Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 08:16 PM
roadeoheller

I finished a coupled Waltly recently. Designed for both 700c or 650b with 68mm BB drop. Using centerlock wheels for easy removal. Thru axles. Max tire size 650x2.25. When running 700, I'll be sampling the panaracer 700x38 soon.

700x35 were always a pain to pack into the travel box so I may end up traveling primarily 650. Using TRP Spyre but considering trying out the Juin Tech cable actuated hydro

If you do custom ti, you get custom geo and never have to worry about scratched paint. Win win.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ujJzw61yY7wW9cSZ7

I previously had a custom Carver ti with extra long reach brakes, 700x35 and fenders. Other bike was a coupled Elephant NFE with 650b. Wanted to consolidate 2 bikes into 1 to simplify life. This was my solution.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeheller View Post

700x35 were always a pain to pack into the travel box so I may end up traveling primarily 650. Using TRP Spyre but considering trying out the Juin Tech cable actuated hydro

If you do custom ti, you get custom geo and never have to worry about scratched paint.
Same here. I’m liking the 650-42 IRC Boken Plus as a tire that can do tarmac and gravel, and the Waltly frames have been great. The 650 wheel set is a bit easier to pack, even considering the Co-Motion case is more forgiving than the hardshell. I switched from TRP to Juin-Tech/Yokozuna and am very satisfied.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:31 AM

I have a Ritchey BreakAway CX. It does the job, but I’m not in love with it. It was my first travel bike, and now I’m moving to a S&S coupled Moots Compact.

I travel a lot in small planes, and oversized bike boxes are not really an option for me. The S&S case was a big upgrade from the Ritchey in terms of durability and mobility.

I flew for a lot of years with a big hard bike case, and rental cars and other transport were a hassle. That said, I probably wouldn’t have a travel bike if I didn’t fly so much. After the bike purchase, retrofit, and all the travel-bike related gear (case, padding, other protection...), it just doesn’t add up.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Traveling to a phenomenal or bucket list ride destination just to ride a meh bike is a bit silly I think.

You've got the case for the job, bring the good stuff. Life's too short.
Great thread. A few (belated) questions.

I see your point on this. I also see the hesitation on bringing your unicorn steed. Did you purchase insurance on your Gaulzetti? How does that work?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
If it's possible to meet your needs with rim brake instead of disc, I would highly recommend for a travel bike. I have both, and the disc bike is a major PITA compared to the rim brake. There are extra steps involved (disconnecting the rear brake, removing rotors from the wheels) that are annoying, but the biggest this is just that a disc bike ends up being a lot harder to fit in an airline legal travel case than a rim frame. The rear dropouts end up being about an inch wider (outside to outside) on a disc frame than a rim frame, and the rear wheel axle is about half an inch wider. In a case where things barely fit when everything goes right, 10% wider is about 300% more difficult to pack.
This is a big question for me. I like the stopping power (by far) of discs, and it's a game changer on long steep descents. That being said, I'm technically incompetent, and I don't want to futz around with hydraulic bits.

I know Hakkalugi preferred traveling with disc bikes. Can anyone else vouch for discs or rims brakes for travelling? (or vice versa?)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

I see your point on this. I also see the hesitation on bringing your unicorn steed. Did you purchase insurance on your Gaulzetti? How does that work?
From what I've seen, the airline's liability is capped really low, especially for bikes.....so we're left to third-party options, and I'm curious what others are doing there.....price, coverage, etc.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:

No specific insurance. If something went sour I would be filing a claim with the airline and through my credit card, Chase carries travel insurance on baggage on top of whatever the airline would cover.

Its a bike and life's short. I don't want it to be mauled in the hold of an Airbus, but I'm not going to live in fear of that happening either.

I don't get flying to a bucket list destination and then ride a bike you don't know or don't like out of some risk aversion.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
No specific insurance. If something went sour I would be filing a claim with the airline and through my credit card, Chase carries travel insurance on baggage on top of whatever the airline would cover.

Its a bike and life's short. I don't want it to be mauled in the hold of an Airbus, but I'm not going to live in fear of that happening either.

I don't get flying to a bucket list destination and then ride a bike you don't know or don't like out of some risk aversion.
Good to know on the credit-card angle - I'll have to check into that.. And third-party travel insurance, vs. day-to-day bike insurance.

