Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 04:53 PM

Finally, a prosecutor take killing a cyclist seriously

Just happened to see yesterday's report from VeloNews that Riverside County (CA) is charging a driver who killed a cyclist with murder. Not manslaughter. Not reckless driving. Not leaving the scene of an accident. Murder.

No doubt he will plead to something less (like manslaughter) to avoid the chance of a murder conviction, but the guy will do some serious time.

Thanks, Riverside County DA's Office. It's about time that prosecutors treat this crap seriously.

Here's the VeloNews report:

A southern California driver has been charged with murder after killing a cyclist and injuring another at the Tour de Palm Springs on February 10, 2018.

According to the Desert Sun, Ronnie Huerta, 21, was taken into custody on April 11, 2018 at his arraignment in Riverside County Superior Court.
Huerta was first arrested for vehicular manslaughter after the collision on Feb. 10, when he was driving at around 100 mph, according to other cyclists, down a stretch of road where the 100-mile race was taking place.
Mark Kristofferson, a 49-year-old from Lake Stevens, Washington was pronounced dead on the scene. Kristofferson’s girlfriend, who was riding with him, was also injured.

Huerta was reported to have had a history of reckless driving.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 PM
UN-Registered® User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
This is the part that really kills me... that these people are still behind the wheel.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:49 AM

***?!?
That was my first century and i nearly did it again this year. I know exactly which road that is.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
Just happened to see yesterday's report from VeloNews that Riverside County (CA) is charging a driver who killed a cyclist with murder. Not manslaughter. Not reckless driving. Not leaving the scene of an accident. Murder.

No doubt he will plead to something less (like manslaughter) to avoid the chance of a murder conviction, but the guy will do some serious time.

Thanks, Riverside County DA's Office. It's about time that prosecutors treat this crap seriously.

Here's the VeloNews report:

A southern California driver has been charged with murder after killing a cyclist and injuring another at the Tour de Palm Springs on February 10, 2018.

According to the Desert Sun, Ronnie Huerta, 21, was taken into custody on April 11, 2018 at his arraignment in Riverside County Superior Court.
Huerta was first arrested for vehicular manslaughter after the collision on Feb. 10, when he was driving at around 100 mph, according to other cyclists, down a stretch of road where the 100-mile race was taking place.
Mark Kristofferson, a 49-year-old from Lake Stevens, Washington was pronounced dead on the scene. Kristofferson’s girlfriend, who was riding with him, was also injured.

Murder requires premeditation..I haven't read the article but that's a stretch. I feel for the victim and family but I wonder what's the point of charging him with something that will be pled down.

PLUS, I cringe when it's implied that because the person hit was a cyclist, nobody 'takes it seriously', as in there is some conspiracy towards cyclists..they are hit and 'so what'..really doubt that. Not trying to defend attorneys or LEO who charge various drivers with this crime but...not an anti cyclist conspiracy as is implied. IMHO.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-20-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Murder requires premeditation..
Only first degree though? (IANAL)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 AM

I think this can be generalized to state that incidents of motor vehicle-caused deaths of non-motorists, whether pedestrians or cyclists, continue to be noted as "accidents" no matter how reckless the driver is, and are generally not prosecuted. It's not a conspiracy, but it is a inherent bias in LEOs and the court system in general. In most Euro countries AFAIK a motorist that causes an injury or death to a non-motorist is presumed to be at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Murder requires premeditation..I haven't read the article but that's a stretch. I feel for the victim and family but I wonder what's the point of charging him with something that will be pled down.

PLUS, I cringe when it's implied that because the person hit was a cyclist, nobody 'takes it seriously', as in there is some conspiracy towards cyclists..they are hit and 'so what'..really doubt that. Not trying to defend attorneys or LEO who charge various drivers with this crime but...not an anti cyclist conspiracy as is implied. IMHO.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 AM
UN-Registered® User!

This is not even funny...

