Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 06:28 PM

OT: Interior Car Protection

Good Evening,

A new car for the wife, Honda CR-V EX. Very nice.

Cloth seats. What to spray on to protect? Scotchguard? Has anyone used another product that may be more effective?

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Are ice-cream slurping, hot-dog eating little kids going to be involved, or just adults?

If it's the latter I wouldn't worry much about it.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:54 PM

I am very sad to say that the little people have grown up. Just me and the Mrs. Of course I need to worry about something, maybe something else?
Old 04-17-2024, 07:22 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
Of course I need to worry about something, maybe something else?
Here's one that's worse than non-perfect seats:

Just about every night I drive home in the Integra I see multiple deer by the side of the road. Most of the time they stay put, every now and then one darts across. (I once had one literally T-bone the passenger's side of the Subaru. Stupid things.)

Raccoons and possums are also quite common. Two nights ago a racoon was startled and ran back across to the park that he probably associated with safety. I felt sure the front left fender or tire was going to get him, but he miraculously made it - no "thump."

So yeah, there's a lot more out there...
Old 04-17-2024, 07:30 PM

Seat covers is what I use, because I know I am gonna spill something on those cloth seats
And they can be washed. Of course, the rear seats in my Honda Fit(s) over the years have been sat in three or four times, so they stay folded down, with a bedsheet covering them to keep them clean. When I traded the ‘08 Fit in in the ‘20 Fit the seats looked new.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:41 PM

Re:

I also use seat covers... decent quality neoprene models. After a couple of years sliding in and out of the drivers seat the bolsters always show a bit of wear otherwise.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:54 PM

I wouldnt worry about it too much, car seats are pretty tough and likely already treated. The most important things will be keeping water/dirt/food off of them, and away from heat/direct sunlight (window tint, windshield reflector).
Old 04-17-2024, 07:57 PM

Wet Okole seat covers in all of our vehicles, they just work and they add comfort as well. They typically run a 15% sale every other weekend it seems.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:04 PM
n - 1

This is what I use. Even if you don’t have kids, it’s nice to have for times when you’re transporting dirty bikes and gear. Or other filthy cargo.

https://a.co/d/6609qvd

I also use this for the cargo/trunk.

https://a.co/d/9BEd1Nf
Old 04-18-2024, 07:36 AM
Everything is connected

Serious advice…next car with kids, go for leather. I received this advice when my kids were young and poo-pooed it at first. When we bought our first Odyssey, I upgraded for leather and not soon after found an orange crayon melted on one of the seats. YouTube advice with some ice and it was like it never happened.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 04-18-2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:38 AM

What's the difference in price between the cloth car + aftermarket ugly stuff vs leather?

I have always gone for leather, but even with leather it's really been a case of take a deep breath and just accept that it's not going to go well with kids. My Subaru is actually holding up pretty well at 11 years, the driver's seat is starting to have some cracks in the leather and there is one crack in the back, probably from something my son did.

I will get the last laugh.. if my son expects us to give him a car he's going to get the Subaru he trashed the back of all these years.

I have recently joked he will not even be allowed to ride in my next car.

All that said, absolute yes for protection type products for the trunk + seatback protectors for times when you fill the car with bicycles or luggage/cargo.

The worst thing recently was not even my son. Carpooling him to rock climbing the space cadet kid we carpool with decided to play with his chalk bag and ended up grinding white chalk into the black perforated leather seats. Amazingly the chalk actually cleaned up OK but climbing gear is no longer allowed in the back seat, that was not cool.