Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 10:39 AM

OT: Uneven Heating... Recommendations?

I have forced air heating in my home. My daughter's room is on the same floor as mine, but hers is noticeably colder during the winter. Last winter, I installed window insulator kits in her room, and that helps a little bit, but the temperature difference is still noticeable.

I also have a Nest thermostat (my room) and sensor (her room), so that at night, the heat comes on based on the temp in her room.

Anything else I can do to try to even out the uneven heating?

I don't think there are any space heaters that are safe for running overnight.

I used to close vents in room(s) that we don't use much, but then I read online that that's not necessarily good for your HVAC system, so I stopped doing that.

Tips/recommendations appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Randomhead

her room must be further along the ducting. You can generally adjust dampers to even out the airflow. Also check to see if the ducts are properly insulated or leaking
Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
her room must be further along the ducting. You can generally adjust dampers to even out the airflow. Also check to see if the ducts are properly insulated or leaking
Her room is further along, but heat comes out of the vent pretty well. I definitely have some weaker vents in the house, and the one in her room is not one of them. Checking if the ducts are property insulated or leaking sounds reasonable, but not something a non-HVAC professional like myself can do.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Classics Fan

I've used those shrink wrap kits before and never found them to be particularly impressive.

If you think the window is the main culprit for heat loss, I'd go all the way and install some blinds (like from select blinds) and a curtain. We have that set up in our nursery, and it is typically 5-8 degrees warmer at night in there, than at the thermostat in the hall (door is shut, but not latched over night).

If you're not sure about the window, consider checking the insulation above her room. perhaps there are some spots where the insulation is uneven, not installed properly. Most heat escapes by rising.

But, if you have old drafty windows, and the draft is the cause of the heat loss, the shrink wrap kit may be the only thing you can do to stop air flow.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM

I understand your hesitance on space heaters...but maybe try one of those ones that has a bit of oil in it and heats slowly...they have no fans etc...apologies that I don't know exactly how they are called but they sort look like old style room radiators on wheels...we use one in our house here in vermont in a room that doesn't get enough heat and it really helps...and they don't get hot enough to burn a child...just put out a slow steady area heat and as far as I know are fairly immune from accidents that might involve a young kid...
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 PM

After unsuccessfully trying to track down heat loss in the coldest room in my house I borrowed an infrared camera from work, showed clearly the heat loss was from a 4' section of uninsulated wall as opposed to the two windows I suspected.

Most big hardware stores rent them (Home Depot, etc.) as well as tool rental shops.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
After unsuccessfully trying to track down heat loss in the coldest room in my house I borrowed an infrared camera from work, showed clearly the heat loss was from a 4' section of uninsulated wall as opposed to the two windows I suspected.

Most big hardware stores rent them (Home Depot, etc.) as well as tool rental shops.
ha, i've done the same thing. flir cameras are really awesome.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post

Hmm... interesting idea. Thanks for the tip.

And the windows are pretty new... new construction just a few years ago.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:47 PM
I need you cool.

We had some problems with heating in our house (a remodeled 1952 house) and it turned out that the owners who did the remodel didn't install sufficient ductwork for good airflow and such....figured this out when looking at installing A/C.

We ended up installing a couple ductless heating/cooling units and they work great....a bit pricey, but so far worth every cent. No real impact on power bills either, even with A/C running in summer.

Cheers.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Administrator

also - a ceiling fan may help if the heat is stratifying in the room.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM

How about a register booster?
Old 10-09-2019, 01:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ha, i've done the same thing. flir cameras are really awesome.
woah I need to rent one of these things.... to tell me my whole house needs insulation.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:32 PM

I would to see if everything is insulated properly as well. There should be silver tape around your duct work at the seams if it is a metal system. If it is flexible venting you shouldn't be able to see through it.

You can check for a draft by the window as well. Windows should be insulated around the outer perimeter in order to fully retain heat.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 10-09-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Huh.. we have some cold spots we should rent one of these cameras too.

They are mostly around the corners of the house and/or rooms with lots of windows.

But our house is relatively new (2006) and we have very nice Anderson windows.

I could definitely see something like a missing piece of insulation being a factor.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
I have forced air heating in my home. My daughter's room is on the same floor as mine, but hers is noticeably colder during the winter. Last winter, I installed window insulator kits in her room, and that helps a little bit, but the temperature difference is still noticeable.

I also have a Nest thermostat (my room) and sensor (her room), so that at night, the heat comes on based on the temp in her room.

Anything else I can do to try to even out the uneven heating?

I don't think there are any space heaters that are safe for running overnight.

I used to close vents in room(s) that we don't use much, but then I read online that that's not necessarily good for your HVAC system, so I stopped doing that.

Tips/recommendations appreciated. Thanks guys!
I have a similar issue. My HVAC is not “zoned” and to get a habitable temperature in upstairs bedrooms, the ground level is freezing in the summer with the AC. In the winter, the bedrooms can become too warm when the ground floor is heated to a reasonable temperature.

It wasn’t a compete solution, but I replaced the thermostat (only one in my home) with one made by Ecobee (https://www.ecobee.com/) that has little sensors that you place in various rooms throughout the house, and they sense when the room is occupied and adjust the heat/AC accordingly. Like I said, it’s not zoned HVAC, but it does help somewhat.