Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 11:23 AM

apparently he won..

this is his WiTb from GolfWRX.com

I doubt he plays all his irons @ 7iron length. If his irons where all the same length they would not sit in the bag the way they do.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
In professional sports, tennis is probably the most demanding physically, as you use your entire body, demanding pivots and stops, endurance and high skill level.
I'm going to disagree. Tennis is moderately demanding, but I think there are many professional sports that are far more demanding. American football would be a prime example.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I'm going to disagree. Tennis is moderately demanding, but I think there are many professional sports that are far more demanding. American football would be a prime example.
Physically ruinous long-term, sure. But in the moment? Tennis is hard to beat in terms of sheer athletic demands.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Well, we’re really venturing astray here, but you got the “football” part of it right. Don’t see too many pudgy European footballers. Tennis is also high up there.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Well, we’re really venturing astray here, but you got the “football” part of it right. Don’t see too many pudgy European footballers. Tennis is also high up there.
Yes, I think fútbol is also more demanding than tennis. But, since most participants in this forum are Americans, I went with something familiar.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think fútbol is also more demanding than tennis. But, since most participants in this forum are Americans, I went with something familiar.
I think you are mixing two aspects of professional sports- skill set, and physical set. Sports such as track and field, cross country skiing, and evening swimming are such that you really can compete at the top level for a short period of time before becoming uncompetitive. They are physically demanding.

Skill sports tennis, baseball, futbol, American football quarterback where you need to be both physically gifted plus have a skill set developed over time you can survive for longer.

American Football running backs are probably the most demanding position in sport. You have an average career of 2.5 yrs. You are essentially a sports car involved in 20 car crashes a game with trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0tXisw8Dp8

who can forget the Iowa Football player smacking the pickup on his scooter.

Watch how long it takes his flip flop to land
Old 07-06-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I think you are mixing two aspects of professional sports- skill set and physical set.
Nope, only commenting on the statement that tennis is the most physically demanding sport.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:51 PM

Yesterday they showed Bryson DeChambeau and Chris Kirk in a split screen hitting drivers. BD had hit the ball before Kirk got to the top of his backswing.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Remember Playboy magazine? Many decades ago there was an article (I swear I read the articles!) which sought to decide which sport was the toughest. Dare I recall, I think pro cycling was a contender.

The winner-boxing. I was disappointed cycling didn't win, but I had to agree.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Any sport in which you have substitutes is an argument against the sport being the most demanding. Also, having a game clock vs an open-ended game/match means endurance is a key factor. Events like tennis and cycling require consecutive days of activity, instead of weekly or bi-weekly.

I'm not sure how football is more demanding than other sports - there's an average of 11 minutes of action in a typical game. It's demanding when there is action. But there's a lot of down time - separate teams for offense and defense means players may be on the sidelines for several minutes, and substitution is frequent. And games are generally once a week (unless the team has a Thursday night game) and it has the shortest season of any major sport (from mini-camp in Aug to first week in February).
Old 07-06-2020, 08:22 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Also, having a game clock vs an open-ended game/match means endurance is a key factor.
I knew it - it's BASEBALL !!!

Actually, when it comes to skill, baseball is pretty high up there (batting especially, but pitching ain't terribly easy either) but in terms of demands on your body, certainly not the highest, except for the pitchers' arms.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
... having a game clock vs an open-ended game/match means endurance is a key factor.
The vast majority of professional tennis matches are best-of-3 sets, and last an average of 90 minutes. Endurance isn't a big factor in those matches.

Quote:
Events like tennis and cycling require consecutive days of activity, instead of weekly or bi-weekly.
Half the players in a tennis draw are eliminated in the first round, and have (at least) a week off before their next match.

Quote:
I'm not sure how football is more demanding than other sports - there's an average of 11 minutes of action in a typical game. It's demanding when there is action. But there's a lot of down time - separate teams for offense and defense means players may be on the sidelines for several minutes, and substitution is frequent.
There's also a lot of down time in tennis. The average tennis point consists of 4 shots per player and lasts 10 seconds. There is 20 seconds between points and 90 seconds rest during changeovers. Overall, the duty cycle is only about 17%.

The physical demands of football are clearly not limited to endurance issues. High speed collisions with 250-350 opponents is extremely demanding on the body. There's nothing in tennis that compares to it.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I knew it - it's BASEBALL !!!
Cricket can last ... practically forever.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Cricket can last ... practically forever.
Yeah, but somehow, any sport where you break for tea loses some credibility, at least to my American eye.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
apparently he won..

this is his WiTb from GolfWRX.com

I doubt he plays all his irons @ 7iron length. If his irons where all the same length they would not sit in the bag the way they do.
They are all the same length.

Jeff