Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Some of the folks I ride with have MTBs and fat bikes. Most prefer the fat over the standard, one guy even sold his MTb. Any of you have similar experiences? Love your fat bike so much that the other off road bike collects dust?
Had one. Hated it. Could never get my knees to reconcile with the HUGE Q factor generated by the wider BB/cranks.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteel View Post
Had one. Hated it. Could never get my knees to reconcile with the HUGE Q factor generated by the wider BB/cranks.
There are fat bikes with regular MTB Q factor. Such as Rocky MTB Susi Q, Otis Voytek. I modified my Pug to 183mm. My knees didn’t agree with 200+ Q factor either.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Just got back from a trail ride on my fatty - 2016 Mukluk with a Bluto and 27.5x4 tires.

It's fun in the dirt, even more fun in the snow, and a really capable bikepacking bike, especially in 29x3 mode. If I didn't live where I could make snow or sand riding a regular thing, I don't think I'd choose it as a primary ride, but if you do it absolutely extends your riding envelope to 12 months/yr. If it were my only bike I'd want a rigid and a sus fork, a snow/float wheelset tire combo and a 27.5 or 29+ wheelset for dirt only days.

The Q factor thing matters to some people, doesn't for others. The Voytek and Suzi Q and Pugs can mitigate this a little bit at the expense of ultimate float in truly loose conditions. Flat pedals help too for "normal" fat bikes, and you shouldn't be riding clips in the snow anyway.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:48 PM

I think I’ll probably go the rental route, give it a try for the afternoon, then decide. Thanks for the feedback, this has been helpful!
Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I'm on my 4th fatbike in the past 9 years. I still reach for it just as much as my carbon full suspension bike. My steel fatbike is nearly a full pound LIGHTER than my carbon bike. Lap times on my local singletrack are nearly equal. The fun factor isn't even close, the fatty wins every time.

If you haven't ridden a proper "trail" fatbike with tubeless tires, then your opinions about fatbikes are likely outdated and worth revisiting.
The extra effort part applies to half of a pedal revolution and that's about it. Once it's up to speed it's hard to tell the difference.

The Surly Wednesday is still my favorite fatbike, with the Otso Voyek being #2.
i got to the part of your post i bolded and thought "i feel like he's talking about my wednesday." such a rad bike; i built a set of 27+ wheels for it this fall: dropped the bb a bit and made it even more of a hoot to ride
Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
i got to the part of your post i bolded and thought "i feel like he's talking about my wednesday." such a rad bike; i built a set of 27+ wheels for it this fall: dropped the bb a bit and made it even more of a hoot to ride
I've heard so many good things about the Wednesday. Even though they are falling out of favor with manufacturers, 177 spaced fatties ( Wednesday, older Wozo, Suzi Q, Voytek, my old Mukluk mentioned above) are really fun as year round bikes if you don't need to run Bud/Lou on 100mm rims.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 PM

I run my farley with Bluto all year, it’s amazing. It’s made me a better rider to not have rear suspension, but unlimited traction has me spoiled. I can dust my buddies downhill and gap them uphill. Nothing bad to say about the bike at all. I’ve ridden a Surly ICT and that was a heavy beast. Not as fun to ride.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Is it harder to do technical stuff? Like hitting doubles and whatnot
Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 PM

A little bit, not like Michigan or Minnesota

Always assumed it was a regional thing. I understand some markets do well with the platform. Not here

Like I said, it was a fad that came and went. Haven't seen one on the trail in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
Nope. Not here.
Very popular.
Do you have snow where you live?
Old 11-17-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Is it harder to do technical stuff? Like hitting doubles and whatnot
No harder than any other XC-ish hardtail, IME. There’s also a really cool effect when you take a drop to flat, kinda hit it wrong, figure the landing is gonna suck and then you just gently set down on these giant pillows and keep rolling.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:26 AM

I used a fat bike once on CX ski trails and I thought it was really fun. If I lived in a climate with snow, I would own one.

It seems weird to be to spend big $$ on a fat bike though. I rented a big alloy Norco and it was cheap and cheerful. Carbon fatbikes with SRAM eagle and carbon bars seem like a waste of money!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:37 AM

Up here, fatbikes are very much a "thing", all year round. A well-designed fatbike it a very versatile ride.

Many companies jumped into the fad without understanding what they were doing, and many still have no idea. Then it was gravel. Now it's ebikes...
Old 11-18-2019, 06:38 AM

I had the Trek Farley 9.8 - super light, tubeless, carbon rims, Eagle, rigid fork. I sold it. 99.999% of snow trails are useless once people ride or walk on them or the temp cools down and they freeze. New snow is soo slippery you cant get traction or turn. There are 1.3 miles of groomed trails. Taking bike on a rack in winter sucks, be prepared to have a frozen salt covered bike. Turns like a freakin truck, a big nasty truck. Too slow feeling for me. Sold it.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 AM

i've owned a few. Cost per mile is very high unless you use year-round. But you've got to get a good one to enjoy the ride pushing cost per mile even higher. When conditions are great they are the most fun on two wheels! I think it's a very ymmv bike though. If you've got snow and better yet groomed trails then you might love fatties. I ride mine occasionally in dirt but my FS is better.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:55 AM
'97 Ti Legend

I have a Surley Moonlander, so heavy and not the most modern angles so it will certainly not be replacing my Ibis Ripley or my Zanc 29er in the warmer months, but once the snow comes, it is so much fun. I keep thinking about buying a carbon frame and saving weight, but often by the end of a ride it has pounds of snow and ice packed into it, I figure it is just fine for my needs.