Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Thinking of trying lace up road shoes

I like leather cycling shoes and the look of lace up ones. Are there any recommended brands and how do you hide or cover the laces so they don't come undone and go into the chain rings? Thanks
Old 11-18-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
I like leather cycling shoes and the look of lace up ones. Are there any recommended brands and how do you hide or cover the laces so they don't come undone and go into the chain rings? Thanks
I think the most popular, and probably the highest quality laceup, is the Giro Empire SLX. Didn't work for me as they were too narrow. But if they fit, really really nice shoes!
Old 11-18-2019, 08:09 AM

+1 for Giro Empire

Love these.

Coming from a history of "alternative" closures (velcro, BOA etc.) I find that the Giro Empire allows me to get it "just right". And with none of the fussy drama I experienced on my BOA closures (although that may have been a bad batch).

As to your question re: laces in the spokes...the Giro Empire has an elasticized lace keeper of sorts that allows you to tuck the excess back along the length of the tongue. Hard to explain, but once you look at it, it makes total sense. I've never had any problems.

One consideration - if you like to tighten your straps heading into a sprint etc., not going to be possible with lace up shoes. The same goes for loosening these up mid-ride without dismounting.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 AM

I tried the Giro Empire shoes with laces only. Not my cup of tea. I do have the Giro Factor Techlace so it has laces and Boa combo.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/g...waAq-bEALw_wcB

This may be akin to a saddle as it is a personal fit item and what may work for some will not for others. Giro shoes fit my feet very well and I like to adjust the fit during a ride and get a little tighter fit. I just stop pedaling for 5 seconds, reach down and turn the Boa.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Shifty Member

I have a pair of the Giro lace ups for mtb and gravel. So darn comfy as they do not bind the top of my foot and work really well for my high arch. There is a lace stow where you just tuck them under. Never had an issue with mtb rides or long distance all-day gravel rides.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:39 AM

I really like Giro Republic but they are not leather. I double bow tie pretty much all lace up shoes that I have. Never had an issue on the bike. There is a pair of Giro Republic leather shoes, size 44, for sale in Bike Forums C & V forum.

Last edited by DeBike; 11-18-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-18-2019, 08:41 AM

A number of companies jumped on that bandwagon. You have quite a few choices. Some may be discontinued now so maybe you'll score one on sale.

https://garneau.com/us_en/l-a-84-cycling-shoes-1487244

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-carbon-road-shoe/

https://www.scott-sports.com/ca/en/p...=2758846156024

Older article.
https://www.sportive.com/cycling-sho...-cycling-shoes
Old 11-18-2019, 08:47 AM
bourbon!

Lake has another option
https://lakecycling.com/products/cx1...nt=45904633545
Old 11-18-2019, 09:21 AM

I was so happy to get away from those old lace up bikes riding shoes of the past. Couldn't imagine going back. Never would actually. Of all the closure systems I have used over the past 40 years or so....think BOA's are the best. Can adjust while I ride.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
...I was so happy to get away from those old lace up bikes riding shoes of the past...
I bought and rode with some of the Giro lace up shoes couple of years ago and really liked the comfort. But during each ride after a couple of miles I would find myself having to get off, sit down, and adjust the laces. When was the last time I had to do that?

It was when I also had toe clips and straps. Toe clips no longer get any respect but at least you could adjust the straps while riding.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:40 AM

I have both the Giro Empire SLX and the Rapha Classics.

The Raphas have a roomier toe box than the Giros.

I've never had to stop to re-tie my shoes. Ever.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Dromati.
https://dromarti.com/collections/road-shoes
Old 11-18-2019, 10:09 AM

Love my Giro Empires and Republics - the fit and comfort work really well for me, especially the newer knit models. I don't mind boas, just haven't come across the right pair yet that fits as well as these. Once I've broken them in and laces are "bedded in" you kinda know how to do the laces up just right and it's rare that I'll need to adjust any further during a ride.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM
#RYFB

I have a pair of ~3 year old Giro Empires, think I have stopped to tighten the laces once. Very comfortable, laces stow as described above. I'd consider the Rapha ones that @dbnm has but they don't have replaceable heel pieces.

My brother has a pair of Vittoria 1976 -- really nice classic look IMO, remind me of my old Detto Pietros. It looks like the current lineup only offer nylon soles, but you might be able to find previous models that are carbon.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 AM

I like the laces. I have a pair of the Giro Empire shoe we did with a moots logo while I was there and at the beginning of the summer I got a pair of the Mavic All Road Pro shoes for gravel and mtb. The Mavics have a "autolocker" eyelet that separates the lower laces from the upper so you can adjust the lower and leave it then just tighten the top when you tie the laces. Both shoes have an elastic strap to capture the loops on top of the shoes. For me both are very light and comfortable, but I agree shoes are like saddles find what fits.