I agree though, if I'm going to fly to europe to ride bikes, I'm either renting a Dogma F12, or bringing my own. Routine trips around the states though to just get in some miles in the sun....different calculus...
Old 11-22-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
This is a big question for me. I like the stopping power (by far) of discs, and it's a game changer on long steep descents. That being said, I'm technically incompetent, and I don't want to futz around with hydraulic bits.

I know Hakkalugi preferred traveling with disc bikes. Can anyone else vouch for discs or rims brakes for travelling? (or vice versa?)
For a coupled bike, I would go rim. Mechanical discs and cable-actuated hydraulics just aren't worth the effort, and hydraulics just seem like a pain in the confines of an "airline-legal" case like the S&S.

On a non-coupled bike in a regular bike case, bring whatever floats your boat. Get a good case, pack the bike well, and have a shop at your destination check it out if you aren't comfortable wrenching. Makes no sense to have a subpar bike along after you went to all of that trouble.

Mea culpa- I have owned several disc brake bikes, but never traveled with them. I always liked riding my rim brake bikes so much more. Ride what makes you happy.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:

This x10.

I travel w/bike a bit. Started with Trico cases and fees, then went to a softside case with a sacrificial bike (ye olde Spooky).

Then I realized that more often than not I would prefer to have the Firefly wherever I happen to be. It’s by far the most versatile and best riding/handling bike I’ve got, especially on rough roads and mixed terrain.

I’ve taken it to the Caribbean and California so far, no problems. So while the S&S case is better when in the airport, my softside case is better when it’s sitting at the hotel and I’m out on my hydro disc FF...

In summary: Optimize around the ride, not getting to the ride. Travel can be hell, and you need to deal with baggage claim either way. Bring the bike you like.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
For a coupled bike, I would go rim. Mechanical discs and cable-actuated hydraulics just aren't worth the effort, and hydraulics just seem like a pain in the confines of an "airline-legal" case like the S&S.

On a non-coupled bike in a regular bike case, bring whatever floats your boat. Get a good case, pack the bike well, and have a shop at your destination check it out if you aren't comfortable wrenching. Makes no sense to have a subpar bike along after you went to all of that trouble.

Mea culpa- I have owned several disc brake bikes, but never traveled with them. I always liked riding my rim brake bikes so much more. Ride what makes you happy.
Good feedback.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post
This x10.

I travel w/bike a bit. Started with Trico cases and fees, then went to a softside case with a sacrificial bike (ye olde Spooky).

Then I realized that more often than not I would prefer to have the Firefly wherever I happen to be. It’s by far the most versatile and best riding/handling bike I’ve got, especially on rough roads and mixed terrain.

I’ve taken it to the Caribbean and California so far, no problems. So while the S&S case is better when in the airport, my softside case is better when it’s sitting at the hotel and I’m out on my hydro disc FF...

In summary: Optimize around the ride, not getting to the ride. Travel can be hell, and you need to deal with baggage claim either way. Bring the bike you like.
Ditto.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:11 PM

travel bike

How about a Bike Friday pocket rocket? It goes easily into its own regular suitcase. It rides fine. I bought a used one after I was passed by an older guy on one while out on a ride. I have traveled with my regular road bikes. I have a big hard case for trips with them and the case is a PITA once you get where you are going. Mine doesn't fit in a little rent car.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:45 PM
ZhugeLiang

I like my coupled bikes....a lot.

Buuuutttt....I been thinkin'...if I am just exploring around a town or city, there's nuthin' that will please me more to have on my side than this....really.

Last edited by weisan; 11-23-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:29 PM

It's probably Karma for working for an airline the last 35 years but I've had nothing but trouble with airlines and BikeFlights the last few years.
Last three big trips have had stuff lost, damaged or both.

Now I only ship my B bike, a Synapse.
A perfectly capable bike. Fits great. Goes from road to gravel by just changing the tires. Can more than handle anything I will ever need it to do. And if something bad ever happens to it, or it somehow disappears, it can be replaced, no problemo. Cannondale stamps them out by the thousands.
But. If something were to happen to my Sarto or it somehow never came back to me I would be heartbroken. For a very long time.