Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 PM

I strongly considered the Alpha all road for my next frame. Lack of fender mounts now (a necessity in Seattle) was the only reason I did not proceed.

I did email them and find out they have a fender capable version in the works, approx 1 year out.

I went custom Ti instead
Old 12-23-2017, 04:42 AM

No one mentioned this and I could be way off on this one however didn't Allied Cycles also buy out and move the paint service CyclArt, Inc from Vista, CA?
Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
No one mentioned this and I could be way off on this one however didn't Allied Cycles also buy out and move the paint service CyclArt, Inc from Vista, CA?
Yes
Part of the Guru buy-out was their paint booth and mixing station which is state of the art. Which is why CyclArt came along. We use the same booth and mixing system. So does my local guy who does all the work fro Porsche, Audi and BMW clubs of Ohio.

Last edited by sales guy; 12-23-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:41 AM

I posted this article about Allied in another thread about reinforced carbon fiber. It’s an interesting article, and actually what made me interested in Allied in the first place.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/hia-...-carbon-fiber/
Old 12-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I found this video to be interesting and illuminating. Not that it's any different that most other carbon fiber makers, but I appreciate the learning nonetheless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnegeYuLW4
I enjoyed the video also but have to wonder..looking at equipment and really large 'staff', I wonder how long before they actually make any money..it 'seems' like a huge capital investment.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:00 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I posted this article about Allied in another thread about reinforced carbon fiber. It’s an interesting article, and actually what made me interested in Allied in the first place.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/hia-...-carbon-fiber/
Thanks for the link. Very interesting read. Both for the info on the carbon/process but also for the backstory on trying to break into the bike industry.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I enjoyed the video also but have to wonder..looking at equipment and really large 'staff', I wonder how long before they actually make any money..it 'seems' like a huge capital investment.
From what I understand they're doing well. They do a ton of direct sales and are offering carbon service to other people including making forks for people. We talked to them about forks.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Tough crowd.
Made in the US of A is not good enough for some. Weird.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Steel..what else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Tough crowd.
Made in the US of A is not good enough for some. Weird.
So many other made in the US to choose from.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

PLUS, altho they have dealers, will sell direct even if the potential buyer is in the city that has a dealer..poor form, IMHO...
Old 12-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
PLUS, altho they have dealers, will sell direct even if the potential buyer is in the city that has a dealer..poor form, IMHO...
Giving the market what the market demands is far from poor form.

And I believe they have sold direct to consumer since their inception, so becoming a dealer this is of no surprise.

Last edited by adub; 12-23-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Giving the market what the market demands is far from poor form.
I think a company that doesn't support it's local dealers is poor form. They gotta decide, be direct or have dealers. They should be 'thanking' local dealers for having examples of their (little known)product by directing potential customers to their dealers. Instead they opt for direct and 'double margin'...good for the consumer, poor form for Allied's 'other' customer, their dealers, who buy frames from them. As a bike shop, I wouldn't want to complete with any manufacturer.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Opinions, please: Allied Cycles

Quote:
I think a company that doesn't support it's local dealers is poor form. They gotta decide, be direct or have dealers. They should be 'thanking' local dealers for having examples of their (little known)product by directing potential customers to their dealers. Instead they opt for direct and 'double margin'...good for the consumer, poor form for Allied's 'other' customer, their dealers, who buy frames from them. As a bike shop, I wouldn't want to complete with any manufacturer.

The reality is that this is the new model for retail. Manufacturers can sell at a lower price and still increase their margins. Bike shops have to adapt by providing services that cannot be provided by manufacturers. From a consumer perspective, there is little to justify paying the retail markup when I can pay far less for the same products buying direct.

I’ve talked with Allied, and asked if I could order a bike through my local shop. I was told that Allied is trying to avoid that model of distribution and prefers to sell direct. The bikes apparently come prebuilt, and don’t require a retailer to build them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by djg21; 12-23-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
The reality is that this is the new model for retail. Manufacturers can sell at a lower price and still increase their margins. Bike shops have to adapt by providing services that cannot be provided by manufacturers. From a consumer perspective, there is little to justify paying the retail markup when I can pay far less for the same products buying direct.

I’ve talked with Allied, and asked if I could order a bike through my local shop. I was told that Allied is trying to avoid that model of distribution and prefers to sell direct. The bikes apparently come prebuilt, and don’t require a retailer to build them.

Selling direct is fine and dandy but I wouldn’t want to sell anything as a dealer when I would need to compete with the manufacturer. I completely understand the direct vs dealer network gig and pricing. I’m just saying Allied needs to decide what it wants to be. Saying they have a dealer network which helps getting the word out about their little known brand then saying they want to sell direct is the same as trying on shoes then ordering MO. Great for consumer, not retailer. From a bike shop owner perspective, I wouldn’t carry them.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Opinions, please: Allied Cycles

Quote:
Selling direct is fine and dandy but I wouldn’t want to sell anything as a dealer when I would need to compete with the manufacturer. I completely understand the direct vs dealer network gig and pricing. I’m just saying Allied needs to decide what it wants to be. Saying they have a dealer network which helps getting the word out about their little known brand then saying they want to sell direct is the same as trying on shoes then ordering MO. Great for consumer, not retailer. From a bike shop owner perspective, I wouldn’t carry them.

Agree completely. The shop I use doesn’t stock much in term of bike inventory but will order out of catalogs . It makes sense not to be stuck with inventory that can’t be sold.

Last edited by djg21; 03-01-2018 at 08:44 PM.