Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
First time I saw a Pegoretti, i knew nothing of it and thought good grief that paint, what is that mess?

Over time, I came to really appreciate everything about them, since I learned from whom and where they came. A beautiful history behind the brand. Never to be replicated in this era, sadly.

They truly are works of functional art, and it's on the bucket list one of these days, a nice used version that was infused with the master's touch.

This is a great quote:

"But making a frame-a static piece of physical art-is different than making the dynamic, kinetic vehicle called a bicycle, says Richard. “It can be beautiful, but what do you know about morphology, or descending, going around a corner, the technical aspects of frame design?”

Dario had all of that. And more: Aside from his talent with a torch or a paint gun, and his mastery of fit and geometry, the Falz carbon-fiber fork on his bikes is his own design. Cycling has master framebuilders, like Sachs, and virtuoso painters, like Joe Bell, and great designers, like Specialized’s creative director, Robert Egger. Some, like the builder-painter Tom Kellogg, and builder-designers Ross Shafer and Tom Ritchey, manage to excel in more than one area. But no one put it all together quite like Dario. That’s what the officina-the Pegoretti workshop and its surviving members-must replace."

source - The Pegoretti Responsorium Is a Masterpiece
Old 07-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
I think he was noting the irony and sadness in also being a vulture himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what I got out of it too. It’s an honest read and I love how the captions juxtapose the body.

We’re all narcissistic a-holes, just to varying degrees.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:56 AM

There is one aspect of Dario which is never mentioned: the lack of pretention. Everybody talks about him as an "artist" and his bikes as "art" on 2 wheels while DP knew much better than that. He knew there was difference in nature between his frames and a Rothko or Jean Arp paint, a song by Caetano Veloso or Miles Davis. He didn´t parade himself as a pompous artist, He infused his production of bicyle masterpieces w/ information from painting, music, poetry and politics... He felt the need to be part of the big universe rather than stay as a semigod in the guetto of bike obsessed nerdship. He risked himself to be misunderstood. He was himself and that´s all he wanted to be... free. That is his lesson.

Last edited by colker; 07-13-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:12 AM
needs adult supervision

Very true. No one took the piss out of Dario more than he did to himself.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Very true. No one took the piss out of Dario more than he did to himself.
And that´s the sign of intelligence.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
There is one aspect of Dario which is never mentioned: the lack of pretention. Everybody talks about him as an "artist" and his bikes as "art" on 2 wheels while DP knew much better than that. He knew there was difference in nature between his frames and a Rothko or Jean Arp paint, a song by Caetano Veloso or Miles Davis. He didn´t parade himself as a pompous artist, He infused his production of bicyle masterpieces w/ information from painting, music, poetry and politics... He felt the need to be part of the big universe rather than stay as a semigod in the guetto of bike obsessed nerdship. He risked himself to be misunderstood. He was himself and that´s all he wanted to be... free. That is his lesson.
Nice writing, Colker!
Old 07-13-2019, 02:55 PM

It feels sad for those who pass but whose spirits may remain, still sensing and observant, that so many who preach, “Rest In Peace!” the loudest then corrupt that purported desire by claiming “special privilege” also the loudest.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:31 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
It feels sad for those who pass but whose spirits may remain, still sensing and observant, that so many who preach, “Rest In Peace!” the loudest then corrupt that purported desire by claiming “special privilege” also the loudest.
Are you saying the related text is an example of this, or is there something else that prompted the comment?
Old 07-13-2019, 04:19 PM
cheap lager!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
won't sell to the "f*cking vultures".....but "save one for me though" because I'm different......such a ridiculous statement.
While I was bitching about these ****ing vultures and mourning in my own way the death of a man who had meant so much to me- I also begged Nelson and Giorgio from GITA to hold a 57cm Duende in the Guantanamo paint scheme for me. Somehow, the fact that I didn’t own a Pegoretti of my own was different. I wanted part of my friend and part of my hero and part of that whole romantic secret crazy passionate absurd history of Pegoretti race bikes back and to be mine. Mourning is never about the dead- it’s about those left behind. It’s always about the vultures and vultures need to eat too. Vultures are ok and need time to mourn too.

Y'all should practice some reading comprehension, hun. The boy's pretty clear about calling himself a vulture too and noting how death and grieving becomes pretty selfish and personal. I liked it!
Old 07-13-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
While I was bitching about these ****ing vultures and mourning in my own way the death of a man who had meant so much to me- I also begged Nelson and Giorgio from GITA to hold a 57cm Duende in the Guantanamo paint scheme for me. Somehow, the fact that I didn’t own a Pegoretti of my own was different. I wanted part of my friend and part of my hero and part of that whole romantic secret crazy passionate absurd history of Pegoretti race bikes back and to be mine. Mourning is never about the dead- it’s about those left behind. It’s always about the vultures and vultures need to eat too. Vultures are ok and need time to mourn too.

