Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Descent fitness

Too bad those 32's don't have a solid center rib.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
Here are the new 32mm Gravelking tires:

well that sucks. Aren't there enough 32mm treaded tires?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
well that sucks. Aren't there enough 32mm treaded tires?
Agree. Poor direction for Panaracer. Maybe they wanted to differentiate themselves from Grand Bois/Compass in the 32c market?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
UPS has lost my tires!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
My tires magically turned up in a box with the corner massively crushed. Luckily they were just tires, so no damage.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Agree. Poor direction for Panaracer. Maybe they wanted to differentiate themselves from Grand Bois/Compass in the 32c market?
I'm going to take a different view. These 32mm live up to the "Gravelking" moniker. The tread also looks like it would roll reasonably fast on pavement. Panaracer may be trying to differentiate these from their other 32mm road offerings, T-Serv Protex, Pasela, and Pasela PT, which have a smoother center tread.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanj View Post
I'm going to take a different view. These 32mm live up to the "Gravelking" moniker. The tread also looks like it would roll reasonably fast on pavement. Panaracer may be trying to differentiate these from their other 32mm road offerings, T-Serv Protex, Pasela, and Pasela PT, which have a smoother center tread.
Good observation(s).
Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Let us know how they roll. Would love an account.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:50 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Let us know how they roll. Would love an account.
Mounted them on my AWOL and will be posting updates.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanj View Post
They won’t roll well on pavement, they have knobs in the middle. No tire with knobs rolls well on pavement. I’m disappointed because there are very few light, high quality 32mm tires that roll fast and are reasonably durable. Paselas and TServs are more in the commuter/puncture proof world, and Gran Bois/Parigi Roubaix are extremely high performance at the price of durability. I was just hoping for a nice fast 32 with a good compromise of performance and durability, another alternative to Jack Brown or Vit. Randonneur Hyper.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I was just hoping for a nice fast 32 with a good compromise of performance and durability, another alternative to Jack Brown or Vit. Randonneur Hyper.
AMEN
Old 10-09-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
They won’t roll well on pavement, they have knobs in the middle. No tire with knobs rolls well on pavement. I’m disappointed because there are very few light, high quality 32mm tires that roll fast and are reasonably durable. Paselas and TServs are more in the commuter/puncture proof world, and Gran Bois/Parigi Roubaix are extremely high performance at the price of durability. I was just hoping for a nice fast 32 with a good compromise of performance and durability, another alternative to Jack Brown or Vit. Randonneur Hyper.
This was my thought as well. As we know, there will always be compromises when equipment is pushed. It is a lot to ask from a tire to handle the abuse of rocks and such while also being low crr. I don't think that the salad (bunch of knobs) is needed on gravel like we might assume. Give me a durable, smooth tire that won't let me down.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Well, the knobs on these tires are tiny and tightly spaced. I would want to see what Gravelbike has to say about how well the tire rolls before I dismissed it out of hand.

If you want a smooth tread, try the Compass Stampede Pass. It is 32mm, like the Grand Bois Cypres. Both of these tires' treads are made by Panaracer, and Compass Bicycle claims that they are high performance AND durable, for what it's worth (http://janheine.wordpress.com).
Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Those 32 Gravel Kings don't appear all that different down the center than the Small Block 8s I've been using for the drive-to heavy stuff. I've started using my GB Cypres' on ride-to dirt and gravel paths/roads accepting that I'd be getting a few flats or sidewall cuts. They've turned out to be rock solid thus far, no flats, cuts or damage of any sort. Next to try are the 38mm Compass Barlow Pass'.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM

I mean, the compass 32s are pretty good. you can't have it all. vittoria hypers pretty much check all your boxes. what more does one need?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Descent fitness

I can see Panaracer's rationale for these tires having those knobs: in general, the more rough stuff you will ride over, the larger the tire you will use.
That being said, a nice smooth center tread with knobs on the outside that only come into play to add traction in a corner might have been better. I'm interested in riding impressions, since these look like a good small block eight alternative.