Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The number of pickups I see that have ever had any load at all in the back is pretty low. Those people are buying trucks out of a fairly deeply set insecurity (recent surveys about conservation bear this out). So they aren't going to buy this Tesla truck. There is a fairly large group of rabid Tesla supporters, so maybe they will buy the truck.
quick and to the point. agree

I can totally see this becoming the de facto RV tower here in CA though.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
I agree its not a real 4x4 and that crowd would never accept it. it doesn't modify and it doesn't get fixed on the trail. you can't pull the rear driveshaft when you blow an axle and drive it home on the front. I think it will take away some market share from the cool dad $50k tacoma crew with trd badging that likes to drive their truck to and from the office and park at a campsite in Joshua tree. I can't see even using it as a work truck, accessibility looks poor and you can't really add rails or any kind of custom cages to carry specific equipment.

the Bollinger is the real deal unfortunately no one will ever pay that kind of money for it, I doubt it will EVER be released before they go bankrupt, no matter how optimistic their claims are. if anything they will do one run and be bought out or close down. their battery tech is generations behind Tesla.
Agree. It’ll be a status symbol truck. As far as the work truck concept goes I wasn’t specifically talking about this Tesla one buy EV trucks in general.

And angrysci^ I think a 400 mile range for 1 day is totally feasible as a small parts work truck. I’m imagining it as more of cal trans road crew truck that cleans up trash or follows the road paver so no one runs over the guys on the highway
Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Oh yes. I should’ve made that clear. This thing probably isn’t towing or loading up 10k.
Specs say rated to 14k lbs (and 3500lb payload), which is 3/4-1 ton territory. I’m assuming they’ll scale that down when it comes out. Can’t see the thing having the structural integrity to handle those kinds of load. Nor the girth. Looks more like a midsize than full-size.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:34 AM
Administrator

this will not be a truck for truck people, it's an urban utility vehicle.

it is well proven that SUVs dominate the market right now, and most folks point to the "higher driving position" as being one of the most favorable aspects of the SUV platform.

This will provide tesla customers an option there.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
cool dad $50k tacoma crew with trd badging that likes to drive their truck to and from the office and park at a campsite in Joshua tree.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Almost all pickup trucks seem to be bought as image devices so this is all fine.

"Break Down in Death Valley and fix it yourself" is a tiny tiny percentage of truck owners.

Somebody clearly watched a lot of Bladerunner & OG Transformers cartoons. The crowd here might be too old to appreciate this?

We've had nothing but a sea of smooth edged lozenges & chiclets for decades now... hard edges look beautiful. I'm not even that sure I think this thing will actually be that un-aerodynamic.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:16 AM

you can't you can't you can't blah blah blah

if you don't want/like electric cars, you'll find a million reasons how it's not what you're used to and laser focus on the things it can't do.

and btw, whodaffuq is tearing apart their truck in the middle of a desert? and if you do, how many times have you been stuck out there that you have to narrow your choices to cars that can be reconstructed in the wild??? maybe drive better

now, if you just think it's fugly.

well..... yeah.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
maybe weekend project use, but service vehicles like pest control or parts run trucks are generally on the road 10+ hours a day, all day. that's not going to work for an EV right now.
hrm... i would think evs are actually a better option for service vehicles. a 10+ hour work day does not mean you're driving for 10+ hours which implies you're doing no actual work. these trucks may have frequent stops within a specific range, but they're not going on a 10hr road trip every day.

if anyone's been in an ev, specifically with ludicrous mode, you understand the benefit of 100% torque at a standstill
Old 11-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Two things jump out at me (besides whether or not it is FUGLY):

1. You can't reach over the bed to get things out. You have to climb in from the back. Good luck if you have full bed and need to get to the tool box. Of course, it doesn't look like you can attach one. Problem solved!

2. Like the model 3, it will be very late and way more expensive.
Where I live, there's scads of people driving waaaay overpriced Jeep Wrangler pickups who never venture off road, aren't contractors, and drive it for the social appeal. Let's be serious, that's who this truck is aimed at. If your "pickup" can go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, you are the envy of your suburb and it will look nice parked next to the Harley that's never used. Or in front of Ruth's Chris. Or impressing your friends at the Bama tailgates.

The Model Y is ahead of schedule. Tesla seems to have figured out production better since Model 3 days. That was two years ago now!

Last edited by mistermo; 11-22-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:40 AM

I would certainly consider the 2wd as a prius replacement for me in a few years though! Could tow my 4x4 to the parks ez
Old 11-22-2019, 11:41 AM

Holy crap, that's a silly looking contraption. Somebody call John DeLorean! Finally, the bullet proof car we've all been needing!

I mean, Musk has jumped the shark with this one, can we all agree on that? This is like that Simpsons episode where they let Homer design the car.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Yes, it will be a comparatively impractical image machine vs an old F-150 or the like. But an old F-150 never made 8 year old me scream with excitement like this thing does.

This thing is a Giorgetto Giugiaro fever dream and I love it. I want it.

Do I want it as much as an old BMW 1600 with an electric crate motor? No, but I still think it's great.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Now he's designing pickup trucks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (9.0 KB, 151 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Is it a unibody or does it have a frame? If it doesn’t have a frame, with that kind of power and supposed payload and towing capacity, I’d be concerned about permanent damage happening to the stainless steel unibody which by the way makes me wonder what happens if you get into a fender bender with one.

Either way I’m all for electric vehicles but this does seem to be more of a mall cruiser type of truck, which is fine I suppose if it means people aren’t driving a huge gas or diesel truck instead.

As for the looks I can’t get over it. I laugh every time I see it.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM

https://www.techspot.com/news/78089-...tions-but.html

If you're still buying a $45k Toyota Tacoma, well, good on you lol.

Tags
cybertruck, deathmachines