Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 05:43 PM

For the waxing crew - what is the recipe? Canning paraffin and what else in the crock pot?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:04 PM

NSF is good stuff but found on our local rail trail the grit stuck to the chain awful, waxing solved that problem. Both have their advantages
Old 04-24-2024, 06:17 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
For the waxing crew - what is the recipe? Canning paraffin and what else in the crock pot?

Thanks.
Here: Silca Secret Chain Blend

That's it....
Old 04-24-2024, 06:39 PM

I've been waxing my chains for 3 years now.

Started with a second hand crock pot and canning parafin and ptfe powder, I quickly ditched the ptfe. It wasn't worth the cost or effort.
Always starting with a new factory shimano dura ace chain. I cleaned them using a acetone and mineral spirits until there was no residue after wiping with a micro fiber cloth.

Results were great and the only downside was the decreasing process.

This year I bought a silca hot pot and their strip chip product. A bag of super secret blend wax and a bottle of drip wax.

Results are much better. Next time I buy a bag of wax, I'm going to use their decreasing liquid instead of strip chip.
Reason for this is because you can only strip 6 chains for a bag of wax vs 16+ for the bottle of stripper.

Using the silca hot pot means the wax is melted at the correct temps now so there is no chance of burning and ruining the wax.

Drip wax is for weekly applications as needed with 2 chains being rotated monthly with about 800 to 1000km of use per chain.

Excluding the hot pot cost. I'll spend $80 to $100CAD to maintain 6 chains for 2 seasons of training and racing with about 30,000 km ridden.

Using dry and wet lubes and cleaning and re lubing chains would have cost me about the same, excwpt now I have no grease stained socks.

Last edited by Permanent socks; 04-24-2024 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:56 PM

Is this science behind the Silca stuff?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01679X16301554

The little I understand might make sense!
Old 04-24-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post

Thanks.
Basic candle wax and (this part vaires) Teflon. Next time I'll use something less toxic, but I still have another pot full, and I've only used less than half of the first post full (I've done maybe 6 chains already)

Watch this and enjoy the clean quiet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr9znwpwmQ
Old 05-01-2024, 11:10 AM

I waxed eight chains yesterday

Three were new 11s XX1 SRAM chains, which I've had great durability from on my MTB and were on sale at Planet Cyclery's GOOB sale. The other five were on the five bikes I ride the most.

The KMC chain on the Bingham is the original chain I started with on the Strong. It has over 7,000 miles on it and has always been waxed. I hung it and still can hardly measure wear on that chain, at most it's 1/16th inch in over 3 feet of chain. I wanted fresh wax on the Supersix chain even though it has 500 miles, since I'm taking it on my VA trip soon, so I just decided to pull the chains off the Habanero, Litespeed, and Bob Jackson also. All of these chains are well below the 0.5% wear limit measured with the Park Tool and the Pedro's chain checkers.

I used the Silca Stripper solution on the new chains, and boiling water on the old chains (and the new ones after the Stripper) and then dried them in the toaster oven. Then one at a time into the crockpot with the Silca wax. As much as possible, I wiped them down quickly and put them back on the bike and gave each chain a good spin to make sure they weren't sticky from the wax. The new chains, which were going back into the drawer, got worked over a pipe when they'd cooled to loosen them up.

As others have said, what's most noticeable is how clean the chainrings, cassette cogs, and especially the jockey wheels are from using wax. No crud. Even though this wax session took some time, I'd rather do this type of maintenance than what I used to do, cleaning all the drivetrain bits. YMMV (your maintenance may vary).

Last edited by NHAero; 05-01-2024 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:51 AM
kg

I’m considering joining the club but I have a question about chain removal. If I recall correctly, Shimano and SRAM quicklinks aren’t reusable. Do you reuse anyway and, if so, how do you know when it’s no longer safe? Or do you have another approach?
Old 05-01-2024, 12:05 PM

So, when measuring for wear, are waxed chains giving a false reading since the wax is filling the void? I’ve had this in the back of my head but always forget to check during an in between chain cleaning. Just curious.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I’m considering joining the club but I have a question about chain removal. If I recall correctly, Shimano and SRAM quicklinks aren’t reusable. Do you reuse anyway and, if so, how do you know when it’s no longer safe? Or do you have another approach?
I use Shimano chains and I reuse the Shimano quick links for a fair number of uses. When they get too easy to snap together, it's time to chuck them.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Here: Silca Secret Chain Blend

That's it....
Received in the mail yesterday, waxed last night, just rode 15.

Amazing really. Onyx hub, no front der, waxed chain - unreal how quiet it is.

Highly recommend.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:48 PM

Just tried the UFO Drip Ceramic Speed. Damn is it wonderful...... Even on my track bikes - talk about silent!
Old 05-01-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I just order extra quick links, and reuse each one 2 or 3 times.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I waxed eight chains yesterday

Three were new 11s XX1 SRAM chains, which I've had great durability from on my MTB and were on sale at Planet Cyclery's GOOB sale. The other five were on the five bikes I ride the most.

The KMC chain on the Bingham is the original chain I started with on the Strong. It has over 7,000 miles on it and has always been waxed. I hung it and still can hardly measure wear on that chain, at most it's 1/16th inch in over 3 feet of chain. I wanted fresh wax on the Supersix chain even though it has 500 miles, since I'm taking it on my VA trip soon, so I just decided to pull the chains off the Habanero, Litespeed, and Bob Jackson also. All of these chains are well below the 0.5% wear limit measured with the Park Tool and the Pedro's chain checkers.

I used the Silca Stripper solution on the new chains, and boiling water on the old chains (and the new ones after the Stripper) and then dried them in the toaster oven. Then one at a time into the crockpot with the Silca wax. As much as possible, I wiped them down quickly and put them back on the bike and gave each chain a good spin to make sure they were sticky from the wax. The new chains, which were going back into the drawer, got worked over a pipe when they'd cooled to loosen them up.

As others have said, what's most noticeable is how clean the chainrings, cassette cogs, and especially the jockey wheels are from using wax. No crud. Even though this wax session took some time, I'd rather do this type of maintenance than what I used to do, cleaning all the drivetrain bits. YMMV (your maintenance may vary).
100% agree with all of this.

I caved and bought the Silca wax pot and Stripchips 2 weeks ago. I've now done 3 new chains and 3 re-waxes and it literally couldn't be any easier. I love the whole simplified process.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
My chains are mostly KMC or SRAM. As others have said, I re-use, but pay attention to the "click" when re-assembling and replace if it feels mushy.