Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 10:08 AM

Italian BB, aghrrrrr!!!

OK, my Italian bottom bracket on a bike I got recently is unscrewing as I pedal. Almost left me on the road the first time it happened. Had to pedal backwards during coasting to keep it in the frame and prevent the crankset from seizing. Came back home, tightened it; still comes loose. Is it a matter of proper torque, or do you guys resort to other methods?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Proper torque with some light loctite, winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Proper torque with some light loctite, winner winner chicken dinner.
Yup, this. Clean all threads really good to remove grease (if you used some) and bust out the loctite. I have never had an Italian BB come loose by doing this and 5 of my road / cross bikes use Italian BB's.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:06 AM

so I always have used plumbers tape and its worked good. One time i tried stripped any grease whatsoever from the drive side and used blue loctite. About a month later, i needed to change the bottom bracket(spindle length.. long story) and MAN, that was an EXTREMELY hard cup to get out. I thought i was destroying the threads, but nope, it was just the loctite. Maybe i used too much, but i dont remember exactly.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:25 AM

With the proper torque, I never had this problem with any of four Italian frames. If loctite is used, it should be the blue stuff and thorough grease removal is needed.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
OK, my Italian bottom bracket on a bike I got recently is unscrewing as I pedal. Almost left me on the road the first time it happened. Had to pedal backwards during coasting to keep it in the frame and prevent the crankset from seizing. Came back home, tightened it; still comes loose. Is it a matter of proper torque, or do you guys resort to other methods?
Make sure BB shell is faced, BB shell ‘faces’ parallel.
Install with some Teflon tape on RH cup, grease, not ‘glue’,
Tighten with proper tool, like the Park or Campagnolo or similar t handle one that grips both cup flats, not just a consumer level wrench.

Been doing it this way for over 35 years plus in shop and never had one come unscrewed.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-18-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:00 PM

I do what potato says since at least 30 years ago.... almost all my stuff is far superior italian threaded...

Grease the threads, put teflon tape in the cups (figure it out which way so it doesnt rip :P), tight that like hulk and you good to go. For the record you wont mess the threads if you go over torque spects, the driver side cup has nowhere else to go, it will just stop right there.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:11 PM

I guess I used a "consumer level wrench"
Old 11-18-2019, 02:45 PM

What is the reasoning for using Teflon tape?

Has a bb maker ever been known to recommended this?

I've thought this through from a couple of angles and am still quite loathe to try it.

I use substantial tools to torque the fixed cup and have never had a cup loosen on either side.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
What is the reasoning for using Teflon tape?

Has a bb maker ever been known to recommended this?

I've thought this through from a couple of angles and am still quite loathe to try it.

I use substantial tools to torque the fixed cup and have never had a cup loosen on either side.
Many BB shells, particularly older Euro ones, the threads weren’t cut particularly ‘deep’ so Teflon tape helps to fill the ‘voids’ between ‘tighter’ cups and these.
BUT the thing that keeps the ‘far superior Italian threaded’ BBs tight is
-facing
-grease
-proper tool
And
-TIGHT
Old 11-18-2019, 04:55 PM

I would not use Loctite 242 (Blue).

If you use it in lieu of grease, rust can still form. Then you're in a world of poop.

I'm not sure the 242 would work if you greased the threads first, THEN added the 242.

If you must use the 242, don't coat all the threads. Just draw one straight line across the threads and let turning the cup in spread the 242.

Otherwise, try the teflon plumber's tape first. If it doesn't work, it's less aggravating to remove it.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:36 PM

243 works in the presence of lubricants.

That said, I've never used anything but grease on BB threads and never had one come loose. As mentioned I'd have a hard look at the BB shell faces, they may not be parallel. It's also possible that the bearing preload on the spindle was set too tight.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Make sure BB shell is faced, BB shell ‘faces’ parallel.
Install with some Teflon tape on RH cup, grease, not ‘glue’,
Tighten with proper tool, like the Park or Campagnolo or similar t handle one that grips both cup flats, not just a consumer level wrench.

Been doing it this way for over 35 years plus in shop and never had one come unscrewed.

I’ve never heard this method before...I’ve only installed with slightly greased cups, and tighten very..very tight.

I have a retro build coming up with Italian threads...maybe I’ll try the Teflon tape!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 PM

The teflon keep the thing together and you will avoid creaks aswell. Super old trick... older than me and potato together :P

JUst pay attention to which direction you roll the teflon tape around the cup because if you put that the wrong way the tape will start bulging and getting off the threads :P You want the thing to go in. I do like a turn and a half to 2 turns, more will be way too much. The teflon as potato says will fill up the difference but at the same time will help to get the cup not frozen in place, the only thing is just put grease in the cup. Some guys dont put grease in the cups and thats when problems happen, or just put loctite and no grease, bad idea.

As for the torque wrench, the only cup you have to get tight is the driver side annd as I said before, tight that like hulk, nothing it will happen, the non driver side is the adjustable or the other cup from the UT cups (no idea what bb the dude is using)... you can leave the cup ok tight because with the time will continue getting tighter which is expected to happen. No need to torque wrench....

As for english cups, you can leave them not super tight because they will tight with the time.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Small ring

I've been using Teflon tape for years. It works.