Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM

I can't find it in the moment, but in Stewart Brand's book How Buildings Learn he quotes the great architecture critic Herbert Muschamp as saying something to the effect of "if architects regarded their work as craft rather than as art, buildings would be a lot better." Craft means that the object created is functional as well as beautiful, whereas art doesn't have to have a function to perform. When I look at my Firefly or Anderson or Nagasawa, I see great craft on the part of their creators, rather than seeing them as art objects. They are meant to be used and to perform at the highest level for their user. Everything I've read about Pegoretti aligns with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
There is one aspect of Dario which is never mentioned: the lack of pretention. Everybody talks about him as an "artist" and his bikes as "art" on 2 wheels while DP knew much better than that. He knew there was difference in nature between his frames and a Rothko or Jean Arp paint, a song by Caetano Veloso or Miles Davis. He didn´t parade himself as a pompous artist, He infused his production of bicyle masterpieces w/ information from painting, music, poetry and politics... He felt the need to be part of the big universe rather than stay as a semigod in the guetto of bike obsessed nerdship. He risked himself to be misunderstood. He was himself and that´s all he wanted to be... free. That is his lesson.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
There is one aspect of Dario which is never mentioned: the lack of pretention. Everybody talks about him as an "artist" and his bikes as "art" on 2 wheels while DP knew much better than that. He knew there was difference in nature between his frames and a Rothko or Jean Arp paint, a song by Caetano Veloso or Miles Davis. He didn´t parade himself as a pompous artist, He infused his production of bicyle masterpieces w/ information from painting, music, poetry and politics... He felt the need to be part of the big universe rather than stay as a semigod in the guetto of bike obsessed nerdship. He risked himself to be misunderstood. He was himself and that´s all he wanted to be... free. That is his lesson.
FWIW, it seems like a big part of the appeal of the bikes was that Dario was such a neat guy as a person. I don't think I've missed out on anything by not having had a bike he built, but I do feel like I missed something by having never met him and had a change to hang out with him.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
FWIW, it seems like a big part of the appeal of the bikes was that Dario was such a neat guy as a person. I don't think I've missed out on anything by not having had a bike he built, but I do feel like I missed something by having never met him and had a change to hang out with him.
Yes! art> life> movement> art. Dario was moving all the time; between painting, music, art, usa, italy, music. He chose steel for... personal reasons. Isn´t that alchemy? Pegoretti bike means moving w/ Dario. It goes back to the man and his taste: music, art, wine, Usa, Italy etc.. I could go on and on but you already said it better than me. Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:34 PM

I am fortunate enough to own two of his machines - a 2011 Duende and a 2014 Mxxxxxo. They're both incredibly similar yet different, planted and smooth in separate ways and forgiving and sharp at the same time.

I longed for a Peg for years (literally searched for 4 years) before I could find one in my size that I could afford. I longed for a Ciavete; a creation based on a conversation I would have with the creator, the artist, and it would arrive as he chose, as he felt.

Why? Part of it was absolutely his legend. Part of it was understanding how important visual art is, and wanting an original. Part of it was the stories I had heard of those who rode his bikes and whispered reverently about the ride quality. Part of it was knowing that all the greats eventually slip this mortal coil and I wanted to be part of the group that understood ... yeah, I was one of the assholes who lusted after an object in some ways because I knew "it" couldn't last forever ...

Then I rode one.

When I first rode my Mxxxxxo (picked up off the PL classifieds from a great guy, thanks again Hilltopperny) I entered a corner and needed to change my line to avoid a hole and the bike was there almost before my mind was. It felt like it reacted to my thoughts and I felt like it was too much bike for me; that I didn't deserve such a machine. In truth, I felt I wasn't good enough for it, that it didn't deserve me.

But I kept riding it (come on, who woulnd't?) and I came to a personal realization about why I feel Dario was who he was in the world. He built for me. He built for the guy before me and the guy yet to ride one of his creations. It wasn't a concern about who owned it, as long as it was appreciated for what it is, and used for its intended purpose. He built because he wanted us to enjoy the bike, to understand and love everything the bike is and can be, individually and as a collective.

