Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Rephrasing the question:

Speed is no longer the preeminent concern. I want to have the most fun possible on a bike. Should I get a gravel bike?

Answer: Yes. And get a 2X drive train. Trust me on this.

P.S. welcome to the Forum. It’s always best to make a subtle debut. Trust me on this
I love my Force/Eagle AXS 1x mullet build. 44 x 50-10. It is simple. i used the 50 today to climb 16-18% grades. In can spin up virtually anything, and in the 44 x 10, I have a big gear to mash on downhills. If I were using the bike as an all-arounder and didn’t also own a road bike, I’d probably do a 2x. But for gravel riding, the 1x with a 12-spd cassette is great. If you don’t want to use a MTB derailleur and can’t use a MTB cassette, then 2x would be the way to go.

Last edited by djg21; 04-17-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Rephrasing the question:

Speed is no longer the preeminent concern. I want to have the most fun possible on a bike. Should I get a gravel bike?
I would respectfully disagree. If you want to maximize fun, buy a fat bike with a suspension fork.

My $0.02

Tim
Old 04-17-2021, 06:02 PM
VAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Can you ride Vietnam on your Evergreen? My first head plant on those trails back around 1988
I wouldn't try Vietnam on my Zanc with 700 x 38 tires and clipped. I have had lots of fun there with a hardtail 29er and a 27.5 + with flat pedals.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:14 PM

Is custom steel the way to go or too heavy?

I would argue its not worth the price for the benefit you get.

Is it really any fun to ride a gravel bike with road wheels on road (not for racing or anything but still 30-50 mile rides)

Its fine but if you want to go fast like in a fast group ride you will be at a disadvantage.

Do I need two sets of wheels for on and off road?

No. Gravel on the east coast especially in the MA you can ride on big road tires (30/32mm).

If I want disc brakes, Sram, and 1x11 what’s a reasonable price range?

$3-5K.

Is there any point in looking used?

Yes.

I don't know your price point or fitness level etc. But judging from my experience riding the gravel roads in New England you can get by on 30mm tires. Descents maybe a little scary depending on your handling skills. I rode a D2R2 on 28's many years back and was fine. I would of preferred wider tires but 28s were manageable.

If I were you I would get a nice carbon road-ish gravel bike or a nice carbon road bike that can fit 30-32mm tires. I think these are your two choices of bikes and you know better which one you do you best. Good luck and congratulations!

Last edited by joosttx; 04-17-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Can you ride Vietnam on your Evergreen? My first head plant on those trails back around 1988
I wouldn't think of it. I ride a lot of the local singletrack, but 'Nam is waaaaay too technical for me on a gravel bike. Lots of rock - lots. Heck, there's old quarries all over the place here. I used to ride there a lot when I rode my mtb more because it's right down the street. Riding habits have changed and I haven't touched my mtb much at all.

I think the last time I rode 'Nam, I ended up with shoulder surgery.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpalomba View Post
Hi all,

New to posting here but looking for advice. I am from MA and just finished up grad school in San Diego and am now back in Boston. I have ridden most road and some gravel over the last 10 or so years. Partially tired of my aggressive road geo and partially itching for a new bike, I am thinking of getting a gravel bike that I can ride on road and trails. Seems too good to be true. I was hoping for some advice based on some thoughts:

Is custom steel the way to go or too heavy?
Is it really any fun to ride a gravel bike with road wheels on road (not for racing or anything but still 30-50 mile rides)
Do I need two sets of wheels for on and off road?
If I want disc brakes, Sram, and 1x11 what’s a reasonable price range?
Is there any point in looking used?

Not in any rush to buy, still need to save up, just dreaming.

Thanks!
I wouldn't buy into the 'Gravel' bike gig too completely. Buy a 'bike', probably with disc brakes(tire clearance clarence), buy some on road and off road tires..or maybe some that 'work' on both and go ride.

There is a of of marketing involved with 'purpose driven' bikes these days but for YOU, get a frame/bike that fits...outfit it according to what, where, how you ride and go ride.

'Might' just be a 'bike'....

A "Gravel" bike with road wheels or a 'Road' bike with gravel wheels..LOTSA overlap and really minor differences.

IMHO and all that.
Quote:
Quote:
Its fine but if you want to go fast like in a fast group ride you will be at a disadvantage.
My aunt matilda's mustache..My group once got our butt's kicked by a guy on a city bike with a milk carton strapped to the back with a dog in it..
With the YUGE variety of even pure road bikes..'bike type' is lost in the noise. This gent on a 'gravel' bike, with 'road' tires, won't be auto dropped 'cus he's on a 'gravel' bike.
Just like some dude on a MXLeader..in a crowd of plastic fantastic road bikes, isn't necessarily 'at a disadvantage'...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-18-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Tags
advice, gravel, road, sram, steel