Y'all should practice some reading comprehension, hun. The boy's pretty clear about calling himself a vulture too and noting how death and grieving becomes pretty selfish and personal. I liked it!
It´s good writting: passionate while being the opposite of sentimental.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 PM
imho this is mp bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I would never call potential customers "f-king vultures" because they wanted to own a bike Dario had built.
Hi All!

Thanks for the kind words. We're going to try to share more about what we're doing at the shop and what's going on in the bike world from our little vantage point. We're a little shop- we can't be or do everything and want folks to know why we're doing what we're doing especially when it comes to the folks we partner with.

I think some of you might have taken what I wrote concerning "vultures" in a way I did not intend at all. I thought I was being pretty clear in calling out my own ignorant, selfish, and most of all blatantly hypocritical response to folks who were looking JUST LIKE ME to connect, posses, process, own, experience, etc. Pegoretti now that he was gone and so too might those opportunities be.

Guys- I was as offended in retrospect at my sentiments and actions as some of you were. what i hoped i was conveying is the complexity and often overwhelming and irrational feelings that come about in me and i think most folks when we're suffering..especially suffering a loss. it's a natural defense for me to get selfish- even to feel personally "wronged" when things happen that hurt.

Anway- I hope that for the most part my sentiments came across as I intended. It bugs me to high hell to think that folks read this piece and didn't understand that I was recognizing the hypocrisy in my feelings and the fact that maybe the feelings I had and the feelings that those folks who called looking for a Pegoretti had- were absolutely and completely ok. Maybe our feelings our ok and we don't need to abide by any perceived sense of decorum or rules when it comes to feelings- I know my pal Dario didn't.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk View Post
Hi All!

Thanks for the kind words. We're going to try to share more about what we're doing at the shop and what's going on in the bike world from our little vantage point. We're a little shop- we can't be or do everything and want folks to know why we're doing what we're doing especially when it comes to the folks we partner with.

I think some of you might have taken what I wrote concerning "vultures" in a way I did not intend at all. I thought I was being pretty clear in calling out my own ignorant, selfish, and most of all blatantly hypocritical response to folks who were looking JUST LIKE ME to connect, posses, process, own, experience, etc. Pegoretti now that he was gone and so too might those opportunities be.

Guys- I was as offended in retrospect at my sentiments and actions as some of you were. what i hoped i was conveying is the complexity and often overwhelming and irrational feelings that come about in me and i think most folks when we're suffering..especially suffering a loss. it's a natural defense for me to get selfish- even to feel personally "wronged" when things happen that hurt.

Anway- I hope that for the most part my sentiments came across as I intended. It bugs me to high hell to think that folks read this piece and didn't understand that I was recognizing the hypocrisy in my feelings and the fact that maybe the feelings I had and the feelings that those folks who called looking for a Pegoretti had- were absolutely and completely ok. Maybe our feelings our ok and we don't need to abide by any perceived sense of decorum or rules when it comes to feelings- I know my pal Dario didn't.
Thought it was a well-written piece - and feel the same about what you just said..

Look forward to reading more of whatever you see fit to out there for us vultures to scavenge..

har har --- -- too soon?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Craig,

I thought it was an honest and well-written piece that conveyed your conflicted feelings. Although you used the word hypocrisy, I draw a distinction between anyone that was an admirer of Dario's work and wanted to own a frame that he built and someone trying to flip a Silca pump on ebay for a 10x profit. IMHO, the latter is a vulture and the former is a friend of the marque.

Scarcity creates demand and it's understandable that there would be a heightened interest in his frames after his passing. We're all human.

I hope the guys in the workshop can make a go of it, as a dealer I'd be interested to read your thoughts on the current status of the brand.

Last edited by JasonF; 07-13-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 PM

I thought that your intention was realized completely clearly and that the piece you wrote was a wonderful read. The piece e-Richie linked adds more to the story and I was happy to learn that the folks who are building the marque are in large part the people who were doing much of the work while Dario was at the helm (which makes sense, given the number of bikes produced.) The realization that ordering a Ciavete finish today is still possible makes me happy despite the fact that it's very unlikely that I'll personally do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk View Post
Hi All!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:03 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
<cut> the folks who are building the marque are in large part the people who were doing much of the work while Dario was at the helm (which makes sense, given the number of bikes produced.)
The salient point in Lindsay's article ^ .

ps

arrange disorder