Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Is that like sending him looking for keys to the batter’s box or striped paint?

He walks into his LBS and says “I think my dork wheel is broken!”

BK
My daughter once asked a young guy behind the counter at our FLAPS for a can of blinker fluid, synthetic please.

He looked really confused and went off to ask for help.

Not sure he ever came back.

She did it with a straight face...I was so proud of her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blinker fluid poster copy.jpg (27.7 KB, 127 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-06-2020, 01:23 PM

But speaking of laywer tabs and such...

Many years ago I bought a used (team) Motobecane track bike from International Bicycles in Allston. Harold had gotten three road and three track bikes from a team and was selling them.

Despite the fact that the silly thing was too large for me, I snagged a track bike and took it home.

When I took it out of the car, I figured I'd take a quick spin on it to see how it rode. Street shoes, no helmet, gloves, shorts, etc.

I get to the end of my street, turn right and go another 1/4 mile. Then I come to a red light. Stop in the middle of the lane, trying to figure out how to stop on a track bike...

I pick up the front end to move the bike out of the middle of the lane.

Damn front wheel falls out of the fork. Track bolts weren't even finger tight. It was literally just my weight holding the front wheel in the dropouts...

Yea, I check these things. Now.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-06-2020, 02:26 PM
Shifty Member

Remember to check your stuff as is being said here too. I never checked my post or saddle and during one ride 20 years ago or so heard a clink and a clunk. One of my teammates started cracking up and told me not to attempt sitting down because my saddle came loose and rattled off. Even though it was fine, we were unable to find one of the bolts, so I ended up riding the last 15 miles standing the whole way with the saddle in my jersey.

Another time I didn't retighten the front brake QR after putting my wheel back on and didn't have enough stopping power on a downhill curve. Didn't go down, but I did learn exactly how far I could lean my bike over and dig in. I was actually lucky for that curve slowdown because there was a stop sign at the bottom of the hill and had it been straight, I would have not been able to stop.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
i can remember jamming west-to-east across the saint johns bridge in portland, hauling bauls racing traffic.. came to the first expansion joint and gave it my usual enthusiastic bunny hop at around 30+ mph and heard/felt CLACK as i came back down on the pavement.. yup, front wheel wasnt tensioned.

and im in the habit of shaving my lawyer lips off, for faster wheel swaps .. dont actually recall if the anecdoted bike had 'em lips still on or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
But speaking of laywer tabs and such...

Many years ago I bought a used (team) Motobecane track bike from International Bicycles in Allston. Harold had gotten three road and three track bikes from a team and was selling them.

Despite the fact that the silly thing was too large for me, I snagged a track bike and took it home.

When I took it out of the car, I figured I'd take a quick spin on it to see how it rode. Street shoes, no helmet, gloves, shorts, etc.

I get to the end of my street, turn right and go another 1/4 mile. Then I come to a red light. Stop in the middle of the lane, trying to figure out how to stop on a track bike...

I pick up the front end to move the bike out of the middle of the lane.

Damn front wheel falls out of the fork. Track bolts weren't even finger tight. It was literally just my weight holding the front wheel in the dropouts...

Yea, I check these things. Now.
You two should make a YouTube video!

https://youtu.be/uhH9IRRx5ag
Old 07-06-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post

That's crazy!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-06-2020, 04:50 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post

hah! awesome

been workin on my roadbike wheelies lately too
Old 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM

At the end of a ride many years ago, a rider was putting his bike on his roof and I heard his front quick release was loose. He had the kind of rack that left the front wheel on. I asked him to let me adjust it. He blew it off and said he would do it when he took the bike off the roof.
The next week, he went to lift his front wheel over a pothole and his front wheel came off. The forks dug into the pavement and he broke his neck. He spent months in a halo.
Say something. Insist on it.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:06 PM

I once stopped a dude at the top of Montacute here in the Adelaide Hills ( ~ 8km downhill at 14% steepest gradient) and insisted on having a look at the front wheel.

Turns out I was right: the QR was open cammed and less than finger tight. Complete newbie had joined some friends for a ride: she was lucky it had all been uphill and I passed her right at the top of the climb.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:28 AM

Both wheels on my sister's bike had the QRs insufficiently tightened when I went over it this past weekend.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 AM
cmg

I set the rear brake pad holders in the wrong direction and yes, didn't discover it until while braking the pad slips out of the holder. Campy brakes, open ended slots go in the opposite direction of wheel travel. Discovered a niffy trick for getting the pads off quickly. Once i told the group what had happened they made me ride at the front.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Had lunch with a friend of mine a few years ago. She had driven her '95 Audi urS6 (red, for those keeping score) 10 miles, some on the highway, to meet me.

We said goodbye and she drove off. I watched her go...and called her immediately.

Her car had been serviced by a good private mechanic. I guess the junior wrench was tasked with putting the wheels back on and he did...he just didn't tighten the lug bolts. I could see all four wheels wobbling as she drove away, before I stopped her.

She did say that the car felt a bit funny on the highway. Um, yea.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy