Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2021, 07:19 AM

My Masi 3VC, my first carbon bike and road bike. I was into MTB before I got into road cycling but I absolutely love this bike
https://flic.kr/p/2kHw8sd
Old 04-03-2021, 09:56 PM
M

Talking lessons on "real" bikes

First "road" bike was an earlier version of this for ~$180 - my amazon order link now goes to a treadmill so I had to dig around to find a similar link. I tried building myself and put the fork on backwards. I took it to a local eccentric shop owner who tuned it up but warned me not to ride more than 12mi on it a time and that it was a deathtrap. I ended up giving it to a friend when I moved.

https://www.amazon.com/Women-Speed-B...ef_=ast_sto_dp

First "road racing" bike:
https://www.rei.com/product/797343/s...pact-bike-2010

I bought used in 2019 for 600 from a local shop. crankset & RD had been upgraded. I did a lot of digging in spring 2020 to figure out that the carbon was the same used in all non-pro builds through 2015 or 2016 so I upgraded everything to R7000 and bought my first wheel set upgrade - Racing 3s. Slowly building a serviceable unit.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:48 PM

Cannondale CAAD4, Shimano 105 and entry level components.

It was a made in the USA frame and boy do i miss it, unfortunatelly had to let it go after i got hit by a car.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:34 AM

Red Dawes Lightning. Got into the best shape I’ve ever been in riding that thing 4+ days a week. I stopped riding and replaced it with playing roller and ice hockey. I got back into riding on my Colnago Dream I purchased several of years ago. I’m currently building up an Allez Sprint disc because I wanted something a little more modern.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:29 PM

Recently purchased a used Specialized Alias. Riding while learning the bike, and trying to upgrading the wheels to carbon.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:00 PM

Specialized Epic Pro with all dura ace 7402 and original specialized finishing kit. Even came with the umma gumma tires in 700x19c(not pictured)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 25C85DC8-985D-487D-8AE0-0875A5F69B56.jpeg (92.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:36 AM

2002 Lemond Zurich. Still riding it as my main bike after the demise of my Orbea Lobular.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrudoff View Post
First "good bike" Clubman British Racing Green with Wingnuts for hub retention. Cottered crank, Simplex, can't remember rest, 1972, stolen when Dad left garage open bought from Bikecology in LA or Santa Monica (Bekins Building on Wilshire)
Thought I'd search to see if I had posted in this thread before, and no.

A Steyr Clubman was my first real road bike too. Cottered crank, Simplex derailleurs made of some kind of plastic that crumbled into dust (on the FD, at least), wingnuts, Weinmann centerpulls, "safety" levers, rear wheel had a rusty chrome steel rim that had an embossed braking surface (I polished it back up to shiny with metal polish, along the the rusty rear spokes), front wheel was nicer (presumably a replacement wheel or at least rim and spokes) with an aluminum rim and swaged stainless steel spokes. I estimate that mine was maybe a little older than yours, guessing 1970.

It was already vintage when I claimed the bike. It had been left collecting dust in my parent's garage for years by a relative but I had to wait until I had grown big enough to ride it, so that was junior high in 1981-1982

This bike I found doing a search has the same paint and downtube "Clubman" logo, except mine was a road bike with drop bars, narrow racing saddle, higher seat (so proportioned/set up like a race bike), no dork disc, no fenders. Also mine had a metal headtube badge instead of shiny sticker on the headtube, and white panel on the seat tube instead of the shiney panel. The front rim on the bike in the link has the embossed rims that I mentioned was on my rear wheel. This was a low- to mid-range bike, but very good/classic looking with the pinstripes and nice "Clubman" script, white panels, etc, and a good riding bike. I rode it through high school as my commute bike once I got nicer road bikes (Miyata 912, which was stolen, then a Trek 1500 which I still have kind of... left at my parent's house decades ago). It actually rode better than those '80s road bikes in large part because of the wider tires. Unfortunately, on my last ride home from high school as a graduating senior, I wrecked it, bending the frame and fork. As I stood up to accelerate, the worn chain skipped over the worn freewheel sprockets, and I crashed to the ground.

http://bicyclesafari.blogspot.com/20...town-bike.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steyr clubman vintage logo.jpg (33.9 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by xcandrew; 08-04-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:09 AM
Shifty Member

Mine was a Giant Perigee that I got back in 1990. It was a 60 cm and what I actually ride is a 56. I'm guessing we thought I had more growing to do at 15, but it didn't happen.

Though I really think of the aluminum celeste Bianchi Alloro with Ultegra that I got in 1999 as my first real road bike. It fit me well and did plenty of crits, road races, and triathlons on it.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:49 AM

The first real road bike that I bought was a 2001 Jamis Ventura. Still have it on my Wahoo Kickr.

But I had a Japanese 10 sp back in the 80's in South America that my grandfather bought me, but I don't remember the brand.

I was also given another Japanese 10 sp for my first century. And I passed it along to another person so they can use it for training.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Bianchi Stelvio - early 80s; I think that was the model name. It was a grey bike. Don't remember the components used on it - low/mid level. Good enough for office-park crits.
In reviewing this thread, I think that mine is also a Stelvio, from the early/mid 80s. I found a couple of articles/threads about it after rereading your post, and it all rings true. Entry level racer, low/mid level tubing, etc. I bought mine around '83-85 or so, but don't know how long it was in the shop before I bought it. They had HUNDREDS of frames and bikes all over the place.

Your post rings a bell in that when I bought the bike I already knew what the Stelvio was, so it wasn't just some meaningless foreign name to me.

When I shipped it to Hot Tubes last year to be fixed and repainted, there wasn't any sort of decal noting the tubes used, but Toby and I are both 99% certain that they were low level Columbus, like Aelle. Maybe the decal just came off over the decades.

From the pics I've seen however, I noticed that mine has a pump peg on the head tube, and the pics I've seen don't.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Head to Ned

My first REAL roadbike was a '79 KHS Professional frame I bought at The Spoke in Boulder, CO the summer before I headed to Boston for school. It flew back home with me and I built it up with a full Suntour Superbe group. We saw a lot of the bike paths along side the Charles river the next couple years. Rode that bike all over the surrounding towns on the weekends and after getting out of school for the day. Of course my commuting in Boston was done on a Peugeot OU8...

Still have it. The Japanese made some really nice frames in the 70's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79 KHS Professional.jpg (89.2 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by witcombusa; 08-04-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:44 PM

I considered it “real” at the time. I found cycling later in life and by sheer happenstance. I grabbed this for 70% off from a chain bike store closing a local location. I put about 1,000 miles on it before I really came to realize cycling was going to be a big part of my life. Ended up getting a fit at that point and learning this bike was at least 2 sizes too small for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 57978D9C-FEE0-4774-BF75-D71474ABCE3C.jpeg (46.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:08 AM

This is me finishing LoTOJa in the late 80s on my Bridgestone. More here: https://www.thebeautifulbicycle.com/...dgestone-rb-2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2021, 03:21 PM

Colnago C40
Shimano Dura Ace 9spd
Mavic Carbon Cosmic Wheels

Sold it a long time back and just saw it changed hands again recently.