Do I regret not having been able to speak with him, to say thank you? Yes. But every time I swing a leg over one of his creations I am communicating with him. He chose the tubes for a reason, he chose the geometry for a reason.

I truly believe he wanted us to be happy. To just go ride bikes.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:02 PM

I had a chance to have many email conversations with Dario. Once I told him his bike was the one I always reached for first. It was if I had given him the most precious gift....he was so gracious.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
I am fortunate enough to own two of his machines - a 2011 Duende and a 2014 Mxxxxxo. They're both incredibly similar yet different, planted and smooth in separate ways and forgiving and sharp at the same time.

I longed for a Peg for years (literally searched for 4 years) before I could find one in my size that I could afford. I longed for a Ciavete; a creation based on a conversation I would have with the creator, the artist, and it would arrive as he chose, as he felt.

Why? Part of it was absolutely his legend. Part of it was understanding how important visual art is, and wanting an original. Part of it was the stories I had heard of those who rode his bikes and whispered reverently about the ride quality. Part of it was knowing that all the greats eventually slip this mortal coil and I wanted to be part of the group that understood ... yeah, I was one of the assholes who lusted after an object in some ways because I knew "it" couldn't last forever ...

Then I rode one.

When I first rode my Mxxxxxo (picked up off the PL classifieds from a great guy, thanks again Hilltopperny) I entered a corner and needed to change my line to avoid a hole and the bike was there almost before my mind was. It felt like it reacted to my thoughts and I felt like it was too much bike for me; that I didn't deserve such a machine. In truth, I felt I wasn't good enough for it, that it didn't deserve me.

But I kept riding it (come on, who woulnd't?) and I came to a personal realization about why I feel Dario was who he was in the world. He built for me. He built for the guy before me and the guy yet to ride one of his creations. It wasn't a concern about who owned it, as long as it was appreciated for what it is, and used for its intended purpose. He built because he wanted us to enjoy the bike, to understand and love everything the bike is and can be, individually and as a collective.

Do I regret not having been able to speak with him, to say thank you? Yes. But every time I swing a leg over one of his creations I am communicating with him. He chose the tubes for a reason, he chose the geometry for a reason.

I truly believe he wanted us to be happy. To just go ride bikes.
Well said. I’ve ridden my duende all over in just the two years I’ve had it. First big ride was Idaho coeur d‘ fondo and most recently roll massif or copper triangle. It’s getting chips and abuse but it is getting ridden, as was meant to be. Such a well put together frame and the paint makes me smile every time I see it.
Adio Dario.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:54 AM

solid article. Craig can write.

fwiw, I don't think there's anything wrong with learning Dario died and thinking "****! I always wanted one and this may be my final chance!" however, jacking up the price on one just because the man passed is truly disgusting.

what is the story with Pegs these days anyway? they're still building, aren't they? also, I'd read somewhere that the last few years, Dario only built a handful of frames, and obviously did the custom paint work. but the stock frames were done by his crew. any truth to this? (curious because it makes it even more ridiculous the people trying to gouge buyers with claims of "one of the last frames Dario built!" when they have no idea if it's true or not.)
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 AM

The follow-up piece to the one Craig originally posted ... another great read! Essentially reviews the BLE and introduces the Round.

link: https://www.summercycles.com/behind-...egoretti-round
Old 07-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
I think he was noting the irony and sadness in also being a vulture himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes - I read it as self deprecating - his initial reaction, and his realization of what the emotions behind the "vultures" those of his own were about. i.e. the qualifying statement is

"Mourning is never about the dead- it’s about those left behind. It’s always about the vultures and vultures need to eat too. Vultures are ok and need time to mourn too."
Old 01-09-2023, 04:56 PM
Deconditioned!

The Summer Cycle links are dead due to the shop being closed.

For the techies, are the pages archived somewhere?

This stuff needs to be saved for nerds like me.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
The Summer Cycle links are dead due to the shop being closed.

For the techies, are the pages archived somewhere?

This stuff needs to be saved for nerds like me.
I have been unable to dig it up on archive.org (so far) (not looking good)
Old 01-09-2023, 07:54 PM

What is CG up to these days?