Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
One of the announcers (Holden?) thought that the starting keeper in the WC should be someone who plays regularly for his team. Thus implying that Johnson (starting keeper for NYC/MLS) should get the nod instead of Turner (back up for Arsenal/Premier League).
I don't agree - what do you all think.
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you, but only based on the present circumstances.

We already know that Steffen has quite a few gaffes in him.

Turner won't be playing much; best case scenario is him getting loaned out to another team. I think he's also coming back from injury?

Not a lot of good choices...
Old 06-06-2022, 06:16 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
One of the announcers (Holden?) thought that the starting keeper in the WC should be someone who plays regularly for his team. Thus implying that Johnson (starting keeper for NYC/MLS) should get the nod instead of Turner (back up for Arsenal/Premier League).
I never understood that line of arguing. A 2nd choice keeper gets to play 4x a week in training matches. Training matches aren't a sharks tank, but not a walk in the park either. They are the place to show the manager you should be a first choice. Even a benchwarmer keeper at Arsenal us used to PL pace and defending PL attacks. I don't think MLS is a bad league, but how many MLS players would be a regular starter for arsenal?playing several times a week vs a decent PL squad surely tops that.

Last edited by martl; 06-06-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I played keeper through college, so I have a special eye for good play, regardless of team.

As far as world cup starters, that's a 3 month down the track headache. Steffan or Horvath* would seem to be in front, based on their current jobs abroad. Tougher league. However, both Turner and Johnson seem like they would be good choices, due to familiarity.

*Nottingham's not known for the best defense in the EPL, so Horvath's had a workout for sure.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
I never understood that line of arguing. A 2nd choice keeper gets to play 4x a week in training matches. Training matches aren't a sharks tank, but not a walk in the park either. They are the place to show the manager you should be a first choice. Even a benchwarmer keeper at Arsenal us used to PL pace and defending PL attacks. I don't think MLS is a bad league, but how many MLS players would be a regular starter for arsenal?playing several times a week vs a decent PL squad surely tops that.
I would agree with your assessment about quality of play in the EPL for the 2nd string keepers. You always can raise skill level by playing with better players.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:46 PM

Well that was unexpected. Norway down by eight goals to England. Eight goals!

Old 07-30-2022, 02:23 PM
Strong Walker

The first matches of the new season are being played, so where Is the "OT: 2022 - 2023 Football / Calcio / Futbol / Fußball Thread" Mr. @Gsnill ??
Old 07-30-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
The first matches of the new season are being played, so where Is the "OT: 2022 - 2023 Football / Calcio / Futbol / Fußball Thread" Mr. @Gsnill ??
Supercup doesn’t count.
I stole it from echappist anyway, it’s his turn again
Old 07-30-2022, 05:24 PM

Does Women's Euro count as 2021-2022 or 2022-2023?

Other talking points. 1st round of DFB Pokal has started. Whatever the quality of 1860 München might be, its fans are something.

Also, is football coming home, oder es der fußball kommt nach hause?

Also, a bit strange to see Sadio Mané in Bayern colors...

Last edited by echappist; 07-30-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Does Women's Euro count as 2021-2022 or 2022-2023?

Other talking points. 1st round of DFB Pokal has started. Whatever the quality of 1860 München might be, its fans are something.

Also, is football coming home, oder es der fußball kommt nach hause?

Also, a bit strange to see Sadio Mané in Bayern colors...
Tomorrow at 12!!!
England can score (20) - Germany can defend.
Should be a good game.
History:When Germany reached the finals - they won (8).
Old 07-31-2022, 12:00 PM

The England vs. Germany game has an atmosphere of 22-players chase after the ball, and in the end (after AET) the Germans win...
Old 07-31-2022, 12:23 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Supercup doesn’t count.
I stole it from echappist anyway, it’s his turn again
Shame on you there is literally an EC final going on as I type this.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:28 PM

Oh my, the s***housery demonstrated by the English players. Truly hilarious. Trying to read the note passed onto the field by the German subs. As if they could read German. Obviously, if it were the English passing notes, i’m sure quite a few Germans sprachen Englische.

Also, poacher’s finish by Kelly. Thankfully, no penalties.

Lastly, props to the ref. Pretty good decisions all around (the one card shown to a German player for stepping on knee of the English GK was a tad harsh), and didn’t put up with any dark arts from the midfielders.

Last edited by echappist; 07-31-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Oh my, the s***housery demonstrated by the English players. Truly hilarious.

Lastly, props to the ref. Pretty good decisions all around (the one card shown to a German player for stepping on knee of the English GK was a tad harsh), and didn’t put up with any dark arts from the midfielders.
Disagree. Thought the ref fell for too many English players going down easily and without much if any contact. Looks like they have learned too well from Sterling, Kane , et al.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Disagree. Thought the ref fell for too many English players going down easily and without much if any contact. Looks like they have learned too well from Sterling, Kane , et al.
I would disagree. Nothing looked outrageous, and the calls certainly looked a lot better than what I'd expect from an EPL ref.

Also, the callow English chaps could take a few lessons in "game management" from the English lasses. The ball rarely traveled away from the German left side corner flag in the final ten minutes.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:48 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
I would disagree. Nothing looked outrageous, and the calls certainly looked a lot better than what I'd expect from an EPL ref.

Also, the callow English chaps could take a few lessons in "game management" from the English lasses. The ball rarely traveled away from the German left side corner flag in the final ten minutes.
there could have been a pen und maybe even a red card for that ellbow check to the face by Russo or was it Hemp.. Also i thought extended time wasting was a thing not done in England home of fair play but lets not count beans here and finish with the headline of the Postillon, germanys best news outlet: "cowardly english team chickens out from a penalty shootout vs germany by scoring in extra time"