I was driving around a few days ago and I saw this sign in front of a used car dealership....
What good can we expect of a system that facilitates certain people the right to get behind the wheel of a possibly deadly machine?
There's simply little driver education, little willingness from law makers to make better, clear laws and apply them.
To get a car and license in the US is way too easy!

Translation:
APPROVED!
No Credit
Bad Credit
No Social Security
No License

Note the bus stop sign under their sign; it was actually hit by a car leaving the dealership I was told!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (100.9 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by Avispa; 04-20-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I think this can be generalized to state that incidents of motor vehicle-caused deaths of non-motorists, whether pedestrians or cyclists, continue to be noted as "accidents" no matter how reckless the driver is, and are generally not prosecuted. It's not a conspiracy, but it is a inherent bias in LEOs and the court system in general. In most Euro countries AFAIK a motorist that causes an injury or death to a non-motorist is presumed to be at fault.
I don't have the data but I don't agree that they are "generally not prosecuted"..if the driver is clearly reckless or careless. I think the punishment received is disappointing but if a reckless driver hurts a non driver..pretty sure they'll get some punishment.

I've seen more than a few posts(not yours) where it was implied because the person hurt or killed was on a bike, then nobody took it 'seriously'..is all.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 AM

Glad to see more DAs pressing murder charges for these egregious crimes. Then are finally coming around to seeing that these drivers exhibit "depraved indifference" to human life. No, I'm not a lawyer nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Locally, a particularly gruesome recent collision ( I refuse to call it an "accident") likewise led to murder charges: http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index....d_with_mu.html. Let's hope these types of prosecution continue. Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege to be executed safely, within the law.

Greg
Old 04-20-2018, 09:12 AM

That's an interesting charge - "depraved indifference murder" - so it seems that premeditation is not required for the charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Glad to see more DAs pressing murder charges for these egregious crimes. Then are finally coming around to seeing that these drivers exhibit "depraved indifference" to human life. No, I'm not a lawyer nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Locally, a particularly gruesome recent collision ( I refuse to call it an "accident") likewise led to murder charges: http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index....d_with_mu.html. Let's hope these types of prosecution continue. Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege to be executed safely, within the law.

Greg
Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 AM

That is mind-boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa View Post
The other day driving around I saw this sign in front of a used car dealership.
What good can we expect of a system that would facilitate certain people to get behind the wheel of a possibly deadly machine?
Just to be clear, I mean there's little driver education, little willingness from law makers to make better, clear laws and apply them.

Translation:
APPROVED!
No Credit
Bad Credit
No Social Security
No License

Note the bus stop sign under their sign!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
It's only "not a conspiracy" cause it's out in the open and accepted. The current state is the result of a dedicated effort by the auto lobby starting in the early 20th century to set up an environment where everyone was expected to drive cars everywhere and bad behavior in an auto would be treated as an accident and not negligent behavior.

It's documented all over the place. When cars were first invented this climate did not exist. Drivers were treated really harshly at first when killing people and cities put in really strict speed limits and rules for cars. The auto lobby had to work really hard to remove everyone else from the road and create the expectation that it was never the car/driver's fault.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 AM

The idiot was driving with a suspended license and cited in court a few times aswell... yeah he deserves to go to jail for a very long time IMO.

http://www.kesq.com/news/man-charged...ense/701248089
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa View Post
The other day driving around I saw this sign in front of a used car dealership.
What good can we expect of a system that would facilitate certain people to get behind the wheel of a possibly deadly machine?
Just to be clear, I mean there's little driver education, little willingness from law makers to make better, clear laws and apply them.

Translation:
APPROVED!
No Credit
Bad Credit
No Social Security
No License

Note the bus stop sign under their sign!
Three of these four have absolutely nothing to do with one’s ability to operate a motor vehicle and I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume that #4 is a reference to documentation status, not inability to pass one’s driving test. But I’m obviously not familiar with this particular dealership.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Also OP would you mind posting a link to the article?