Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 AM
v a n i l l a

Mini-pump shoot out: TL::DR I'm back to CO2

I've got a Silca Premio seat roll that has a tube, patches/glue, glueless patches and two CO2 cartridges. I use a Blackburn Airstik SL to pre-inflate the tube (I was never good at blowing up balloons and even worse at blowing up a tube with my mouth.)

I got to thinking maybe a newer mini-pump could stand alone in case I gaffe both CO2. So I tried a few. I know people have and love these mini-pumps but they just didn't work for me.

Garage tested sitting on a stool with a C15 shamal and open pave 700x24. I was hoping one of these could hit 90 psi. Below are the max psi I could get in lab conditions after considerable effort

1) silca pocket impero. 65psi. I had my hand over the valve and the rim yet I still managed to tear the valve/tube interface even though I was careful trying not to.
2) blackburn core slim (new for 2019) 80psi
3) lezyne road drive small 70psi
4) lezyne road drive medium 75psi

What's puzzling to me is these advertise over 100psi capability but I am getting no where near that. and for sure if I am in the field in the rain on the side of the road I get less than what I get in my garage.

I dont want to carry a full size frame pump so I'm back to CO2 and my cell phone.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Tired Member

FYI, I've had good results with the Bontrager Air Support HP
Old 10-07-2019, 12:22 PM
That guy..

the tattico looks like a good option.
or is that too large.

i like the hose and valve lock. unlike lezynes valve core remover :P
Old 10-07-2019, 12:38 PM

Yeah, I pretty much still try to carry a full size frame pump on top of Co2. Fortunately most of my 30 bikes are vintage steel and equipped with pump pegs so it's not a problem. I've got maybe 3 or 4 with number tab hangers tha take a bit of creativity.

Every mini pump I've tried has let me down.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 PM

I can typically get 75psi into a tire with a 25mm road rim. I was surprised that I got 95psi on a narrow rim recently. This is with the smallest Lezyne pressure drive. The hose is a necessity IMO. Agreed that it's an annoyance, but one that happens infrequently. I'd rather ride 10psi low than have my co2 blow out by accident somewhere.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Paul, just ride tubulars. With the conditions of East Bay and Penninsula roads, you'll flat once every 10 years.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:59 PM

I've tried a number of different mini hand pumps, and they all take a significant amount of time and effort to get up to high pressure. This is primarily a limitation if the design: Because they are typically short, they can only have a short stroke, limiting stroke volume (increasing the number of strokes required); because they require holding both ends of the pump to compress it, they become more taxing on the muscles to use, and increasing cylinder diameter (to decrease strokes) results in higher forces to be used. Unfortunately, these laws of physics can not be avoided.

But, there is a style of pump that can be easy and fast to use, and these are mini floor pumps. These pumps are similar to mini hand pumps, but they incorporate a foot peg and foldable handle, so that they can be used like a floor pump. Like a standard floor pump, these pumps allow a user to use their body weight on the pump - this makes it easier to reach high pressures, and can allow larger cylinder diameters to decrease the number of strokes required. The down side of these pumps is that that they are usually larger and heavier than hand pumps. But they work much better than hand pumps.

Mini floor pumps are made by several companies, include Bontrager and Topeak:

Old 10-07-2019, 01:20 PM

I've had a bunch of mini pumps including several Lezyne. I'm currently using a Tattico and think that is the best current option. I also have the topeak pump listed above. It works really well, but is big, heavy, and ugly. I prefer a full size frame pump to the Topeak if I am going that big.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

I just bought a silca tattico bluetooth. It was on sale because was a demo or something. It was DOA, working with silca to maybe replace. I had to say though, the way it attaches to the bike is very nice and it pumped the tire decently. No match for a frame pump but I liked it, maybe I get the non BT tattico.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Not sure why but the innovations second wind never seemed to gain popularity even tho it solves many of these issues.
Pre inflate to shape the tube? use the pump mode
Inflate to max pressure ? use the co2 cartridge
Run out of co2, multiple flats? Use the pump

Also cheap, durable, and disappears next to the bottle cage
I keep my cartridge(s) in the saddle bag
https://www.amazon.com/Innovations-S.../dp/B07CRSQNQ6
Old 10-07-2019, 01:53 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I

1) silca pocket impero. 65psi. I had my hand over the valve and the rim yet I still managed to tear the valve/tube interface even though I was careful trying not to.
2) blackburn core slim (new for 2019) 80psi
3) lezyne road drive small 70psi
4) lezyne road drive medium 75psi
I've had this happen. Seems like someone could invent something that involves a velcro strap and a stabilizing block to help avoid this. I have a hose based lezyne, which largely avoids this issue, but the lateral forces when you're trying to quickly pump up a tube, even with a hose based pump are still there. It's a very unstable system.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Back when I raced track I regularly used the topeak pocket rocket to pump to 110-120 psi (verified on meiser gauge).
Old 10-07-2019, 01:58 PM

The Blackburn core slim gets my vote. It includes a valve core tool so you can ensure a tight fit before engaging the hose.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:59 PM

frame pump for the win.

bonus: it forces you to only buy bikes of relatively classic design (no swoopy looking top tubes ).
Old 10-07-2019, 02:27 PM
aka RAEKWON

I rock a frame pump on 2 of my swoop tube bikes.