Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
So, I'm making a venture into SET- I'm going to need an efficient speaker as my Ohm 4's are both too power hungry and a complex load. So, assuming that I want to do this in a "budget" fashion, what would the braintrust here recommend either used or diy? Something infinite baffle or? Drivers? How do the modern Klipsch designs sound (Crutchfield is a a dealer and has a local retail outlet)?
Modern Klipsch would pair up very nicely with a SET setup, as they are incredibly efficient and very sensitive to tube swapping, so you'll be able to dial in the sound you want by some simple experimenting.

A good amount of people love the Double Impacts by Tekton. I've never heard them, and the design is quite polarizing, but others swear by them and they make an 8ohm model with very high efficiency.

Sonus Faber, as someone suggested above are quite amazing speakers but in my experience they LOVE MOAR POWARR! But seriously, the more headroom an amp has the better the sound opens up. At lower volumes the soundstage is somewhat limited, again IMO. Others might feel differently.