Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2020, 10:24 AM
Administrator

OT:Espresso Machines - Manual/Lever

So I'm have an itch to get another machine. I don't mind repairing/refurbishing if it is a good quality machine. That said I've always wondered about manual machines. Cool retro aesthetic, but having never worked one are they worth the little bit of extra work to pull a good shot? We don't steam a lot here, mostly just pull straight shots, sometimes add a little milk.

An inquiring mind would like to know.

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg manual.jpeg (125.7 KB, 825 views)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Btw, not that it's a necessary thing, just getting the itch to try something else out. Even with my Seaco, a really good commercial grade burr grinder, fresh beans, and a naked non-pressurized portafilter, I've got it dialed in and I'm pulling some really good shots...

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shots.jpg (59.2 KB, 792 views)

Last edited by William; 07-25-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Btw, not that it's a necessary thing, just getting the itch to try something else out. Even with my Seaco, a really good commercial grade burr grinder, fresh beans, and a naked non-pressurized portafilter, I've got it dialed in and I'm pulling some really good shots...

W.
That's probably the most important component in your set-up. I have a so-so burr grinder and a more expensive machine, but I constantly get uneven extraction and sprays. This actually wasn't an issue a few years ago, but it happens a lot more frequently now. I think for better consistency, I probably need a better grinder.

Which segues into the discussion re: lever machines. One really needs everything as dialed-in and consistent as possible, b/c the manual pulling introduces more variables. So in that regard, you should be set to use lever machines.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
That's probably the most important component in your set-up. I have a so-so burr grinder and a more expensive machine, but I constantly get uneven extraction and sprays. This actually wasn't an issue a few years ago, but it happens a lot more frequently now. I think for better consistency, I probably need a better grinder.

Which segues into the discussion re: lever machines. One really needs everything as dialed-in and consistent as possible, b/c the manual pulling introduces more variables. So in that regard, you should be set to use lever machines.

I've been wondering about this.. how often we start with so-so grinders and when they get upgraded we don't think about that we're comparing a so-so unit that may have lost consistency due to wear with a brand new more expensive one.

All it takes is a little bit of wear and a tiny amount of wobble in a burr.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:22 AM

Yeah I need to get a real grinder too. Too bad they’re so expensive lol.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Yeah I need to get a real grinder too. Too bad they’re so expensive lol.

They don't have to be expensive to get a great grind. I use the Hario Skerton grinder it works great, only cost $35; the other great option is the Silva Manual Coffee Grinder Hand Coffee Bean Grinder, only cost $30; both of these use Ceramic Burrs, both get high reviews across the internet, both will do what only a very few grinders will do and that is Turkish grind.

Fancy grinders are really nice, sure, but will you taste the difference between a $35 grinder and a $350 grinder? I highly doubt it, it's a lot like people claiming a tire they use on the bike is extremely fast, it's all BS and in their heads; people spend a lot of money on something think they got the best and all others are fails when that simply is not the case in some cases. Now if you have some sort of high-end designer kitchen, and you need to keep that presentation, then maybe you need a very expensive grinder to display.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:08 PM

Who knew picking a coffee grinder could be so difficult?

so far this seems like the best deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Sette...89236013&psc=1
Old 07-30-2020, 07:25 PM

There are many blind taste tests that show a grinder can make a big difference, particularly for espresso.

The Sette seems to get top reviews for a lesser-expensive grinder. The only common complaint is that it's noisy. Moving up from there, the Niche Zero gets top marks, and that's about the limit of what you need to spend for home espresso. Beyond that and it's about grinder longevity or bragging rights rather than taste.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
There are many blind taste tests that show a grinder can make a big difference, particularly for espresso.

The Sette seems to get top reviews for a lesser-expensive grinder. The only common complaint is that it's noisy. Moving up from there, the Niche Zero gets top marks, and that's about the limit of what you need to spend for home espresso. Beyond that and it's about grinder longevity or bragging rights rather than taste.
Baratza was selling refurbished varios for $300 so I bought one. And a hand grinder to mess with because I’ve decided to take my aeropress to work.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 PM

People I trust rave about the ultra grinder. A coffee shop in Austin is starting to sell them in the us:

https://levercraftcoffee.com/collect...-ultra-grinder
Old 07-30-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
People I trust rave about the ultra grinder. A coffee shop in Austin is starting to sell them in the us:

https://levercraftcoffee.com/collect...-ultra-grinder
Seems like a bargain at a mere $2200
Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I've been wondering about this.. how often we start with so-so grinders and when they get upgraded we don't think about that we're comparing a so-so unit that may have lost consistency due to wear with a brand new more expensive one.

All it takes is a little bit of wear and a tiny amount of wobble in a burr.
You know, that's a good point. Burrs do wear out, after all.

Personally, I just can't be arsed with spending extra money on it, even though new burrs are quite cheap.

Then again, I should still have a ways to go before needing new burrs. Recommended replacement is 500-1000 pounds of coffee beans processed; I'm at maybe 360 pounds (and that's being generous).

Last edited by echappist; 07-27-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
You know, that's a good point. Burrs do wear out, after all.

Personally, I just can't be arsed with spending extra money on it, even though new burrs are quite cheap.

Then again, I should still have a ways to go before needing new burrs. Recommended replacement is 500-1000 pounds of coffee beans processed; I'm at maybe 360 pounds (and that's being generous).
Burrs are one thing.. the other moving parts can wear too and create wobble.

I had some hand grinders.. the burrs never really had any noticeable wear but the other parts wore like crazy and messed everything up.

I give people a hard time here for megabucks level coffee gear but I think the big electric grinders people tend to have here are probably better choices... you go over to reddit and there's like a religion espousing the holy word of cheap hand grinders. The electric ones seem to almost always be an inherently more stable design with less chance the burrs move in and out of alignment.

Easy to forget people produce massive torque and not on-axis compared to an electric motor producing lower torque at way higher RPM... same problem as bottom brackets.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:11 AM

https://www.olympia-express.ch/en/products/cremina
Old 07-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Nice machine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

W.

Tags
coffee, espresso