Although you can do this 100% on gravel. If you add the southern spur to include Naked Mtn., that is another nice little kicker before you work your way back up to Middleburg. Have fun! That area has some of my favorite rides/roads ever.

m_b
Old 06-27-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
For rides toward lower Anne Arundel the Park-Ride at the US-50/Davidson Road interchange is a popular starting spot.
+1

But it's Davidsonville Road, aka Route 424.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:56 PM

What's your favorite ride outside DC?

If you don’t need to drive, can ride from DC out to Sugarloaf Mountain. The surrounding rural roads out there are pretty nice as well. Can easily meet your distance and elevation requirements.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
+1

But it's Davidsonville Road, aka Route 424.
You don't want to park at the Park and Ride. Too many break ins. Southern High School is a safer ride start location.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
You don't want to park at the Park and Ride. Too many break ins. Southern High School is a safer ride start location.
Or South River High.

From Southern you can go down Route 2/4.

From South River you can go down Route 2/4 or Muddy Creek Road.

Well, OK, you can cut over from 2/4 to Muddy Creek, or back the other way. No biggie if you're near the schools (sorta near 214).

Good shoulders either way.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:20 PM

Further north of DC

[QUOTE

Even farther outside the box is riding north of Baltimore in Harford + Baltimore Counties toward southern PA. Was mentioned in another thread this week. Really beautiful and the hills are short but relentless and surprisingly steep.[/QUOTE]

< This. If you are interested in rides 1+ hour north of DC (i.e. starting a bit north of Baltimore) the terrain heading up towards southern PA is all up and down and twisty, often lightly traveled roads - happy to provide local color if needed
Old 06-27-2020, 04:28 PM

I moved to the DC area just over a year ago and am still exploring routes. Living in Bethesda, I tend to ride to the west and north towards Potomac, MD. Here is a ride on some nice quiet roads with generally good pavement: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33165802

Starting point is Darnestown, but I could start from home if I wanted a longer ride. Around mile 15 you can see Sugarloaf, and if you wanted to climb it turn left at Comus Rd. From what I understand, homesick Brazilians in the area gave it that name because it reminded them so much of Rio.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:39 PM

About 50min out, basically flat, quiet roads. 55miles.https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23421514 There are stores, but I never trust that they are where you want them, so I carry enough to get me through. If you search "Indian Head, MD", there are several variations of this at different lengths.
If you want hilly, The Blue Ridger is a local staple. Out of Marshall park & ride. About 1.5 hrs from DC, barring traffic (IOW, on Sunday mornings)

Last edited by makoti; 06-27-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:47 PM

I like anything out of Frederick or Thurmont. Head up towards and around Wolfesville, Myersville, Boonesboro (Antietem), Middleburg, Catoctin Furnace. Climbs not too bad in that neck of the woods - nice riding. There are lots of published rides available.