Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2021, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Funny experience at a LBS

This past weekend, I went to visit my my mom who lives in a smallish town in North Florida. It's small enough, that I'm surprised they even have a LBS. I keep a bike, Look 585, at my mom's house so I can do some riding when I visit. I realized on our drive to her home, that I left my pump at my house and was going to make a quick trip to the LBS as soon as I got in town to pump up the tires. I didn't want to use my CO2 cartridges in case I needed them on a ride.

I get to the shop and am greeted by a older gentleman who owns the shop, and he is happy to inflate my tires. As I'm chatting with him explaining that I was from out of town and forgot my pump, he responded something like..."I can tell you aren't from around here, because no one in this county could afford a bike like this". While I really like this bike, it's certainly isn't some new 10+K super-bike -- but I guess he doesn't see many road bikes in his shop.

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to his comment, but I wanted to say something about all the money the locals have to spend on their monster trucks and fancy fishing boats. I'm quite sure these are way more expensive that my road bike
Old 10-25-2021, 07:50 AM

If I had a nickel for every time a Tesla/BMW/Mercedes etc. pulls up to our shop with a Huffy hanging out the back, I would have many many nickels
Old 10-25-2021, 08:24 AM
slower than you

Dont know about boats, but anybody who's still warm can buy a monster truck with a really low interest loan and even lease with zero cash down. A nice bike requires a high interest credit card with a large limit that is hard to get for most people. Thus, double wides with shiny new trucks parked outside.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:26 AM

The owner missed a golden sales opportunity, a Blackburn or serfas pump is like $35 retail
Old 10-25-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
"I can tell you aren't from around here, because no one in this county could afford a bike like this". While I really like this bike, it's certainly isn't some new 10+K super-bike -- but I guess he doesn't see many road bikes in his shop.

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to his comment, but I wanted to say something about all the money the locals have to spend on their monster trucks and fancy fishing boats. I'm quite sure these are way more expensive that my road bike
"Afford" means different things to different people. I think this probably has more to do with local interest than strictly money.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Dont know about boats, but anybody who's still warm can buy a monster truck with a really low interest loan and even lease with zero cash down. A nice bike requires a high interest credit card with a large limit that is hard to get for most people. Thus, double wides with shiny new trucks parked outside.
^^This. Some shops offer deferred interest 6/12mo payment options through third parties or the manuf. Basically a credit card with deferred interest provided you pay off the balance before the end of the term.

I see them get used all the time for super bikes at shops here and frankly it blows my mind. Making payments on a 8-10K depreciating asset that you don't have any insurance on aside from maybe theft from your home. Crash it after 3 weeks and you'll still be on the hook for all those payments. And have no bike.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:33 AM
Administrator

A floor pump lives in my truck and our family van. Gets a ton of use and is always there. I've even stopped to help cyclists on the side of the road and they are always happy to see a floor pump rather than their mini or CO2.

That is a funny story though, not sure what I would have said either.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:59 AM

Hopefully you spent a few nickels there to keep the old guy in biz. Different strokes etc. A monster truck helps someone who is insecure and timid portray an image of a tuff guy. Doesn't matter the price, because what he achieves, is, priceless.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
The owner missed a golden sales opportunity, a Blackburn or serfas pump is like $35 retail
I would have bought one if had one to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
Hopefully you spent a few nickels there to keep the old guy in biz. Different strokes etc. A monster truck helps someone who is insecure and timid portray an image of a tuff guy. Doesn't matter the price, because what he achieves, is, priceless.
There were a couple of things I tried to purchase, but he didn't have much in stock.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 AM

I always have a valve adapter in my tool bag so I can use gas station pump in case of emergency.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I always have a valve adapter in my tool bag so I can use gas station pump in case of emergency.
I actually have two of these and they are always in my saddle bag. I just took them out a few days ago so I could use my compressor at the house to inflate a tubeless tire. I certainly won't forget to put them back in.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Yup sounds like the OP needs to leave a pump at the 'rents house too.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yup sounds like the OP needs to leave a pump at the 'rents house too.
You are correct...one less thing I need to remember to pack
Old 10-25-2021, 11:01 AM

I had a similar conversation with a bike shop owner in Kansas City, Missouri.

My wife traveled there every July for a work conference, and I'd tag along with a bike.

One day, early afternoon, I stopped in at a bike shop and commented to the owner "I don't see many cyclists out..."

His response: "You must not be from around here. Our local cyclists are smart enough to ride early in the day to avoid the heat." (you idiot...)

I frequently saw temps in the '90s, and the highest reading I saw on my Garmin was 106.

But hey, I was on vacation. Not getting up early.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-25-2021, 11:06 AM

the problem with cycling outside big cities is that there are a lot of yokels out there calling people names cuz they wear spandex bibs. I was in the Army for 4 years and there were full of those people. I stopped cycling after that for a long time just cuz the bad taste those people left in my mouth.